Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom telephone line is not broadband enabled

• 09-05-2005 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Just signed up for a phone line from our beloved Eircom. Have to get it for the alarm system. Was planning on moving to smart in a while usual story. Got a number from Eircom - went up to eircom.ie and entered it into the 'can you get broadband' yokey and i see red. Ring up eircom support and get the greatest load of ****e. Long and the short of it is i cannot get Eircom BB and they have no idea why and have now idea when, if ever, i will be able to get it.

Anybody have any way of finding out what the story is?

Cheers,
    Eain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

ehhh, maybe because you ahve a monitored alarm on it?
    eircom say their broadband isnt compatible with PhoneWatch service.

Either that or the exchange simply isnt DSL-enabled, and god only knows when/if eircom would upgrade it, Esat, leap or Smart might be enabled now, or in the future perhaps, check them all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Dont every other provider (bar wireless systems) rent eircoms local exchange to provide their broadband service? If the exchange is not enabled, theres nothing anymore bar Eircom can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

I'm on the sandyford exchange which seemingly is enabled so i assume it is something to do with my distance from the exchange or sumfink else like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

JNive wrote:
    ehhh, maybe because you ahve a monitored alarm on it?
    eircom say their broadband isnt compatible with PhoneWatch service.

Either that or the exchange simply isnt DSL-enabled, and god only knows when/if eircom would upgrade it, Esat, leap or Smart might be enabled now, or in the future perhaps, check them all out.

This is so stupid. You can't get Eircom broadband connected to a house that has Eircom's phonewatch installed. WTF??? They were the one's who crippled the line with their phonewatch, they should be the ones to fix it.

I might be wrong though.. what's the deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Dont every other provider (bar wireless systems) rent eircoms local exchange to provide their broadband service? If the exchange is not enabled, theres nothing anymore bar Eircom can do about it.

eircom => themselves
    UTV => bitstream ADSL => relies on eircom
    BTIreland => bitstream ADSL => relies on eircom
    Netsource => bitstream ADSL => relies on eircom
    Hosting365 => bitstream ADSL => relies on eircom

BTIreland business => LLU ADSL => EsatBT's own equipment
    Smart => LLU ADSL => Smart's own equipment
    Leap => LLU ADSL => Leap's own equipment

All Wireless = their own equipment completely seperate from phone network
    then there's NTL...

In general, bitstream is far more widely available than LLU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

I don't have eircom phonewatch, want the alarm to dial my mobile when it goes off so i need the landline. Looked into mobile/wireless alternatives but pretty pricey( 800 +) so was going to get eircom and go smart in a couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I have no idea where EirCON are going with this crap about monitored alarms.. I have a monitored alarm & had eircom on a 2 month trial.. I tried the alarm connected in every possible configuration & with & without a filter ,none of these made any difference to BB performance... At the end of the day a digital dialler is basically just another phone in the house...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

if you have the line less than 1 month, i think there is a chance eircom just have not tested it yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

You CAN use BB with phonewatch. Be it eircon or someone else... had it fine with ESAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

tuxy wrote:
    if you have the line less than 1 month, i think there is a chance eircom just have not tested it yet
    Thats true.. Another thing to try is this. Go to the ordering area & procede to order BB. A different resust will show up here. You may get a result saying "one of you lines is suitable for BB" & then beside the number it shows "unable to determine suitability"
    This seems to mean the line is on a enabeled exchange but need to be tested.. request the line to be tested again & try in a week or so

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

weeslip wrote:
    Just signed up for a phone line from our beloved Eircom. ..................................

Anybody have any way of finding out what the story is?

Cheers,
    Eain

When was your line actually connected? It probably will not show up for about a month (at max) after that as to whether it will pass for bb or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Is NTL or smart enabled where you are for BB. Might as well take your money to them or IBB rather than let eircom rip you off. Besides even if you did get their 2Mb package for example there no guarantee you'll get the speeds you want. See here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Saruman wrote:
    You CAN use BB with phonewatch. Be it eircon or someone else... had it fine with ESAT
    Quite correct. afaik eircom are the only ones who will 'prepare a monitored line for bb' - for about €99 last I heard. i.e. Smart and the likes won't do it.
    Check out how to do it yourself in the sticky How to self install DSL if you have an alarm [Guide]

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I have phonewatch. I ordered BB with Esat, no problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

beller b wrote:
    At the end of the day a digital dialler is basically just another phone in the house...

This is partially true, the crux of the problem is in the way the dialler is wired.
    Normal phones and equipment are wired in parallel with each other whereas the dialer is wired in series with the phone line, this is nessesary because the dialler needs to sieze the line from the other equipment which has the potential to be left off hook leading to a line lock out which would prevent the dialler from placing a call.
    The problem with broadband is that your line is passing through the circuitry in the dialler which may partially or fully block the frequency used by DSL; particularly if it is an older generation dialler. In my experience the newer ones don't seem to cause much in the way of problems; but if your DSL signal is weak the additional attenuation caused by the dialler may push it over the threshold of being usable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Surely if the first connection from the socket was the dsl splitter then the dsl frequencies could be split before the dialler -> phone series. The dialler could override the phones as it is not using the DSL frequencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Surely if the first connection from the socket was the dsl splitter then the dsl frequencies could be split before the dialler -> phone series. The dialler could override the phones as it is not using the DSL frequencies.

No, Becuase the dialler is connected in series with the line before it reaches any sockets. This is the only way it can be sure of getting a dialtone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Look all the happens on most phonewatch systems (except maybe the first ones) are that if the alarm goes off, it cuts off the DSL and takes over the phone line to dial.. thats it.. once its over the DSL will be back, if not connect again with your router.. The self install works fine and just dont tell anyone you have a phonewtch system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Its most definatly possible, but odds are they don't want to be liable for any losses caused if your dsl connection interferes with your monitored alarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭jd

If it is a new line it may take up to 4 weeks to be tested.

jd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The alarm system *could* screw up your DSL connection.

The phoneline comes into the house, goes through the alarm panel and then back out to the phone sockets.

Phonewatch alarms use a very slow Bell103 (300 baud) modem that would transmit over a barbed wire fence, never mind a clear telephone line with DSL.
    (it only sends a very short burst of data so the modem doesn't need to be fast, but does need to be extremely reliable)

The alarm system also monitors the state of the line all the time. If you pick up your phone and dial ** the panel siezes the line and answers (this would cut your DSL off)

It also listens to the line intermittently to see if it's intact. So, again that could make your DSL problematic.

The eircom spliter-master-socket unit handles alarm connections perfectly btw.

What they don't want is anything on the phoneline before the alarm system, this might be necessary if the DSL was being messed up by the panel.

Advertisement