Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying my first car (2nd hand)

Options
  • 09-05-2005 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭

So my job has forced me to get myself a motor.
    I'll have up to €6000 to spend and I'm after at least a 1.2l small/medium size car. (No Micras/Yaris/Corsas though). Not bothered on colour or trim levels, I just need something reliable, not thirsty, minimum of hassle, and something that isn't averse to a reasonable amount of motorway driving and trips across the country.

I've been looking online at Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Fiat Puntos and similar cars to these. So far Punto's seem to be the best price wise, I found a 2001 Punto 30k 1.2 for €5k, when I look at similarly priced Civic and Corollas I'd be aiming for 1999 or older with more milage. Anyone know why this might be? A mate said that Puntos can have dodgy clutches and electrical problems, and that cards like the Corolla and Civic are generally problem free and that age and milage are rarely a problem, they can go and go.

Anyone got any advice/thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I'd stay well away from a punto if I were you I have heard so many horror stories about them & many of those have been new models one less than a year old.

Anyway here's my 2 pence, 00 Renault Clio Sport 1.2l in CBG this week €6000 if you can stretch you budget theres a 01 new modelClio Sport 1.2l for €7400

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The reason Civics/Corollas are more expensive than Puntos is because they are bigger than the Punto plus the Punto has been known to have reliability and build quality issues. Also the Punto is the same size as the Yaris/Micra/Corsa, etc.

My cousin has a 2002 Punto and has had nothing but hassel with it since new. Problems with the power steering and brakes. She is trying to sell it at the moment but is finding it hard going and some garages don't want to take it as a trade-in. Having been in the car I can see why. The drive is horrible and the fit & finish of the cabin is like as if it was put together with sticky tape and glue. They are cheap for a reason.

If you want a car that gives you no trouble or grief then go for a Corolla. On a budget of €6k you are looking at a late 90s model. If you can stretch a bit more then definately consider the Civic.

As cheaper alternatives look at the Nissan Almera or Opel Astra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭A$$A$$IN

What about your insurance/licence situation?? This could really limit what you can purchase. VVT-I corolla would be a good option :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

I recently had the same budget and went for a Peugeot 206 1.6XS :) It was a '99 with 38K on the clock for 5,8K. Its a great car (an English import though so probably tough to find another), central locking, electric windows and all that.
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Thanks for the replys so far.
    Insurance shouldn't be a *huge* problem. I'm 25, full license since I was 18, but admittedly I haven't been insured and driving for more than 2 of those 7 years.
    I'm not really too bothered about performance as long as the car is comfortable to drive on trips across Ireland.

So I'll be avoiding Puntos! Corollas, Civics, Almeras, Astras, maybe a 206 seem to be the options.

Does anyone have experience of Japanese imports of Honda's and Toyotas? A friends imports them and any feedback I've got seems to be pretty positive in terms of car condition and prices when compared to the Irish market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

best car of all for the dosh is the saloon corolla late 97 on, the new model. i took a very sharp bend in it at 80 mph by 'accident' at night because i didnt see it and apart from a lot of squeling from the tyres it stuck to the road like glue.
    avoid the earlier model with shopping trolley handeling.

very reliable, nice to drive, rev happy because the pistons and conrods are lightweight. we have a december 97 one with 75k miles on the clock and it is as tight as the day it was bought nearly 8 years ago. feels like a brand new car also, with the exception of the worn stearing wheel(the corollas have soft wheels that wear quickly) iactually prefer driving it to my 1.4 golf that i bought new 2 years ago.

you can buy one for 3.5k.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

A citroen xsara would be a good choice imho. I had a '00 van which was good spec (abs/electrics/ac) and quiet comfortable. You should be able to pick up a '00 5 door for about 6k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Personally, I'd go for a 99 Peugeot 306 Meridien. I used to have a 306 and it was a lovely car to drive. The Meridien comes with E/W, R/C/L, front fogs and 1/2 leather. They're also a fine looking car.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=136146

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=184061

For me though, this is the pick of the bunch; http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=211808 The saloon is worth less than the hatch due to it's ungainly boot. But I found the saloon had a slightly nicer ride and this model is a 1.6 (the others are 1.4) with only 40,000mls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

If moneys an issue instead of a Punto consider a Skoda Fabia, not as bad as it may sound. Despite their past reputation Skoda now build solid cars, being owned by VW now is probably the reason for this, any way here's a review...
    Skoda Fabia Review
    I found a 01 Skoda Fabia Comfortline(The one with all the extras) for €5700, worth considering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

The 306 saloon is a desperate looking yoke. The hatchbk is class though,, especially i nthat gold blaze colour and in 3dr form.

Either that or the civic is what i`d go for.

Fookin Puntos :rolleyes: There all ****e. The money you`d spend on repairs would have bought you the civic/306 in the 1`st place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Thanks eljono, I hadn't even considered a Peugeot, must go trawling through carzone and autotrader and the papers now :(
    eljono wrote:
    Personally, I'd go for a 99 Peugeot 306 Meridien. I used to have a 306 and it was a lovely car to drive. The Meridien comes with E/W, R/C/L, front fogs and 1/2 leather. They're also a fine looking car.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=136146

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=184061

For me though, this is the pick of the bunch; http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=211808 The saloon is worth less than the hatch due to it's ungainly boot. But I found the saloon had a slightly nicer ride and this model is a 1.6 (the others are 1.4) with only 40,000mls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

avoid peugeot, total crap, i had one and never again. the french cant make cars, comfortable YES , reliable NO, good petrol engine technology NO, stick with japanese metal, u wont regret it for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I had a 00 306 meridian. Great car it was, and i am sorry i sold it.
    Have a megane now, like it, but not a patch on the 306.

P.S. I only ever had one problem with the Pug, the gear knob paint peeled, and my garage replaced it F.O.C, even though the car was over 3 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

keep well away from puntos....

i'd go with a focus, civic, corolla, almera.

lomb wrote:
    avoid peugeot, total crap, i had one and never again. the french cant make cars, comfortable YES , reliable NO, good petrol engine technology NO, stick with japanese metal, u wont regret it for a second.
    Sorry Lomb, but that's a pile of sh!te. Ok, so you had one and it went bad. Same can be said for any model from any manufacturer.
    My 306 was 10 years old when I sold it and it was sweet as a nut. I used to be in the trade and I know a lot of people who highly rate them. They are considered to be the best car Peugeot made. They were certainly the best selling car for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

eljono wrote:
    They were certainly the best selling car for them.

Although I do agree that the 306 was a really good car, I think the 206 is the best selling peugeot ever.

@prospect; You're probably right, 306 production came close to 2.5million. The 206 has probably topped that now.

Advertisement