Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oracle Buys into Siebel

Options
  • 09-05-2005 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

Has anybody else heard this. Siebel has been in Financial trouble and there have been rumours flying about. Hopefully not bad enough that Oracle is buying them out!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

(a) What has this to do with programming?

(b) Pump-n-dump? or insider trading.

News says nowts happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

a) If not the programming forum then I'm not exactly sure where to post it. Perhaps you think the After Hours forum is more appropriate??

IMO this story is of interest to many programmers from several standpoints. The increasing homegenisation of ERP and CRM products for one. From a programming standpoint theres the issue of the work involved interfacing Siebels VB interface to Oracle.

If this is solely a code monkey forum with no mandate for discussion of the wider issues then thats fair enough.

b) pump-and-dump/insider trading: your taking this forum a little too seriously mate, sheesh :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's probably a forum under the Soc category for it.

Pretty bad alright, anything that expands the Oracle empire is bad.

I work with Oracle mainly but honestly it's pretty inferior to Siebel or SAP for that matter. BTW I agree with you about Oracle

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

There is a business forum.

• Advertisement

Hypothetically, if there were suggestions that Microsoft was buying Red Hat or Sun Microsystems. Would you be suggesting to move that to the Business Forum?

I don't think so ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yes, since these news items have nothing to do with programming! They are business oriented, however may affect certain programmers.

Some posts are deliberately intended to be open ended

This has impacted the share price of Siebel, etc, so obviously you can say it is a business topic. Nevertheless it is also a programming topic.

My reason for posting was to have a discussion on this from a programmers perspective, since if it does go ahead then it's a significant watershed in the monopolisation of the database/ERP/CRM market by Oracle.

Hence I posted here rather than Business. Having read the charter I fail to see anything explicitly saying that this type of post was not allowed.

Anyway that's enough about it :D

Advertisement