Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs. Chelsea(scores when they happen)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

ok I was wrong I totally underestimated the importance of this game, it's now obvious that united's pride is already severly damaged going into the FA Cup final and a UEFA Cup place would be a reasonable aspiration for next season.
    .. only kidding PHB, but it was united fans playing up the importance of this one.

If the Chelsea B team can still manage to demolish the reds at 3 Point Trafford then the power in English football has most definately shifted.

Super goal by Tiago, lovely finish from Eidur with a nice assist from Rio too.

that was icing on the chelsea cake, top points tally for a season and newcastle still left to play, shame those pesky scousers spoilt the european party!

oh, and is there something seriously wrong with that Ronaldo fella, his legs seem to spasm from time to time, looks very strange, he should have that looked at lest it become permanent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Oh and Rio Ferdinand....United should get rid of him this summer for the 15-20m thats being mentioned. Bring in a decent centre-back and use the rest of the money to help the rebuilding process.
    The english press are in love with the guy simply because he looks comfortable on the ball....wtf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

:)

I don't know about it being a B team, only missing a left winger + Terry and its their best team imo, I rate Gudjohnson incredibly highly
    p.s. That tackle on Van Nist by Carvalho shows why he is the best CB in the entire world

I think this will have a severe dent on their FA Cup game now, and on what they think they can do for next season.
    Another goal keeping error is actually quite good I think, it just hammers how much we need a new goalie.
    I really do pray that fergie sees that we need a diff something. If he really wants to play a 4-3-3 fine, but sell Smith and Saha since we can't use them at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭cmcquaid

according to sky sports lyon turned down a bid for michael essien from chelsea although its been suggested theyll come back with an improved offer. imagine him in that chelsea team no one would have a chance the fa should do something about the farce that is chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am getting really concerned. Last summer when I was in Florida and found an English paper lying around in Universal Studios that said on the backpage that Rooney has just joined Utd made me so happy!!!! I finally though "ok now we can challenge, we have rio back, a great defence, good midfield and an excellent strikeforce..."

God damn!!!!! We need a GK, a left winger and we need a new player for the middle who can tackle hard and pass well.

To be honest, I can see us losing the fa cup final and draw the remainder of our league games. ****ing disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

What? Tell them to stop ruining the Man U - Arsenal party?

"It's not fair FA, we were here first .... "

Back into your box.

Anyway, we had a self acclaimed attacking winger at right back, a central defender who hates playing anywhere else at left back, a talented enough but still very young central defender, a fafiled right back as right wing, a left wing who has forgotten how to play his first position and played the whole game in the centre and a striker who hasn't played as primary striker since the season began.

We were missing 3/4 of our defence, and 1/2 our midfield and everyone was playing in makeshift positions.

That was as weak a side as Chelsea have put out this season. They all performed. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Fergusons Post-Match Comments:
    "Once Chelsea's second goal went in they were worthy winners," he said.

"I didn't expect us to get second place after a disappointing result against West Brom on Saturday.

"But tonight was about trying to keep our confidence up and on the whole it was good. That is the one thing I can take out of the game."

Ferguson was impressed by the way both teams performed and felt it was an entertaining game.

"The tempo was fantastic and anyone watching as a neutral would be thrilled by the football played," he added.

"I thought we played some good football , the match was very competitive and it was really a game for professionals."

To the people who saw the game, what are your views on these comments???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

cheesedude wrote:

Don't see how losing a match can do your confidence any good. Apart from that I would agree with his comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Oh and Rio Ferdinand....United should get rid of him this summer for the 15-20m thats being mentioned. Bring in a decent centre-back and use the rest of the money to help the rebuilding process.
    The english press are in love with the guy simply because he looks comfortable on the ball....wtf
    Well said.My thoughts exactly and the thoughts of alot of people.
    The tempo was fantastic and anyone watching as a neutral would be thrilled by the football played," he added.
    Was he watching the same match I was ?
    Fantastic Tempo my hole.
    The sad thing and most worrying thing is that Ferguson doesnt seem to realise how poor the team has become.
    I think Roy Keane should retire at the end of this season as he is too slow for top flight football.
    He needs to be replaced.
    He has been a gr8 servant to the club but we need a new general.
    It might also be better for the club long term if Utd lose the FA cup final as only then Ferguson may realise how many players are not up to the standard and need to be sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    I don't know about it being a B team, only missing a left winger + Terry and its their best team imo
    And

Cech

and

Ferreira

and

Terry

and

Duff

and

Robben

and

Drogba

and (arguably)

Bridge.

