Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up GIMP or GTK on Windows

Options
  • 09-05-2005 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Can somebody walk me through exactly whats involved in doing this? Basically i want to install a c compiler on my computer with a GUI toolkit(i've heard either GIMP or GTK are the best), and so far i can't seem to do it. I've downloaded a couple of source codes and such, but it never works for me. Do i have set classpaths and all that? Like i said, i need a walkthrough, so any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Amaru

Anybody? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

On a related note, anyone know of a guide to fiddling with the settings for fonts used etc. on GTK as a user?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I thought GIMP was a paint program, not a c compiler?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

GTK is a windowing toolkit that IIRC GIMP uses (pretty sure it does).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

GTK = Gimp ToolKit.

What OS are you using, firstly?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Amaru wrote:
    Can somebody walk me through exactly whats involved in doing this? Basically i want to install a c compiler on my computer with a GUI toolkit(i've heard either GIMP or GTK are the best), and so far i can't seem to do it. I've downloaded a couple of source codes and such, but it never works for me. Do i have set classpaths and all that? Like i said, i need a walkthrough, so any help appreciated.

Download the binaries (ie. installable versions - not source)

Then
    left click GTK
    install GTK
    left click Gimp
    install Gimp

done.

Clicky for more info

Apparently, i don't need GIMP at all, because, as previously mentioned, its an image manipulation tool. So what i really need is GTK, because i want to design a GUI. So i've got GTK installed, but it doesn't let me compile. Do i need to have a compiler already installed?

Nevermind. I really should read more before i post...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

MYOB wrote:
    GTK = Gimp ToolKit.
    According to Bugzilla:
    GIMP = GNU Image Manipulation Program
    I think GTK = GNU (or Gnome) ToolKit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement