Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless router?

• 09-05-2005 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

I am using NTL BB and would like to share the connection with another PC in the same room. I am in 2 minds whether to get a wired broadband router to share the connection as the PCs are so close together or to go for a wireless one 54Mb in case I move one of the PCs to another room in the future. I am a bit reluctant in buying a wireless router if I don't get to use the wireless but for awhile in case a faster one comes out in the next few months. Is there something coming out soon that I should wait for in terms of faster than 54Mb? I have seen that some manufacturers have a Super G router but they seem to be proprietory.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

802.11g will be around for a while, I guess, and the investment is too large to be worried about future depreciation.

I have both networks at home - 100 mbps wired and 54 wireless - and to be honest there isn't much difference unless you are looking for massive data transfers or video streaming applications.

It really depends on what you want to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Any idea if you can run that wireless router with Eircom Phonewatch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

magpie wrote:
    Any idea if you can run that wireless router with Eircom Phonewatch?

If you have broadband working already then you will have no problems

Cool, thanks.

Can you recommend a wireless router that I could plug my desktop into directly and also access with my laptop via a wireless card? Or do they all do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

magpie wrote:
    Cool, thanks.

Can you recommend a wireless router that I could plug my desktop into directly and also access with my laptop via a wireless card? Or do they all do that?

Any from www.Netgear.com

I got http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG511U.php

and this router :- http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGT634U.php

• Advertisement

Does the desktop need a network card? Any on Komplett.ie that would do the job? I haven't the foggiest about this stuff.

magpie wrote:
    Does the desktop need a network card? Any on Komplett.ie that would do the job? I haven't the foggiest about this stuff.

No, you plug the bb into the router and then router into the desktop.

The router sends signal around the house for your laptop to pic up !

D

Did you order it from the states? If so how much did the whole whack cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

netgrear or linksys.

both are easy to set up and oofer all the features you could want.

magpie wrote:
    Did you order it from the states? If so how much did the whole whack cost?

No PC World in Blanch ! they have loads ! do you have NTL cable or ADSL broadband ?

Get a router with a built in modem if its ADSL like a Lynsky Router and get them to get the most suitable card to go with the router. Its very easy to set up and I'm no techie.

If you need a help let me know !

• Advertisement

you will get them at www.marxcomputers.ie in fairview
    for what you want it for the cheapest one will do.
    The router will cost you 70-80
    The wireless card 30-40

Thanks for the help guys. Its for Eircom Broadband.

magpie wrote:

get this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306185&cks=PLC

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

No get this if you want to play with xbox live
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE878534&productID=86360
    http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE878519&productID=86354

Only costs 100. I got mine this morning and im just setting it up now

That looks just the ticket. Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭fiacha

Drapper wrote:

I installed this one on Friday. No setup required, just turned off the NTL cable modem, plugged the ethernet port into the router WAN port and powered everything up. Worked first time.

only config needed is to setup the wireless security and change the default username, password etc.

fiacha wrote:
    I installed this one on Friday. No setup required, just turned off the NTL cable modem, plugged the ethernet port into the router WAN port and powered everything up. Worked first time.

only config needed is to setup the wireless security and change the default username, password etc.

Easy as fook ;-) BTW make sure you change the password !! my neigbours 3of them have wifi and "no password" and I can logg onto thier BB :-) so amke it secure !!#

Seems not to matter whether you secure it or not.....
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article111.php

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

magpie wrote:
    If it is for Eircom Broadband, give them a ring and see if they will sell you one of their own wireless routers for €49. They will send it out to you already pre-configured for your connection; it is literally just plug-in and go. (They will also support it if you have problems, which is nice.) They were doing this for their own existing customers a few months ago, before they started giving them out free with new connections - with this new special offer I now have constant broadband access around most of Ranelagh :-)

The routers are Netopia 802.11b and also have a four-port 100mbps switch, so you can use that to connect to the two computers if you don't want to use wireless for them. 802.11b is faster than any broadband currently available, so it isn't a bottleneck. You _will_ need _either_ a wired ethernet or wireless ethernet card in each computer. Just about anything will do the job (check if your computer doesn't already have integrated ethernet on the motherboard.)

egan007 wrote:
    Seems not to matter whether you secure it or not.....
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article111.php

;)

lol :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Hi Guys,

Does anybody have any experience with this one

I need to setup the following one laptop and one desktop and one wireless laptop -

First laptop has a intel pro 100+mini pci
    desktop has a Intel Pro/100 Ve

The other laptop is a centrino - One nic port a Pro 100 Ve - and a intergrated intel pro/wireless 2200BG connection.

The Incoming connection is a Ripwave,

Would it be possible to connect the desktop and the laptop(non wireless) to the ethernet ports on the router, and the Ripwave to the Wan port, and use the laptop to connect wireless -

Are there any other advantages to the Speedbooster says on there site it boost the performance by 35% roughly?

Or would you recommend a different router altogether? for instance a netgear one.

Not quite sure wich one to go for-

:confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

anybody???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That one should be fine as long as Ripwave is ethernet rather than USB based. You should be able to do exactly as you suggest.

Don't know how "Speedbooster" works although I suspect despite their claims that you would need the other wireless devices to be Linksys also to get the full benefit. In any case, Ripwave is (AFAIK) 512 Kbps and basic 802.11g is 54 Mbps so it isn't going to be the limiting factor.

Might be an idea to ask Irish Broadband if there is any device they recommend in particular? But you should be fine with this one, or a Netgear either for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

sorry for slightly OT but does anyone know what the input voltage is to the linksys wireless adaper? Moved house and mains adapter gone missing, voltage not marked on unit.

Any info appreciated

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just got a netgear DG834G and have it setup in 5 minutes http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834G.php

Lovely piece of kit and using it with a MSI Cardbus adaptor that I picked up from Komplett ages ago in their sale.

Advertisement