Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Questions, questions, questions...women we're never happy

• 09-05-2005 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Fountains of wisdom I need your....eh wisdom... :D As a newbie to the whole exam-ness and post xmas college lark this term was all new to me...

a) After having to try and remember what the hell I didn't do in september, I'm really getting annoyed at these exams, particularly the 3 hr long monsters....

I heard there is a rumour that the we're going to be semestrised next year-ie exams at xmas and summer. Is this true or is it just for lucky first years?

b) also when are the ol results out (generally speaking for all faculties-I'm in arts, but I'm sure other ppl in differnt areas are curious too)?

c) is it just another ucd lazy job and they're only posted on the net or are they sent out?

d) can you view your papers-ie like the ol l.c.?

e) repeat exams also held in rds?

f) chances of having a decent SU next year are.........?

g) How does compensation work? e.g. if i get (by some miracle) a first in one subject, a 2.2 in another and like 30 in my 3rd-can i use the marks from my highest subject to drag me into the next year...? Or is it a case of repeating...?

Grazie tutti!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

b) It's different for every department, and every year. 2nd year Arts is the 22nd of June, that's all I know.

c) Yeah, Ucd send em out, but they're really slow, so your better off just lookin em up on the net on the date in question.

d) No. :D

e) No. Arts repeats are in Carysfort Avenue, Blackrock, (or at least they usually are).

f) As a man reknowned for his betting, I give it odds of 25/1 against there being an even-slightly-competent SU next yr...

That's all I know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I think pass by compensation can only bring you to from a 35% minimum.

Someone told me that we have to right to view our papers, maybe that's only in higher years, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Everyone in our faculty can view their scripts anyway, I dont see why you guys wouldnt be able to :confused: Oh and compensation for us means that you can get as low as 30% if you can make up twice the difference on another exam. Don't know how many departments have this though - didn't think arts had it at all! Repeat exams are generally on in Carysfort, they wouldn't be bothered renting out the RDS again like, cos there's fewer ppl and most are only doing 1 or 2 exams, so they don't need to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

You can't compensate in Arts...it's all or nothing :(

As far as I know, 2nd Arts results are due out 22nd June, but last year they came out a few days earlier than we'd been told.

First I knew was when someone rang me while I was at work to tell me they were out on the net, I had to give them my password and get them to go into SIS and check it for me...HORRIBLE moment waiting for him to tell me what I'd got...but thankfully I passed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Alana wrote:
    Fountains of wisdom I need your....eh wisdom... :D As a newbie to the whole exam-ness and post xmas college lark this term was all new to me...

a) After having to try and remember what the hell I didn't do in september, I'm really getting annoyed at these exams, particularly the 3 hr long monsters....

I heard there is a rumour that the we're going to be semestrised next year-ie exams at xmas and summer. Is this true or is it just for lucky first years?

b) also when are the ol results out (generally speaking for all faculties-I'm in arts, but I'm sure other ppl in differnt areas are curious too)?

c) is it just another ucd lazy job and they're only posted on the net or are they sent out?

d) can you view your papers-ie like the ol l.c.?

e) repeat exams also held in rds?

g) How does compensation work? e.g. if i get (by some miracle) a first in one subject, a 2.2 in another and like 30 in my 3rd-can i use the marks from my highest subject to drag me into the next year...? Or is it a case of repeating...?

Grazie tutti!

A) not 100% sure but have to say i would love it!

B & C) the results were out on the net last year on Junne 11th (my 21st! :eek: ) and then they were sent out in the post about a week and a half after.

D) Think so

E) Blackrock as far as i know.

F) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! .......no.

G) no idea about compensation.

not much more help i know. now, on to the Vikings! RAAAWWWWRRR

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Alana wrote:

hmm. interesting, under Jimmy Carroll i`d say the chances are slim. What would be your ideal of a good SU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

not jimmy carrol

hahaha

no, just something that listens to students and gets its facts straight before having pt-less demonstrations...

Thanks lads...better go learn all about "hermetic poets"...yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

i personally have found the union to be very helpful, everytime ive gone down and spoke to fergal hes always done his best to help me out. From my experience I find that a lot of people who criticise the union (and im not saying that this applies to you) simply dont try and change things within the union or bring things to the unions attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Jimmy Carroll - HACK! :mad:

I personally feel the union are totally out of touch with your average day to day student. The lack of transparency between the union and the students was seen at the elections... f**k all voted. Most students don't give a flying f**k about the union because alot of them are completely elitest. Very few students can relate to them. I have found the officers very helpful and approachable which is good for a start but when students see a KBC careerist like James Carroll get the top post its only going to alienate even more students from their union. The union must get in touch with their students. If this be by having talks in the Arts block or by putting a rocket launcher up some of the class reps asses in order organise anything then the union must do it for its future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

I was told that for information studies, it was possible to pass by compensation.

