Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs. Chelsea(scores when they happen)

• 09-05-2005 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Righteo, beginning of next season starting here :)
    Chance for United to let Chelsea know what they are up against next season, with the majority of their big players nicely rested for this game.
    It's looking like a nearly full strength team to start.
    I think now that Fergie has full choice availible in attack,
    including
    Van Nist
    Rooney
    Ronaldo
    Giggs

Which one of those can he not start? None of them!

I think its gona be a 4-4-2, I really do.
    I reallly really think that he could just tootally swap to a 4-4-2, that'd be great :)
    If so, we'll have a

Caroll
    ----
    Neville-Rio-Slyvestre/Brown(not sure)-O'Shea
    ----
    Ronaldo-Scholes-Keano-Giggs
    Rooney-Van Nist

If not we'll get a

Caroll
    ----
    Neville-Rio-Slyvestre/Brown(not sure)-O'Shea
    ----
    Fletcher-Scholes-Keano
    ----
    Rooney-Giggs
    Van Nist
    with Ronaldo on the bench ready to come back.

He might even tinker with that, put Rooney in a scholesy type position, push scholes a bit back, and let Ronaldo Giggs and Van Nist wreck havoc up front.

----

Duff back for definate right?
    Thank god Neville is back, I think he can contain him.
    Think we will have trouble of the left side without Heinze, but hopefully O'Shea will give em a decent bashing to push em off.

Keano to put on a show and contain Lampard, that'd be fun :)
    Van Nist is gona be vital in this game, the only player who I think has the best chance to score against Chelsea's defense, although he still ain't back to full fitness unfortunately. Also I figure he'll annoy the **** out of Terry, people forget Van Nist is a professional annoyer too :)

Also all United players will be fighting for the FA Cup final place.

----

As for Chelsea.
    Mourinho pissed off after Liverpool?
    Barely won last week with a mistaken peno.
    I think Chelsea are in a bit of a hangover, already won the league, nothing left to player for, and I think if Mourinho is really vendictive, might put out the ****test team possible, just to rub it in.
    At the same time, I'm sure the players really want to go out there and beat United.
    Lampard chasing that record by James
    Terry still playing through injury?

This wil be a fun game, obviously I think United will win :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

I hope United Give Chelsea a good hiding - bring Mourinho down a peg or 2. Keane will go hard and fair at Lampard and frighten the you know what out of him.
    Settle for a 3-0 - possible if all the big game players perform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    Duff back for definate right?
    Duff won't play for Chelsea again this season afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Duff is listed in the squad for tonight afaik:

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Makelele, Terry, Johnson, Gallas, Carvalho, Robben, Gudjohnsen, Drogba, Smertin, Tiago, Lampard, Cole, Forssell, Kezman, Jarosik, Geremi, Huth and Duff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

TheMonster wrote:
    Settle for a 3-0 - possible if all the big game players perform.

Highly unlikely. Bayern Munich are the only team to have scored more than 2 goals against Chelsea this season (& Milan in pre-season). What makes you think a team who got a 1-1 draw at home last Saturday against West Brom can score three against Chelsea's defence? On top of that, United (when they were playing consistantly well) have lost twice out of three times to Chelsea already this season. Now I know that might mean nothing (after Liverpool beat them last week) but 3-0 is a bit optimistic don't you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Shred wrote:
    Highly unlikely. Bayern Munich are the only team to have scored more than 2 goals against Chelsea this season (& Milan in pre-season). What makes you think a team who got a 1-1 draw at home last Saturday against West Brom can score three against Chelsea's defence? On top of that, United (when they were playing consistantly well) have lost twice out of three times to Chelsea already this season. Now I know that might mean nothing (after Liverpool beat them last week) but 3-0 is a bit optimistic don't you think?

if all the Utd players perform it is possible - this will be a totally different team and attitude to Saturday(this is the cup final rehearsal and I fully expect the team picked tonight to start against Arsenal). Utd haven't played well against Chelsea this season and Fergie knows it.

Watch this space!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I love that Fergie is making the players give Chelsea a guard of honour onto the pitch. That'd really piss me off if I was a utd player. Good way of motivating them for the game and for the preseason more so IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I was hoping Jose would put out a reserve team for a laugh, Chelsea couldn't care less about this game and should use the opportunity to have a nice rest and pass the ball about.

the only way utd will score 3 is if Huth is in goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmcquaid

i think man u will be really up for this game as every player especially the forwards are playing for the place in the fa cup final and id be surprised if they dont manage to beat them altough 3-0 is a bit optimistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

growler wrote:
    Chelsea couldn't care less about this game....

