Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time on Gov. Spending and Tolls

Options
  • 09-05-2005 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭

Just finished watching a Prime Time on the gross over spending the government and civil service do with regard to public projects especially roads. Makes my blood boil, when you take into account the tolls we the public will pay on all the planned roads to be build using a tolling system we are going to end up paying 4 times what it would cost with just tax money. Ridiculous in the extreme.

Did anyone else watch it, care to comment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

http://www.audgen.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=475&&CatID=5&StartDate=1+January+2005

public private partnershi[

read the above link it is a report on the buliding of the multistory carpark at beaumont hospital
    if that does not make your blood boil nothing will

main points include
    payment was made through tax breaks which ended up costing the state between 9 and 13 million euro more than if the state had just built it at a cost of 8.6 million

it was built on top of the old carpark and resulted in only an extra 230 parking spaces

the company that was picked from a shortlist of 3 was not the best deal for the hospital

the hospital expected an income of about 1.8 million over the first 3 years they got 120,000 because they were fined by the operator for allowing illegal parking in the hospital grounds

on top of that they lost the 500,000 euros a year they were earning from the old car park

they then had to spend hundreds of thousands on bollards and security guards to prevent illegal parking in the hospital grounds

this is the kind of thing the pds stand for PPP

We'd better mention the new airport terminal that the union frightened FF dominated government want to spend , what is it, ah yes €100 million clearing a site first before they even spend a penny building it, when theres other much cheaper private enterprise options...

Though Harney is totally against that one.Didnt they stop Ahern in the stadium crazieness too?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hey don't forget they are talking about a 3rd Private Terminal as a fudge so they can have the DAA running the 2nd Terminal. Talk about a pack of headless twits running the country.

I missed prime time unfortunately as it looked worthwhile tonight. As for hospital car parks I am now intimately involved with the Car Park in Vincents and it is a disgrace that people visiting sick relatives/friends are being fleeced by a private company. Eventhou I have got a concession because one of my relatives is gravely sick in there it galls me to think that a private company is benefitting and not the hospital directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Wicknight wrote:
    It's going to happen again with the 'decentralisation project' as the costs admitted by Tom Parlon are nowhere near the full amount. As far as he's concerned, the only cost is in acquiring buildings. There are huge, undisclosed costs involved on the staffing side. No reliable or detailed estimates of the benefits exist.

Oh & PPP is being used to provide the buildings.......

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

bertie ahern is the prob come on we watched that prime time program last night we shouldn't have to pay tolls on our roads. the nra and opw should get new leadership and we the tax payer should get value for money. all the money they are wasting could go into schools,gyms hospitals...i believe the best politican was charlie haughey he could take the right decesions investing in education, ifsc (when we had not alot of money) compared that to bertie who has billions bertie bowl, nra, dublin airport, hospitals,schools.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

The significance of the information in last night program has been missed, haven't listened to talk radio today so I don't know if people have picked it up. Watch the program, it's available on RTEs website. If the program is to be believed, there is systematic deliberate overspending taking place and biggest winner are construction companies. A mate of the Taoiseach was involved in one land deal according to the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Wicknight wrote:
    I made my comments here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Jesus1222 wrote:
    there is systematic deliberate overspending taking place and biggest winner are construction companies.

No, the biggest winner are people who are over spending. THey should be doing a better job.

Mis use of public monies by central and local government needs full and proper public investigation.

Systems need to be put in place to hold people accountable be they public officials or ministers.

That said, I feel the Prime Time programme was like rehashing old stuff.

Don't get me wrong, over spending is going on but I felt the spotlight needed to be put on current spending programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Cork wrote:
    No, the biggest winner are people who are over spending. THey should be doing a better job.
    They're not personally gaining anything out of it (unlike the construction companies) and hence they're losers by proxy. And as taxpayers, losers like the rest of us. Of course as you say, they're not going to get fired for incompetence (where incompetence exists) and therefore they lose no more than anyone else regardless of their involvement.

Advertisement