Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

non-EU licence

Options
  • 09-05-2005 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I have a non-EU friend (Canada full licence, male, 38) who is coming over and I want to add him as a named driver on my policy (Opel Vectra... yes I'll get a new car sometime :) )

How do insurance companies look upon non-EU licences, I'd guess that certain non eu countries are recognised (US, CA, commonwealth, JP) and this must be one of them

I'm off to google some more, but any info or past experiences would be handy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Dunno exactly how Ireland works. But I emmigrated to the states, and in texas, you're allowed drive for 30 (i think. might be 60) days on an out of state licence, at which point you must get a texas licence to legally continue driving.

My wife called her insurance company while she was waiting to pick me up at the airport and put me on the policy ;) Apparently, they said i could drive "for a while" on my irish licence but to get a texas licence ASAP.

It took me over nine months to get a texas licence, and i continued driving the whole time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

He will have to get an Irish licence. The canadian licence is not recongised here, so he will need a provisional and all the BS that goes with that. not good news sorry:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Bond-007 wrote:
    He will have to get an Irish licence. The canadian licence is not recongised here, so he will need a provisional and all the BS that goes with that. not good news sorry:(

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html
    Rules
    If you are not from any of the above countries, (for example, if you are from Canada, the United States or New Zealand), and you hold a national driving licence or an international driving permit from your own country, you may drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit (up to 12 months).

Based on past experinec of putting yanks on my policy, ring the insurance company, give the details of your friend (age, license etc) and how long you want him on your policy. If it's only for 2 weeks it will probably be free or a nominal charge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Balfa wrote:
    Dunno exactly how Ireland works. But I emmigrated to the states, and in texas, you're allowed drive for 30 (i think. might be 60) days on an out of state licence, at which point you must get a texas licence to legally continue driving.

My wife called her insurance company while she was waiting to pick me up at the airport and put me on the policy ;) Apparently, they said i could drive "for a while" on my irish licence but to get a texas licence ASAP.

It took me over nine months to get a texas licence, and i continued driving the whole time.

my brothers in houston, and he has been stopped numerous times by the cops, once they stopped him for 'breaking a stop sign' they wanted to give him a court date there and then but he told them he was going back to ireland the next day so after a 15 minute discussion between themselves they let him go. so driving with a foreign license has its advantages. he has got a texas license since though as he couldnt get insured on a car unless it was a rental.

hey as an aside those dallas streets are mean. ive never felt more unsafe anywhere than downtown dallas on a saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

lomb wrote:
    hey as an aside those dallas streets are mean. ive never felt more unsafe anywhere than downtown dallas on a saturday afternoon.
    I suppose it's the weirdo-to-normal ratio. There are way more weirdos in chicago, for instance, but there are way way more normal people walking around.

Downtown Dallas can be pretty empty a times, so it takes just a couple of weirdos to spook you out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭halkar

He can drive up to 12 months after that he become resident and will have to get a provisional just like any resident. Check your insurance company, I was in UK for over 8 months and had a company car with non-EU license, insurance was not problem.

If he is coming for only few weeks, better to rent, less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Balfa wrote:
    I suppose it's the weirdo-to-normal ratio. There are way more weirdos in chicago, for instance, but there are way way more normal people walking around.

Downtown Dallas can be pretty empty a times, so it takes just a couple of weirdos to spook you out :)

spooked me out BIG time. i walked past a bus shelter and the bus driver possibly in there had 2 handguns in 2 holsters abdomen mounted! this down and out started following me, i crossed over the street and he still followed me! then the winds picked up and tumbleweed started blowing across the ground.really spooky. the jfk monument place was ok though, loads of tourists about felt fine there. there was a quiet reverence to the place tbh.

my mistake was parking the car 5 blocks from jfk, as i couldnt find it, i thought id park it and walk. for people never been there, downtown dallas on a 'busy saturday afternoon' has a weirdo/normal people ration of between 30-1 and 50-1. there are literally no 'normal' people walking the streets there. i kid u not, and this is between the skyscrapers on the dallas tv shop not some dodgy suberb like ballymun!

Advertisement