Nah, youre right, it was pretty much their first choice XI.

Thats what I was just thinking, the sad thign is that he thought it was entertaining!
    Thats why he doesnt want to swap, because he doesnt see it like we saw it

Jivin, can you tell me something that Keano did wrong last night?
    I'm not saying he shouldn't be replaced, but nobody is jumping on Scholesy, who I thought was terrible!
    Fletcher got taken off which imo was absolute bull****, he was the best midfielder on the pitch, very annoyed that he got taken off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

cheesedude wrote:

I wouldn't agree with those comments at all and I would seriously be worried if I were a united fan (not trying to kick them while they're down or anything). I thought united looked clueless as to how to deal with Chelsea at times and they were quite ineffective/impotent going forward. The first half wasn' great at all and in fact, as a neutral, it was quite boring. I think besides the two goals there were no other shots on goal :eek: The second half was a lot better but was mostly Chelsea's IMO.

You'd have to wonder what's going to happen at United now - the players they've brought in don't seem to cut it (with the possible exception of Rooney). Then Keane is nearing retirement, Scholes, Van Nist, G.Neville & Giggs are all in the twilight of their careers. They apparently have little money to spend after buying Rooney without offloading some players and there might even be questions about Ferguson himself...Then if they bring in a new manager he's going to have feck all money to spend.

My 2cs anyway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Poor performace, Ferdinand is having a laugh, barely worth 10 million, never mind 6 million per year in wages, Brown and Silvestre is dodge as hell.

RVN in twillight of career, he's 28 years old not 33! Neville is 29!! He is a defender, what about Irwin, Cafu, Maldini, Parker??
    Scholes and Giggs are getting there alright but not the other 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

yop wrote:
    RVN in twillight of career, he's 28 years old not 33! Neville is 29!! He is a defender, what about Irwin, Cafu, Maldini, Parker??
    Scholes and Giggs are getting there alright but not the other 2

I stand corrected, I though V.N. was heading for 30 and Neville was heading for 31:o Fair point on Maldini, Cafu etc but they are/were exceptional for their age...dunno about Neville though:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

cmcquaid wrote:
    according to sky sports lyon turned down a bid for michael essien from chelsea although its been suggested theyll come back with an improved offer. imagine him in that chelsea team no one would have a chance the fa should do something about the farce that is chelsea

you're absolutely right, it's just not fair that a team that has no significant history in winning the english league should be allowed to build a team to challenge the likes of Man u , Liverpool and Arsenal, these teams have always been the best in england and deserve to retain their status by virtue of this fact alone. If anyone should be buying the world's top players it should be the teams who have always been at the top. I don't know where Chelsea get this idea that they can just buy up talented footballers left, right, centre (and in goal), surely these players would be more interested in joining a club with a great history rather than a great future, like Rooney, he didn't do it for the money he did it for the status of joining one of the world's best known clubs instead, thats the kind of player we need to see more of, the kind of player who will go to utd or arsenal.

There should be a new rule forbidding Russian billionaires from buying football clubs, american millionaires is one thing but Russians... no way.

Sorry, have to stop I'm crying :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    Jivin, can you tell me something that Keano did wrong last night?
    I'm not saying he shouldn't be replaced, but nobody is jumping on Scholesy, who I thought was terrible!
    Fletcher got taken off which imo was absolute bull****, he was the best midfielder on the pitch, very annoyed that he got taken off.
    Keane and Scholes are still both cracking players in their own right, but as a midfield pairing I dont think they have what it takes to dominate on multiple fronts over a season. In particular as Scholes, despite only being 30, seems to be ageing poorly.

