Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing broadband connection

Options
  • 09-05-2005 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

I am using NTL BB and would like to share the connection with another PC in the same room. I am in 2 minds whether to get a wired broadband router to share the connection as the PCs are so close together or to go for a wireless one 54Mb in case I move one of the PCs to another room in the future. I am a bit reluctant in buying a wireless router if I don't get to use the wireless but for awhile in case a faster one comes out in the next few months. Is there something coming out soon that I should wait for in terms of faster than 54Mb? I have seen that some manufacturers have a Super G router but they seem to be proprietory.

Any advice much appreciated.

Dara

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

You could go 108Mb wireless - that's an option. 54Mb is pretty much the norm at the minute. If you've a laptop, then yes, consider wireless. But if you're using two PC's - how often are you goign to move one/both around?

A quick and easy wired solution is this - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=124751&cks=PRL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

Thanks SwampThing. Both PCs have ethernet cards so I am probably thinking more on the lines of http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309007&cks=PRL

It has a parallel print server included which would be very handy.

Do you know much about SMC? I assume that this will do the job for general browsing, email and the odd BitTorrent. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

similar question from here.

we have a BT network and its shared among 3 people, but while normal surfing runs perfectly regardless of how many are using the connection when one tries to go online gaming the ping is beyond horrible (i mean in excess of 500) si there someway i can tweak the router to allow me a better gaming connecton.

details of connection:

NetGear Router
    downstream 2272kbps
    upstream 288 kbps
    IP xxx.xx.xxx.xxxxxxxx
    VCI 38

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

And yet another similar question:

Have a 2272 Kbps DSL connection to my router (linksys WAG54G) and 2 PC's connected, 1 wirelessly (54G) & 1 wired (10Mbit).... trouble is the wired PC hogs the bandwidth! (I think!) Only ever get about 1200 Kbps to the wireless PC, & ping dies as soon as the wired PC goes online..... anyway just curious if anybody has any idea's??

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

Thanks SwampThing. Both PCs have ethernet cards so I am probably thinking more on the lines of http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309007&cks=PRL

It has a parallel print server included which would be very handy.

Do you know much about SMC? I assume that this will do the job for general browsing, email and the odd BitTorrent. What do you think?

Jez, they'll be making them with builtin web-sites next - no need for BB at all!

That'll be fine for what you want it to do - good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement