Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ROTR - Test your knowledge

Options
  • 09-05-2005 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hmm, I thought a thread about some of the more unusual / less well known / quirky Rules of the Road might provide some infotainment.

So here's a question:
    When should you indicate right, but you must turn left?

Hints:
    - it's not a trick question, it occurs quite frequently
    - it's not counter-steering

Whoever gets it right asks the next question.

causal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

When coming off a slip-road onto a roadway. I.e. merging on to a flow of traffic you will indicate right but you're actually "turning-left"

Do I win the cookie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

When entering a roundabout intending to exit from an exit beyond straight ahead.

Edit - next question: motorists must yield to pedestrians crossing a road at a junction: true or false?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

True, i would have thought...

If i am right:
    Who has the top priority on our roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

prospect wrote:

If i am right:

Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

prospect wrote:

If i am right:

The Gardai on the way to the chipper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

:D:D
    Sorry mate, not this time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Animals have top priority (coz they're dumb) followed closesly by wimmin (for the same reason) :eek: :D

[EDIT] next question: Are you allowed to exceed the speed limit as part of a routine overtaking manouvre?

Hint: There was a recent thread about this ;)

causal

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

causal wrote:
    Animals have top priority (coz they're dumb) followed closesly by wimmin (for the same reason) :eek: :D
    What if it's a wimmin driver?

Then those cows better MOOooove ! :D:o

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

prospect wrote:

Anyone paying €1343 road tax. They own the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

causal wrote:

[EDIT] next question: Are you allowed to exceed the speed limit as part of a routine overtaking manouvre?

causal
    I am not 100% sure about this, but as the question is worded, I would say that the answer is no, I think I remember reading something about being able to exceed the speed limit to avoid an accident, but I can't really remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

causal wrote:

Hint: There was a recent thread about this ;)

causal

I think the law is ambiguous on this one; on the 1 hand you aren't allowed exceed the speed limit, but on the other hand the move has to be completed as quickly and as safely as possible. The proper answer is how close are the guards ;)

I am not 100% sure about this, but as the question is worded, I would say that the answer is no,
    Correct you cannot break the speed limit - you get to ask the next question ;)

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Are you allowed to drive through a flashing amber light at a pedestrian crossing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

if it is a ped crossing with traffic lights yes so long as no one else is going to cross.

What is the min tread depth of a motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Are you allowed to drive through a flashing amber light at a pedestrian crossing?

Once there's no pedestrian in the process of crossing

astec123 wrote:
    What is the min tread depth of a motorbike.
    1mm

Q. What is the maximum speed limit for a 'Goods Vehicle with a dgvw > 3.5 metric tonnes'*?

*i.e. big trucks, artics etc.

causal

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

causal wrote:
    Q. What is the maximum speed limit for a 'Goods Vehicle with a dgvw > 3.5 metric tonnes'*?

*i.e. big trucks, artics etc.
    80km/h, which to my knowledge also applies to motorways. However, this info hasn't been shared with the haulage industry!

kbannon wrote:
    80km/h, which to my knowledge also applies to motorways. However, this info hasn't been shared with the haulage industry!
    Yep, you're absolutely right on all counts. I'm hoping this thread will raise awareness of many such obvious 'anomalies' between the Rules of the Road - and the (often illegal) Reality of the Road! You get to ask the next question...

causal

I do? woo-hoo

Right then (Im asking two!)
    1. what are the different types of road sign and what does each look like?
    2. What are the reaction & braking distances @ 60mph?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You are a demanding git late at night, Here goes:

1. Warning-yellow diamonds for normal hazzards Orange diamonds for roadworks
    2. Regulatory signs, circlular mostly white disc with red border, exceptions Stop sign, 8 sided and yield, triangular.
    3. Information signs, rectangular green on N roads, White on R roads and Blue on Motorways.

@60mph Reaction distance is 60ft (18m) Braking distance is 180ft (55m) total 240ft or 73m. source: http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/garage/stopmph.htm

My question:
    Describe in detail the procedure for dealing with a unmanned gated level crossing :D

Is that all the signs there are?

I presume if it is gated but unmanned then you need to contact Irish Rail and see if a train is approaching before you consider opening the gates. However, as Irish Rail cannot keep to their schedules, the info given by the person you talk to will probably not be correct!

Edit: WRT the braking distances, how accurate are they as they were calculated many years ago? Presumably reaction times haven't changed but surely with better braking components, the stopping distance will have decreased?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Its in the ROTR book but I think they only exist in the book and not in reality as you point out they would be far too dangerous.

Advertisement