Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who do you want to pillage from relegated clubs?

• 09-05-2005 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

granted one of the 4 will escape, but who would you like your club pick up off the ex-premier clubs?

The likes of Crouch, Ashton, Johnson, Gera, Niemi, Routledge etc. will doubtless find a new club, who'd you pick?

I think Gera would be good buy for Everton. Maybe Niemi but he hasn't recovered his form of half a season ago...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

ex-premier... ship? :) Niemi maybe.

I'd be much more interested in Serie A. The teams in or around the relegation zone - Atalanta, Brescia, Chievo, Fiorentina, Siena, Parma, and Roma. Totti, Cassano, Chivu, Gilardino, Ferrari, De Rossi, Bonera, Bresciano, Mancini, Bojinov etc etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Andy Johnson has gotta be a prime target for many top premiership teams. Twenty goals and can mix it with the harder type of defender as well as having a bit of pace with which to beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

done deal to pool apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't think they should touch him. Fair enough he had a good season, would'nt have looked so good if someone else was the clubs penalty taker. Don't think he's up to top european standard, which is what Liverpool need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Johnson has scored an insane number of penalties, I think he's only got 9 or something from play. I think he'd do alright at Liverpool, strong goal poacher.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Stekelly wrote:
    Fair enough he had a good season, would'nt have looked so good if someone else was the clubs penalty taker.
    He won 95% of the penalties himself though so he would probably be winning them for whatever club he's at next season too.

When RVN was doing it he was the best striker in the premiership, could somebody explain the difference please ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

When RVN was doing it he was the best striker in the premiership, could somebody explain the difference please ?

better looking? it's to with fashion though in all seriousness. For Johnson to get that many at the club he's at is quality. He works very hard in training to improve himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

There is no difference in that sense T4TF, but Johnson isn't of that quality, and Liverpool shouldn't be, and Benetiz won't, be buying at a lower quality than winning the treble :)
    That said, Benetiz rocks, so maybe he will and make him amazing

Your not seriously comparing RVN and Andy Johnson are you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hopefully Utd oir Arse get Gera, that lad is special. Would fit in well at either of thsoe clubs.

kdjac

eirebhoy wrote:
    He won 95% of the penalties himself though so he would probably be winning them for whatever club he's at next season too.

You can't really buy a player on the basis of how many penalties you reckon he can win for you. I really don't think he's top quality and bottom half - mid table of the premiership is his position IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Stekelly wrote:
    You can't really buy a player on the basis of how many penalties you reckon he can win for you. I really don't think he's top quality and bottom half - mid table of the premiership is his position IMO.
    But what Eirebhoy is trying to prove is that while he may have scored 9 penos he was taken down for 8 of them.

It would be logical to assume that he would have bagged a few of those chances had he not been taken down, hence to say his 20 goals dont really tell the whole picture of his season because so many were penos is wrong.

He is a good striker, has much to learn, but hes still only 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I'd like to see Spurs get hold of Zoltan Gera. He is pretty special, as somebody pointed out-if any of the "higher" clubs are smart, they might show interest... Other than that, I think we were in for Routledge anyway unless i heard something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

About AJ and his and Cps stats.

This season they had 308 on target considering where he plays and how they play he has had 74 of those.

Pool had 424, Che 484, Utd 512, Arse 420 assuming he goes to a better club, he will get more chances and possibly score more goals.

BUT as many players have proved if you are the superstar at your team and move to a team of superstars, it rarely ever works out. CP mainly hoof it not their fault just not good enough to carry the ball tru midfield, he has played well with that kind of service so maybe thats how he is best played, but none of the above teams would hoof it as they more than good enough to play it.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If Johnson was at a better team you'd have to assume he'd get better service and not have to batter his way through defences alone. Better service should mean more goals from play as opposed to getting them through penalties he's won.

Cianan2 wrote:
    I'd like to see Spurs get hold of Zoltan Gera. He is pretty special, as somebody pointed out-if any of the "higher" clubs are smart, they might show interest... Other than that, I think we were in for Routledge anyway unless i heard something different.

