Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abstract Title

Options
  • 09-05-2005 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

You may have read my business cards post and figured out I was going to a conference this weekend. Thing is, I need a "bs" job title, why I hear you say, I am trying to sell myself in a completely new field ... politics. I am an embedded programmer by trade, who moonlights in PR from time to time. I want a title which sounds good, but is rubbish, doesn't commit me to anything, but at the same time reflect my technology expierence and bit & pieces of PR work.

I was thinking "New Media Consultant".

What do you think, you guys must have come across lots of bs job title's. Let me have me please, for entertainment if nothing else.

Regards

RayK

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Isn't New Media a bit passé since all the New Media companies went titsup?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

I don't think people remember back that far Adam,
    any alternative spring to mind ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Nah, sorry. I always liked "Chief Technologist", but I've never had the opportunity to use it, and it isn't entirely appropriate in this context anyway. I'm an "Internet Consultant" meself, which isn't exactly sexy, but at least it isn't that hard to explain to a non-techie. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Great thread - "What to call Ray.........."

Cyril Dunne just got himself appointed "Group Transformation Director" in BOI. Have to say that has a sexy ring to it. He is usually one step ahead of the posse. I would suggest that you consider "Transformation" in your title. But be sure to put at least one positive adjective next to it. Something like "Strategic Transformation Consultant" If you want to avoid "Consultant", try using enabler, facilitator or even implementer instead.

/edit: If you want people to come up with imaginative titles for you, try posting this in afterhours....

I have decided to forget the title, if people remember me on the merit of what I say and do, then have my contact details also, no abstract title is going to encourage them to call.

I amn't going to try and subsitute my lack of expierence with a crappy title. It felt like a bad idea from the start, I just couldn't articulate why until now, cheers for the input though.

• Advertisement

Cyril Dunne -- He was a member of the Irish Government's Information Society Steering Committee 1995-1996 which set out the blueprint for the development of Ireland as an "Information Society". In 2003 became a member of the Garda Siochana I.T. Telecommunications Executive Committee.

Now for what I know of both of these matters, it doesn't sound to me like he should be promote these as successes ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I would suggest you just put down 'Consultant' or 'Analyst' on your card, without any further description. Says what you are without any additional BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

'Media Analyst' or 'Media Consultant'?

Advertisement