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

SteM wrote:
    I wouldn't be so sure about that.
    Yes I think Jose would have a break down if they lost this game. Im sure he doesnt want to lose it (why would you want to lose any game?) but Im sure he wont be too upset.

Chelsea have nothing to lose here, and not too much to gain. So Ill go for a 1-1 draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

I wouldn't read too much into this game at all, Chelsea have won the title and are out of the CL so have done their work for the season. Also Mourhino will paly some of the fringe players, I believe Huth needs two games to get his prem medal so will play, Fergie on the other hand has the FA cup in mind and will be resting some players no doubt, remember Denis Irwin missing the final in 99 'cause of a stupid yellow card near the end of the season. Also Rudd Van will be palying to get some match practice before the final and is not in great form anyway. So I wouldn't be surprised if it was a 0-0 draw.

Keano_sli wrote:
    Also Mourhino will paly some of the fringe players
    When you look at the provisional squad irish1 posted up, the fringe players are all decent anyway. I'd say it'll be something like:

Cudicini

Gallas (only player that can really play left back)
    Carvalho/Terry
    Huth
    Geremi/Johnson

Jarosik/Smertin
    Tiago
    Lampard (wants to build an unbreakable record)
    Cole
    Gudjohnson/Kezman

Drogba

I'd like to see Forsell start.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hard to know, Moanhino does not like to lose, especially to Sir Alex, but as said they have PL won, out of CL so do they give a toss?

IF they care then I think it will be 1-1 , if they don't then maybe 2-0 United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Even if Mourinho wants to play a frigne team, the players don't.
    The Chelsea players will want to beat Man Utd to hammer home just how good they were this season, it'd be like a fun kicking them while they are down.

Robben is expected to start by most websites, so I figure they'll line up something like this.

Cudicini

Gallas
    Terry
    Huth
    Geremi

Makelele
    Tiago
    Lampard
    Robben
    Cole

Drogba

There is no way whatsover that Makelele won't be playing, ar eyou nuts? Key to the entire formation!

I think its gona be a strong Chelsea out there.

Is does have an effect on next season, whether it only mental.
    If United win, it highlights to themselves that they have the ability to beat Chelsea, and belief is what it is all about.
    If United lose, it will just put more and more doubt into their minds that they are able to beat Chelsea.
    Chelsea have lost 2 times this year, and havn't had to deal with a 'bad patch' yet. Losing a third time will once again demoralise them. If you saw them last week, they weren't looking the best after losing to Liverpool. United want to do that again.

Yes I think Jose would have a break down if they lost this game.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that.
    Im sure he doesnt want to lose it (why would you want to lose any game?)

Of course. There's a difference between what you've said and what growler said which was 'Chelsea couldn't care less about this game'.

I find it very hard to believe that Mourinho would feel that way about any game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

PHB wrote:
    Chelsea have lost 2 times this year, and havn't had to deal with a 'bad patch' yet. Losing a third time will once again demoralise them. .

ah yes , that would be the old "lose 3 times in a season, after winning the league and carling cup and with one more game to go anyway, bad patch"

how the hell could they be demoralised after winning the league and looking forward to a nice long summer holiday as champions ?

Stem , ok I'm sure Jose wouldn't like to lose and I'm sure the players as pro's wouldn't like to lose either, but I doubt that they are going to lose any sleep over it.

PHB wrote:
    If you saw them last week, they weren't looking the best after losing to Liverpool. United want to do that again.
    United would have to be playing them in a Champions League semi final first for it to have the same effect.

Somehow I dont think they will look as downhearted as they did last week should the lose tonight. Its just my gut instinct!

Its about letting them get the idea of a loss in their mind.
    Chelsea players havn't really had to deal with losing this year except against Man City once and Liverpool.
    I doubt they will look as downhearted as last week, but I still want to beat them to demoralise them a little bit more, even if it sonly a tiny bit.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Its about letting them get the idea of a loss in their mind.
    Chelsea players havn't really had to deal with losing this year except against Man City once and Liverpool.
    I doubt they will look as downhearted as last week, but I still want to beat them to demoralise them a little bit more, even if it sonly a tiny bit.

How will it demoralise them at all?

They've won 2 trophies this season, been the best team in the country, have one match left after this and most of them know they'll be coming back next season to a strengthened squad whether the club makes a loss or a profit.

I can understand how being knocked out of the CL by Liverpool of all teams would feel like a kick in the nuts, but loosing your second last match of the season to the team who came in third would not be demoralising at all (if it happens).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

I think people just want to read too much into every game these days, don't belive whatever hype Sky are spouting to get people to watch the game (as a united fan I will watch anyway) but I'm not about to jump up and down expecting the greatest game of our times, I really think both teams have other things on their minds at the moment and Ok that might actually work to turn it into a great game, but neither manager has been cossetted away since the weekend plotting the downfall of his rival, it just hasn't happened face it.