Spurs will probably buy them all :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Johnson could just be a one season wonder though, but if he could play as well as he has done this season for Palace for any other club than he'd be a great signing. Considering Man U paid money for Alan Smith Johnson would be a bargain for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

It has been stated that Ashton, Francis and Greeno will go nowhere at all. So hands off anyone who thinks they can come and get them. Ashton signed a 4 year deal in January and having been interviewed in the EDP, he said he is miffed that clubs are thinking that he will leave because he is settling in Norfolk and loves the area. You can have him for £25million :D

Johnson doesnt play like Smith did, or in a long ball style game, he gets the ball passed into his feet, and works from it.
    While I don't think he is good enough for Liverpool if they are trying to finish in the 'top 4', i.e. a new top 3, he is definally good enough for a team like say Fulham or Middlesborough.

The players who I think are quality or potentially quality in those teams are:

Palace:
    Routledge
    Johnson

Southampton:
    Niemi
    Crouch

Norwich:

Ashton
    Helveg

West Brom:
    Gera

• Advertisement

Good point, RVN has been awful this season. Regardless of injuries he has not looked a patch on Johnson, a small percentage of the heart Johnson shows every game (even when he was out of position for England) would do wonders for RVN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Andy Johnson would do better running on to better through balls alright. He is a natural finisher and a good poacher. I dont think he is 'good' enough though for a top team. I see him being like Alan Smith at utd - someone who can score but wouldnt be anywhere near first choice once the main strikers were fit. If AJ is going to stay in the premiership (while CP dont), a mid table team beckons. Although saying that, i wouldnt be surprised to see him turn up at Everton. Routledge is on his way anyway, wont sign a new contract will he? Spurs seems a likely destination since they were trying to buy him midsummer. Is Jol a ChampMan player? Buying up all the young talent :)

Robert Green looks a quality keeper - plenty of clubs interested in him. He might stay if Norwich go down (although they would be my favourites to stay up). Ashton will stay, one of the main reasons he was bought was because they knew he could do it in Div 1 and would help them bounce back straight away if necessary.

Kanu will be off if WBA are relegated. Dont think he will be seen in the prem again though. Someone might take a punt on Earnshaw - looks a decent player. Hoult was being touted for england a few years back, so he might make a move somewhere as a 2nd keeper. Zoltan doesnt seem to have the stamina to be a top player (IMO that is) lots of flair but doesnt seem that consistent. Dont think he would be a success at a top team.

Southampton probably have the most sellable players, apart from this season they havent done too badly in the premiership before now. Niemi, Crouch, Phillips, they could all be on their way. If they keep Crouch though, he will score all around him in the championship (if he doesnt get broken in two that is!)

0,,10355~174810,00.jpg

GREEN IS GOING NOWHERE!

CITY boss Nigel Worthington has issued a "hands off" message to club's thinking of making a transfer swoop for Canaries 'keeper Robert Green.

Green has been continually linked with a move away from Carrow Road in the media this season after continuing his good form in the Premiership.

Despite the player himself insisting he is happy at the Club and signing a new contract in the close season, the rumours over Green's future have continued to surface.

But, at a special forum at the Club's open day on Sunday, Worthy was asked by a supporter what would happen to Green should the Club fail to stay in the Premiership.

"First of all, we're not going down," the City boss said - a comment which was met with loud cheering by all those present.

"Secondly, Robert Green is going nowhere. That's my stance and also the board's."

Green, 25, has made a name for himself this season as one of the brightest young keepers in the country and is now an established member of Sven Goran Eriksson's England squad.

The player himself was now looking forward to completing CIty's remarkable survival push this Sunday when the Canaries travel to Fulham knowing a win will guarantee them Premiership football next season.

"We are playing Fulham and they have got good players and will want to go out with a bang," said Green, dismissing suggestions the home side might take their foot off the pedal with nothing to play for.

"It's been a massive up-turn in form for us and we've got to complete the job now."

Green kept another clean sheet on Saturday, but had to rely on a slice of good fortune as Birmingham struck the woodwork three times.

"It's not the best we've played this season," he said.