They need a world class player alongside them to share the workload over the season. And they need it now. Someone like Fletcher is not in the class required, and to be honest Im not sure if he will ever get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

growler wrote:
    you're absolutely right, it's just not fair that a team that has no significant history in winning the english league should be allowed to build a team to challenge the likes of Man u , Liverpool and Arsenal, these teams have always been the best in england and deserve to retain their status by virtue of this fact alone. If anyone should be buying the world's top players it should be the teams who have always been at the top. I don't know where Chelsea get this idea that they can just buy up talented footballers left, right, centre (and in goal), surely these players would be more interested in joining a club with a great history rather than a great future, like Rooney, he didn't do it for the money he did it for the status of joining one of the world's best known clubs instead, thats the kind of player we need to see more of, the kind of player who will go to utd or arsenal.

There should be a new rule forbidding Russian billionaires from buying football clubs, american millionaires is one thing but Russians... no way.

Sorry, have to stop I'm crying :-)

Lol, summed it up in one there mate! Its a disgrace that anyone other than United, Arsenal or the Pool should be able to win the league. I'm still getting over Blackburn in 1995.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Ouch and again Ouch! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

cmcquaid wrote:

he's a good player but to suggest thaat no one else would have a chance is a bit off the mark IMO.
    So if Utd go for him should the fa do something too? didn't think so. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hey come one its not fair that you out Arsenal in the same category as Man utd. Arsenal ae a much smaller club and have been the only club in the last eight or so years to seriously challenge the commercial might of Utd, so a bit of respect and credit please!

Do you see Arsenal fans whinging, expecially since they have lost the league, not utd.

Im glad that chelsea have won the league and it will make it much more interesting in the future. The power shift has been from the northeast of england ( Man utd, Liverpool) to London( Chelsea, Arsenal) and utd fans have not only know that now but also know that they could very well do a liverpool and not win th league again in decades if the current plight is not sorted out. Next season will be critical for utd.
    You dont become a bad team overnight but it will be hard to stop the downward spiral of quality that is underway at old trafford.

As regards the FA cup match i expect Arsenal to win if its a game of football, but if its a battle then utd should win. Utd know that they cannot outplay the top sides anymore, they can only out fight them (as happend in their 4-2 victory at highbury). I just wonder is there any more fight left in utd this season. Unfortunately I think there is a Utd could shade the Final.

No doubt soon enough the press will start to hype things up again, battle of caridif nonesense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

jank wrote:

As regards the FA cup match i expect Arsenal to win if its a game of football, but if its a battle then utd should win. Utd know that they cannot outplay the top sides anymore, they can only out fight them (as happend in their 4-2 victory at highbury). I just wonder is there any more fight left in utd this season. Unfortunately I think there is a Utd could shade the Final.

Hmmm, i seem to recall that Utd both outfought AND outplayed Arsenal completely in that game at Highbury.

Fully expect the final to be a different affair though, just hope Alex can bang a few heads together and get them performing, otherwise Arsenal could walk it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well if you win the fight then its easy to outplay a team that doesnt want to fight or play anymore. Winning the fight made them win the match.

At the moment arsenal are putting on a fine display against everton.
    Fine is a bit of an understatement, there totally destroying them!

Jank, what match were you watching?
    Arsenal committed more fouls in both matches, 2-0(20 to 25) and 4-2(17 to 21).
    Man Utd muscle people off the game, they always do, they are an english side.
    Its a mans game, you're allowed.
    As for being outplayed, the 4-2 win was one of the most open games in english football I've seen!
    p.s. The match was won in the tunnel :)

That said, ****ing hell, after Arsenal tonight I think they'll be favorites to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:
    p.s. The match was won in the tunnel :)

people dont actually believe that do they?

Advertisement