Terry is out. It'll be interesting to see how their defense holds without Terry there

I'm not saying this is going to send them into a depression or something, but it will give them something to think about. But more importantly, it will give United the confidence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

PHB u think this is actually a big game.....well its not the league is over and the top five places have been settled if its 10-0 to either side its STILL doesnt matter..

Expect a even match end to end or else it will be a boring nil all draw

Either way IT DOESNT MATTER!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

This game is ****ing pointless.

Man Utd
    R Carroll, G Neville, W Brown, R Ferdinand, M Silvestre, D Fletcher, R Keane, P Scholes, C Ronaldo, W Rooney, R van Nistelrooy
    Subs: T Howard, L Saha, A Smith, J O'Shea, Q Fortune

Chelsea

C Cudicini, G Johnson, A Ricardo Carvalho, R Huth, W Gallas, N Geremi, C Tiago, C Makelele, F Lampard, J Cole, E Gudjohnsen
    Subs: P Cech, M Forssell, J Jarosik, M Nuno Morais, A Grant

Very strong Chelsea bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

1 - 1 so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

What a f*cking goal by Tiago!

I mean that was a pure cracker and all the commentators had to say was - wow that came out of nowhere - yeah I'm as surprised as Ray Carroll - and then go on about how Carroll reacted .... I mean WHAT ABOUT THE GOAL!!!

If Ronaldinho had scored it it would have been raved about.

Just cause the guy doesn't score often - he rarely is in position to - but I seem to recall his first goal for Chelsea was a cracker as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

1-2 Gudjohnsson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

My Winamp stream broke up just as Chelsea scored! :(

Just watching the replay now though. Pretty direct... sweet finish.

3-1 Chelsea. Suspicion of offside, but it might have been classed as a sidewards pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

why is Ronney on the wing for fu'ke sake :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

why is Ronney on the wing for fu'ke sake :mad:

cos they playing 4 up front.

Jebus chelsea taking the piss for most of that half.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

KdjaC wrote:
    cos they playing 4 up front.

Jebus chelsea taking the piss for most of that half.

kdjac
    i ment at the start of the match not now .I want to see Ronney just behind VNR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Thats ****ing disgraceful by Utd fans.

Jesus last home game of season players walk around to all fans, whether as champions relegated or mid table medicority, never seen anything like those fans walking out like that.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Pretty typical Van Nistelrooy goal. He was probably all of 2 yards out. Good build up though.

Chelsea's first 2 were fantastic. I think the keeper's reaction said it all for Tiago's - WTF???

What a ****ing goal by Tiago.

I think Mourinho's reaction was the reaction of all the people accross the world, utter shock, then amazment, then well ****ing done, then wtf Caroll!

Very disappointing display from United and Chelsea imo, I think on the entire pitch Gudjohnson Carvalho Tiago and Van Nist played above average, the rest were ****e.

Hopefully this will hammer home why 4-3-3 just does not suit United.

Did anyone else watch this game and get the feeling it was a European football match, not an English one?
    The way the teams set up, both 4-3-3, just letting the other come on.
    There were like 6 incidents of note in the game, 4 of them resulting in goals, typical Italian football.
    QUite poor game in the end, kinda disappointed.

United fans were a joke, utter joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fergies gotta go! Er actually no, he's got to stay (UEFA Cup next season!)

:D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

A cracker by Tiago, i was speechless! Honestly, it just came from nothing! No crowd reaction to it, or anything. Im only noticing now how good of a player Tiago is(no, not just cause he scored a cracker) he plays a simple game, but does it to great effect. I never liked him, but he is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

KdjaC wrote:
    Thats ****ing disgraceful by Utd fans.

Jesus last home game of season players walk around to all fans, whether as champions relegated or mid table medicority, never seen anything like those fans walking out like that.

agreed, last match of the season at OT, 3rd spot and in the CL is hardly disastrous (although some people will try and force me to believe it is). plus you'd think the fans would want to give a good send-off for the fa cup final.

sure manutd dont like losing but i dont think the players need reminding of what the fans demand. sky having a pop at the utd fans for booing chelsea at the start, what do you expect! if utd had won the title and walked out in stamford bridge i doubt the chelsea supporters would give them a warm welcome. they're rivals :rolleyes:

the one thing that stood out in my mind in this match was gudjohnsson 1 on 1 with carroll for the 2nd goal. i just knew he was going to score. with the great dane in goals, he'd always rescue something like that and make himself into that famous north star as i call it- make himself as big as possible and stretch every limb in his body to the max.

defence was woeful tonight though - ferdinand and brown and silvestre all sloppy, all over the place. again fletcher tonight apart from hitting the bar proved what a big waste of space he is. ran all over the place aimlessly leaving keane by himself usually against 2 chelsea players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

First half was quite dull except for Tiago's goal, an absolute stunner. Second half was Chelsea's and they played some good stuff at times. United just didn't look in it at all, they didn't seem to be arsed.