"But we got what we needed. But we will take a clean sheet and take one on Sunday as well.

"It was one of those days when things have gone for us where they might not have done a few weeks ago."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    The players who I think are quality or potentially quality in those teams are:

Palace:
    Routledge
    Johnson

Southampton:
    Niemi
    Crouch

Norwich:

Ashton
    Helveg

West Brom:
    Gera
    I can see Aki Rihilahti and even Gabor Kiraly attracting interest from clubs. Both have performed quite well in all the games Ive seen them play for Palace.

I dont know why you think Helveg has done well. Just because he was good years ago doesnt mean he was any good this year. As far as I know he was disappointing and had trouble even breaking into the Norwich team!

As for Gera, yeah he has looked good at times, and scored a few goals, but I still need some convincing that he can do it consistently. Earnshaw I think definately has what it takes at this level and would not be surprised to see him move to one of the promoted clubs should WBA go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Slash/ED wrote:
    Johnson could just be a one season wonder though
    32 goals last season. I know its only the Championship but that is still a lot of goals. There's something about Johnson though that make people have their doubts. I'd say if it was Robert Earnshaw scoring all those goals he'd be on everyones shopping list. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There is a lot more than that from Crystal Palace..

Helveg got injured after the Man Ure game and then found it hard to displace Edworthy. But since christmas, he had a lucky break where he filled in for players in midfield and then Eddy had a bad run of form and has kept his place since. He is improving as he didn't have time to adjust to the pace of the premier league but he can do some suicidal stuff with the ball and still get away with it.

I just remember him in the Man Utd Norwich game and I was mightely impressed with him.
    I forgot about Earnshaw, I'd say he will get picked up.

I don't think there are any possible greats in the line ups tbh, Gera might be a really godo player, but he will never be world class.

I would be shocked to see any of those players go to the top 3 + Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Gera, Gera GERA

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    32 goals last season. I know its only the Championship but that is still a lot of goals. There's something about Johnson though that make people have their doubts. I'd say if it was Robert Earnshaw scoring all those goals he'd be on everyones shopping list. :)

Well in Earnshaws case he's banging them in internationally too.

I'd take a risk on him, no doubt, but there's no gaurentee he'll be as good next year so it is a risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

kensutz wrote:
    It has been stated that Ashton, Francis and Greeno will go nowhere at all. So hands off anyone who thinks they can come and get them. Ashton signed a 4 year deal in January and having been interviewed in the EDP, he said he is miffed that clubs are thinking that he will leave because he is settling in Norfolk and loves the area. You can have him for £25million :D

If any of the bigger clubs wanted Ashton they would have signed him ages ago as he was one of the most scouted strikers in England. Apparently his lack of pace is the reason they didn't sign him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Laugh if you wish but I think Zoltan Gera is good enough to play at European level

I wouldn't laugh at that, he's class.

Incidentally speaking of Earnshaw I meant to say Robbos treatment of him is disgraceful, he should be in the West Brom team from the start every week without fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The Muppet wrote:
    If any of the bigger clubs wanted Ashton they would have signed him ages ago as he was one of the most scouted strikers in England. Apparently his lack of pace is the reason they didn't sign him.

Arsenal tried signing him 1 or 2 years ago and he held out for some reason..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I said Big Clubs. ;);)

• Advertisement

He might of shown rare common sense, how often do you see young players go for the dream move to a big club and vanish without a trace.

I still wouldn't go to Arsenal/United/Chelski if i were him, he needs a club prepared to give a consistent first team place, i think most teams in the prem would.

Ashton asked Dario Gradi for his advice on who to join. He's a clever and honest professional to do that thing and not jump at the first offer he got of playing in the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

theCzar wrote:
    Maybe Niemi but he hasn't recovered his form of half a season ago...

Niemi had a shocker against the pompey, but other than that he has been amazing recently. Pity we have the worst Premiership defence at the moment, it reflects badly on him. Sensational against Bolton, and has made world-class saves against Norwich and Palace.

If we do go down I certainly wouldn't hold it against him to leave us, he belongs at the top level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Niemi
    Gera
    Johnson

Emmo

Advertisement