Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone elses wi-fi network

• 09-05-2005 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

Just sitting here in the office... and I turned on my Airport (Mac Wifi card) and I'm able to pick up someone's wireless network... from the office next door...

I think it's one of the Eircom bundled ones from what info I can pull from Google... I'm also able to hit the unprotected control panel for the router...

I could be really mean and change their settings, but I won't... is there anything I can do the let them know that their network is completely open? without going over there? and saying something like 'excuse me sir, but your wireless network seems to be open!'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

You could send an SMB message thing to 192.168.1.1 (if it's the netopia router) but you probably shouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

shut it down every time they turn it on until its turned on with WPA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Call in and let them know. It's the right thing to do...
    If they still don't protect it, change their SSID to: SECURE ME PLEASE!!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

i would keep disabling the wireless and renaming the SSID to something like Krusty said like, SECURE ME!!!! until they enable security

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Just keep using their internet. For free.
    Or take the moral road and tell them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Tell them if nothing done about it after a day block there access and use it for your personal use.
    They will have to learn the hard way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What's the big deal with telling them? Surely they would appreciate it?

Surely there are greater moral dilemnas out there for us to agonise over :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Two options:

1) Tell them.
    2) Do nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭tech

Ive noticed quite alot of wide open Wireless router around Cork you can quite happly surf away on there AP's and some of the router are even unprotected, Its very scray to think ppl are installing these AP's and probaly charging people a fortune to do so, Whats the best way to approach these open AP's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

use it to practice your hacking skills on the CIA website and see how long it takes before they secure it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

i learned my lesson from that lol
    with my BT router ppl kept joining in! you cant stop the wireless n00b :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Zwartsj

Hi im Joe long time reader first time typer

I was just sitting here thinking
    my ISP has told me that I am not allowed to sell or share my connection with a 3rd party (I have no problem with this)

but i have a wireless router and lest say my neighbour gets to log on to this router from time to time "with out my knowledge of this"
    is there a way my ISP can find out if there is some one using the connection?
    "Without my knowledge"

As I have been told that should I share my connection they may cancel my subscription at any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

welll,

there is a differnce between unwillingly sharing your connection and willingly doing so.

they won't find out either way, unless you tell them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

the clever people at eircom supply it like this ! , don't tell them by the way ,just don;t abuse the connection

seen lots of these , 192.168.1.254 ...thank you ..and welcome to the netopia control panel , how would you like to f*** over my customer today !

you get the best speeds though when people go home from the office for the evening , should make some funny arguement between them and eircom , Sir you went 80Gb over your download limit this month !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

formatman wrote:
    the clever people at eircom supply it like this ! , don't tell them by the way ,just don;t abuse the connection

seen lots of these , 192.168.1.254 ...thank you ..and welcome to the netopia control panel , how would you like to f*** over my customer today !

you get the best speeds though when people go home from the office for the evening , should make some funny arguement between them and eircom , Sir you went 80Gb over your download limit this month !

Ah, yes, theft.

Lovely.

If you MUST use someone else's connection, don't abuse it :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

formatman wrote:

The security on those Netopias is crap, assuming its secure coz its on the inside of the net is an incredibly bad idea...

Advertisement