Computers it is not (2 papers, 1 christmas, 1 summer).

Psychology I don't know.

• Advertisement

kasintahan wrote:
    I was told that for information studies, it was possible to pass by compensation.

Psychology I don't know.

I'm still not sure what exactly compensation is. If anyone knows please elaborate for us. Is compensation good or bad????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

As far as I've gathered from other posts, it's a good thing!

Basically if you fail one exam, but do really well in another they'll pass you. I dont think it applies to us arts people. We have to pass everything, god damnit.

beanyb wrote:
    As far as I've gathered from other posts, it's a good thing!

Basically if you fail one exam, but do really well in another they'll pass you. I dont think it applies to us arts people. We have to pass everything, god damnit.

Sorry if I'm sounding stupid here. For example if I fail Sociology and do really well in Geography could they pass me into next year????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Yes exactly! But I dont think they do it in arts, so no really.... But that's the idea!

Gaaaawwwwd I was getting so excited there for a minute.

Just one more typical innocent stupid 1st year question. Ok I should pass Geography and Info Studies and I want to do them next year. Will fail Sociology. Just say if I still failed Sociology in August would they give me any kind of dispensation to go into 2nd year to do Geog and Info????

Sorry if I'm sounding stupid here. For example if I fail Sociology and do really well in Geography could they pass me into next year????

No, but if you fail one exam within sociology and do well in the other sociology exams then it might be possible (depends on subject).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Gaijin

kasintahan wrote:

Psychology I don't know.

I dunno about compensation but trust me you are not going to fail information studies...

Seriously, there's like a 2% failure rate if any!

Gaijin wrote:
    I dunno about compensation but trust me you are not going to fail information studies...

Yeah, so I heard, though some people said 20% but given that about 10 people out of 70/80 (AFAIK) in the year ever went to class I'm surprised it was that low.

kasintahan wrote:
    No, but if you fail one exam within sociology and do well in the other sociology exams then it might be possible (depends on subject).

Ah I failed both papers miserably by answering f**k all questions. Just me clinging to a straw.
    Gaijin wrote:

Such a piss easy subject. In the exam the other day I wouldn't have needed to have gone to any lectures all year and I still would have passed it!

Yeah, but those people not going to lectures are probably are cramming the readings, you'd be surprised.They say they are doing nothing but they are!

Yeah it's a piss easy subject, do your assignments, readings and go to lectures and you have yourself a 2.1 or 1st. It's passable having done no work buts its very handy to get a high mark in and boost your overall mark! :)

Albeit some are hard to stick..a certain lecturer with 3 initials!!

• Advertisement

Gaijin wrote:
    Yeah, but those people not going to lectures are probably are cramming the readings, you'd be surprised.They say they are doing nothing but they are!

Yeah it's a piss easy subject, do your assignments, readings and go to lectures and you have yourself a 2.1 or 1st. It's passable having done no work buts its very handy to get a high mark in and boost your overall mark! :)

Albeit some are hard to stick..a certain lecturer with 3 initials!!

Ha ha ha haaa a certain lecturer called Dr. BTB haha! :D

What clever clogs came up with the great idea to switch her lecture to the morining for the 2nd semester. No one went to her lectures anyway and moving it to Thursday 9:00 made her lectures ridiculous. I remember for one of her lectures there were so few people there I counted 21 people there out of around 160 doing Info Studies! :D

What a dull subject but soooo easy. I'll probably be the only person doing that subject next year! :)

There will still be a fair few...this year there was about 60(in second year) but only about 20-30 regulars if you will.(alot more showing up towards the end!) I met people this year had never seen before! Its kinda nice having a small class, you get to know people better and the lecturers get to know faces, its a lot more personal
    (theres no btb in second year so dont worry) :eek:

Also it gets alot more interesting aswell, i know its not the most intellectually stimulating course out there but there are some fairly interesting parts to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭chebe

I'm glad my hard earned knowledge comes in useful...

Compensation
    Means that if you fail one subject (getting a minimum of 35%, less than that and it's an out and out fail) but can make up the extra 5% in another subject you will be allowed pass. You can only pass by compensation in one subject.

Well that's the case with Science anyway, all that info should be in your faculty booklet, the thing they gave at the start of the year, or thanks to the information age: http://www.ucd.ie/registrar/booklets.htm

Semesterisation
    Is supposed to be campus-wide by September. Half my courses this year are already semeserised. I think it's a great idea.

Advertisement