Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminating Eircom 2 month trial / Esat BT turnaround

• 09-05-2005 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Sorry, I'm having problems with the search facility and can't find any info. (maybe a problem with firefox)

Aaaanyway, I want to cancel this trial now. I've another month left but I've had enough of these cowboys and will be moving over to EsatBT. Their 2MB service with line rental seems to be cheaper than Eircom's 1MB service and line rental. :confused:

As Eircom have continuously screwed me over and mislead me over the past few months, I am left feeling slightly sceptical about their 'no obligation free trial'.

Is says on the cancellation form:
    eircom broadband trial cancellation:
    If you want to keep your broadband connection, simply close this window. You will not be charged for connection (save €99 inc. VAT) or the router we have supplied (save €145.20 inc. VAT)*. You will automatically be entering into a 12 month broadband contract.
    This suggests to me that I'll be charged €99 connection fee if I do cancel? Misleading...
    Broadband terms and conditions

Cancelling your trial & returning your broadband equipment*

We need you to return the broadband router and associated equipment within 10 working days of the FREE trial ending. If you fail to return this within this timeframe, eircom reserves the right to charge €145.20 (inc. VAT).
    *Applies to wired routers only.

So customers who availed of the free wireless router can keep it free of charge?

I take it that there will be unavoidable downtime to my broadband service whilst moving over to EsatBT. The EsatBT support person said that the order can't go through until I cancel the free trial with Eircom. Then there's a 15/20 day wait until EsatBT move my line over - THIS IS RIDICULOUS! Eircom again making it difficult for the customer to move over. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

morlan wrote:
    Sorry, I'm having problems with the search facility and can't find any info. (maybe a problem with firefox)

Aaaanyway, I want to cancel this trial now. I've another month left but I've had enough of these cowboys and will be moving over to EsatBT. Their 2MB service with line rental seems to be cheaper than Eircom's 1MB service and line rental. :confused:

As Eircom have continuously screwed me over and mislead me over the past few months, I am left feeling slightly sceptical about their 'no obligation free trial'.

Is says on the cancellation form:

This suggests to me that I'll be charged €99 connection fee if I do cancel? Misleading...

So customers who availed of the free wireless router can keep it free of charge?

I take it that there will be unavoidable downtime to my broadband service whilst moving over to EsatBT. The EsatBT support person said that the order can't go through until I cancel the free trial with Eircom. Then there's a 15/20 day wait until EsatBT move my line over - THIS IS RIDICULOUS! Eircom again making it difficult for the customer to move over. :mad:

I just cancelled my Eircom BB free trial (basically because I'm waiting for Smart Telecom as they're cheaper) but I got a phone call from Eircom last night (well my dad did I wasn't in) and they were asking all sorts of questions.

Why did I cancel?
    Was I a student? :confused:
    WTF?!

My dad avoided all the questions but they said they'd call again tonight.

What should I say if they ask why I cancelled?
    Anyone have any suggestions?
    :)
    Time to vent!
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Tell them to fcuk off and never call back again!!!

They have no right to constantly ring up if you dont want to talk to them.
    I believe they are just trying to do a survey...but if you dont want to help them add more stats then you shouldnt be forced into it.

They might take the hint if you act like this person
    http://rapidshare.de/files/1676348/Rung_1_too_many_times_by_BT.wma.html

Note: Above contains lots of curseing and emphaisis should be changed to Eircom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

julius wrote:
    Tell them to fcuk off and never call back again!!!

They have no right to constantly ring up if you dont want to talk to them.
    I believe they are just trying to do a survey...but if you dont want to help them add more stats then you shouldnt be forced into it.

They might take the hint if you act like this person
    http://rapidshare.de/files/1676348/Rung_1_too_many_times_by_BT.wma.html

Note: Above contains lots of curseing and emphaisis should be changed to Eircom!

Couldn't access that sound file. Any chance you can post it? I'm intruiged ;)

The thing is I downloaded a sh!t load and went waaaaaaaay over the cap but if its truely a 'free' trial I shouldn't have to pay.

I think I'll say something like 'Im moving to Smart as they don't have a cap'
    or some unfounded comment to see if they actually know anything about BB.

Cheers
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭WillieFlynn

mathie wrote:
    Why did I cancel?
    Was I a student? :confused:
    WTF?!

My dad avoided all the questions but they said they'd call again tonight.

What should I say if they ask why I cancelled?
    Anyone have any suggestions?

Tell them you will happly stay with them if they give you a better deal than smart!!

If they ask are you a student? Reply do you have a special student deal.

Ask them for comregs phone number, if you feel they are startling to harrass you.

Willie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Don't tell them anything. A condition of their free trils is that it is a no obligation / no questions asked free trial.

When I cancelled my free trial, I went to their website to cancel. It asked me why I was cancelling. So I didn't cancel there. I rang tham up, giving it loads. I told them that they're advertisements state that I can cancel without any questions. He said that it was probably just a marketing question or survey.

That is irrelevant. No questions cancellation is no questions cancellation. Don't tell them a thing. Like you, they're screwed me countless times in the past also.

The only reason I got a phone line in the house a few months ago was to get Internet. The minute I got off the phone with Eircom, after getting my account and phone number, I rang Smart direct.Technically, I think I was on Eircoms account all of 10 minutes. In reality it was a month because Eircom refused to transfer my over to Smart at first.

That really got my blood boiling

</rant>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭digiman

@ IrishTLR
    When you signed up to ericom did you have any hassle disconnecting from them after a month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

mathie wrote:
    Couldn't access that sound file. Any chance you can post it? I'm intruiged ;)

The thing is I downloaded a sh!t load and went waaaaaaaay over the cap but if its truely a 'free' trial I shouldn't have to pay.

I think I'll say something like 'Im moving to Smart as they don't have a cap'
    or some unfounded comment to see if they actually know anything about BB.

Cheers
    M

Its working fine for me.
    When you go to the url....scroll down and click the "Free" box next to
    Select your download:.
    Another page will open and on the botton you will see
    "Download: Rung_1_too_many_times_by_BT.wma"

Click on it and save it to your harddrive.

I think someone here posted it a couple of months ago....it seemed appropriate for the hassle that Eircom are putting you through!!!
    Give them the same response as the "customer" gave BT's Rep!!!

BTW.
    What package were you on and how much did you download from them???
    If you really went to town(downloaded over 40GB) then I would take it easy with them as they could possible give you a BIG overdownload bill!!!
    When I was on their trial 6months ago(before settling on BT) I was never under their download limit...but I only exceeded by 1GB to 1.5GB on each of the 2months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

digiman wrote:
    @ IrishTLR
    When you signed up to ericom did you have any hassle disconnecting from them after a month?

Not at all. I signed up for the full three months for my new business. I was never going to stay with them, I just needed to buy some time as I needed the IBB option. I do a lot of VoIP and VPN to Boston so 128k up just isn't going to but it at all.

When I cancelled, I just rang them up and told them to disconnect me. I also told them that I was going to complain to the advertising standards body about their misleading advertisements [my previous post].

That was that, I posted the router back to them.

Advertisement