PHB wrote:
    Did anyone else watch this game and get the feeling it was a European football match, not an English one?
    The way the teams set up, both 4-3-3, just letting the other come on.
    There were like 6 incidents of note in the game, 4 of them resulting in goals, typical Italian football.
    QUite poor game in the end, kinda disappointed.
    I thought Chelseas approach play was stunning at times. Intricate one touch passing and moving. And bear in mind they are probably a little rusty after the celebrations at the weekend, and that there were a lot of squad players playing.

Their first two goals were pure class. I dont think Carroll can be faulted for the first one, he was a bit unsighted, and the split second he was unsighted for was enough. No keeper in the world is going to say a shot hit with that power and accuracy. It was a few inches short of the perfect shot, off the crossbar/post angle.

Ronaldo was pretty poor I thought again. I dont understand how so many United fans rate him so highly. Nice touches and very direct, yes. But how many crosses did he put into the box? 4? 5? It wasnt until 70mins that he put one in with a bit of air, and even that was too high, coming out on the other side. All the others were woeful and hit the first Chelsea defender. His shooting also leaves much to be desired. With RvN back in you would have expected him to be whipping balls in, but it just wasnt the case.

Chelseas reserves really put on a show at times, and for all Fergusons talk they are not very "equal". It was blatantly obvious tonight. Chelsea have been a class apart this year. 20 points ahead of United proves that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I dont understand how so many United fans rate him so highly
    He is useless.
    He will never be any good,as he is like the scarecrow in the Wizard of Oz ,he needs a brain.
    They should sell him this summer before everyone realises he is crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

as a manchester united fan the end of this season and has just been an embarrassment. and tonight topped it all off.

im very dissappointed with the fans for first of all booing chelsea as they came on, as jealous as i am, its the gentleman like thing to do and congratulate the champions. god knows enough teams have done it to us.

for the fans to walk off like that at the end was again dissappointing. i know they are upset over the season but if the players have the decency to walk the pitch in the mood they must be in surely the fans could wait for it.

on the pitch im not sure what to make of it all. part of me thinks its just the end of season blues (excuse the pun) but a big part of me thinks that this could be the beginning of the end. is it possible that united could finally be gone beyond repair and now must wait their turn to dominate again? i hope not.

the 4-5-1 proved awful tonight. when we got forward our wingers had pushed inside so we were too narrow, when we were defending our wingers were nowhere to be seen. gallas galloped forward with every attack and nobody tracked him. its really beginning to bug me that fergie persists in this formation.

as (youngish) united fan this is probably the lowest i have ever felt about the team. in the past ive been angry, take howard dropping the ball against porto, scholes disallowed goal in the same game, roy keane scoring the own goal against madrid, barthez gifting the goals to henry, but this is the first time ive ever been depressed about the united team.

heres to a summer of astute signings and hard work. sorry to be so miserable btw.

jumpa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Is there anywhere I can go to see highlights of this game for free online? I want to check out that Tiago goal :p

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Sigh. A disappointing end to a disappointing season. The FA Cup is the last chance for a scrap of glory now. At least two of the (very few) times United really performed this season was against Arsenal, just hope they can raise their game to that level again in the final. Oh and I think its beyond question now that the new formations simply are not working. 4-4-2 Alex. 4-4-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I believe the defeat Man Utd suffered against Real Madrid;6-5 in the Champions league in 2003 was the beginning of the end for this Man Utd team.
    They were given a football lesson over those two legs and Ferguson decided to change to the 4-5-1 formation which has been the utter ruination of the team.
    He continually persists with it even at home against bottom of the table teams.
    Its folly that has ruined the teams natural rhythm and it will be almost impossible to change under the present manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Does anyone have a link to Tiagos goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

As an Arsenal fan, the temptation is there to really rub it in but I think its been blatantly obvious that Ferguson, for the first time, appears to have "Lost the dressing room". I fully expected United to come out last night and smash an under-strength and relaxed Chelski team but the fact that Ferguson couldn't get them fired up for it looks very dodgy for united.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

3-1 eh?

pld Chelsea :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement