Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card fraud, for the Paranoid

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

I forgot to mention that I never use my credit card to withdraw money from atms, mainly because it's too expensive to do so as you get charged for it. So my card wasnt cloned whilst using an atm with someone watching/a hidden camera to see my pin as I only ever use it in shops and on the net.

So it still baffles me how someone managed to get my pin and then withdraw money from atms. Is there some way that they can change the pin to whatever number they want on the cloned card?

Anyway, I'll never let my card out of my sight when using it anywhere again. I was told it's highly unlikely to happen twice but I wont be taking any chances. I was on holiday interrailing around eastern Europe two months ago and have only used the card once since then so I reckon it's likely it happened over there as I used it a few times to pay for hostels and such. I hope it did happen there because if it was here then who's to say it won't happen again if I use my new credit card in the same shop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

your magnetic strip was read at some point by a machine

your pin number was noted at some point by a camera or human

You must have used your card in a shop where you entered you PIN
    as you handed the card to the shopkeeper he swiped it through his magnetic strip reader firstly which then told him to use the PIN reader, which he did, and you entered your PIN in the usual way

the fact that he seiped it though his magnetic card reader first is not unusual many people still do that when they are not thinking or the default card in their area is still a magnetic strip one, but it seems his reader was "dirty" and he had a human or a camera watch your PIN entry

his reader, in the terminal has some tamper resistant features, but as the terminal is attached to the card reader by a wire it is likely he had it just under the counter, out of your site, and attached to it was a stand alone magstrip reader, probably also black

once you left he had the magstip data and the PIN, he then found a blank card from his collection and wrote the magstip data onto it, and memorised the PIN, he then went to an ATM and simply withdrew whatever he wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

Is the PIN stored only on the card or in the bank as well? If it is in the bank there is a chance your information was sold by an insider.

Dispatches did a piece on call center workers selling banking details for a tenner. I saw the show and some of them were Irish banks form what I remember.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6123067.html

/edit if you used it to pay for hostels then that was probably it, people working behind the desk in hostels are often travellers looking to make a few bob, not permanent employees.

That being said, it can happen anywhere, from the dodgiest petrol station to the fanciest boutique.

Advertisement