Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential freshman seeks advice

• 09-05-2005 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Im hopin to get to UCD. Any comments helpful or otherwise on your first year there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

You're opening Pandora's Box there...

*awaits the onslaught*

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

As chandler says:
    Can..Open..Worms..EVERYWHERE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yes, if you have a read through the other posts on this forum you'll see alot of comments from people about how they found their first year. I'd only be repeating myself if I went into how I found first year but I'll say this to you crimsonfire - join the clubs/societies.

That said, though...

From reading through a lot of the posts on this board you'd be liable to get a very dodgy impression of UCD..and that's not always the case.

Like any big change, some people are going to adapt to it quickly, and others will find it harder..Whether you get on immediately in UCD depends on so many factors, like if you know other people going, if you're doing your course because you genuinely WANT to do it and not for any other reason, if you're naturally sociable or not...the list goes on.

I'd say it mostly hinges on your attitude..Don't go into UCD expecting the whirlwind of college life to immediately sweep you up and present you with all these amazing opportunities and new friends, it WILL do that eventually, but you need to make it happen yourself. Get active, join things, talk to people, put yourself out there. Don't sit back for the first two months waiting to be amazed and be surprised when it seems like you've missed the boat.

You really do get back out of UCD what you put into it.

Zane's thread on his situation and the thread about our regrets for the year offer good insight into people's views. I think alot of people just get overwhelmed by the whole experience. I know I did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

completely depends what your planning on doing??/ and who do you already know??? are you coming to ucd already with friends/? if your planning on doing a course where u really get know ppl like i am doing u will prob love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Vainglory wrote:
    That said, though...

From reading through a lot of the posts on this board you'd be liable to get a very dodgy impression of UCD..and that's not always the case.

Like any big change, some people are going to adapt to it quickly, and others will find it harder..Whether you get on immediately in UCD depends on so many factors, like if you know other people going, if you're doing your course because you genuinely WANT to do it and not for any other reason, if you're naturally sociable or not...the list goes on.

I'd say it mostly hinges on your attitude..Don't go into UCD expecting the whirlwind of college life to immediately sweep you up and present you with all these amazing opportunities and new friends, it WILL do that eventually, but you need to make it happen yourself. Get active, join things, talk to people, put yourself out there. Don't sit back for the first two months waiting to be amazed and be surprised when it seems like you've missed the boat.

You really do get back out of UCD what you put into it.

Well said that man. I have yet to see anyone else put it better, take heed crimsonfire :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Read lecture notes, do readings, move somewhere near to ucd that doesn't involve gettin up at thre crack of 4am, prepare essays and stuff for tutorials, go to tutorials, get up in the morning...

Also join societies and go to the pub lots...practicise ur pool...comes in handy.

go to the pub more

go to lectures lots, take legible notes and find the library before christmas...

Other than that listen to us moany bollixs and u'l get an idea-but generally it isnt as bad as we make it out....

it's worse mwha hahahahahaha......

(testing, testing, sarcasm detectors....)

Well said that man. I have yet to see anyone else put it better, take heed crimsonfire :).

Well said who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Right... I loved first year. Hated 2nd and 3rd year. I've just been in the wrong course all this time.
    As soon as I started in UCD, I got involved with the TKD club. One of the best things I've done since starting in college. I got to meet so many fantastic people, and learn a great martial art. But if you're into any sport, join the relevant club. It's a great way to get to know people especially outside of your course, and to do something fun with your time in college. It's also much cheaper to pick up a sport in UCD than it is outside, and working out is a great de-stress, especially at exam time. And some clubs supply free beer on occasion. :)

• Advertisement

Vainglory wrote:
    Well said who?

oops! Edited to clarify.

oops! Edited to clarify.

Oh, thanks :)

But I'm not a man, so you might wanna edit again :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Join the clubs/socs AND ATTEND.

Go to all your lectures (ok, most - don't systematically miss any).
    Do all your coursework, it's not really that much work (some are, most aren't - mine certainly not).

Talk to people.

Don't spend all your free time on the computers, it's soul destroying...

I choose not to.

Male until proven female, its the internet way ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

kasintahan wrote:
    Don't spend all your free time on the computers, it's soul destroying...

And exam-destroying...

I choose not to.

Male until proven female, its the internet way ;).

Hmmm, that's some disturbing logic...

*smacks Aviana Nice Interpreter with her decidedly feminine internet handbag*

;)

Oh - and join the gym if you have a few 2 hour gaps. Once you get into the routine of going you really enjoy it.
    If you're a guy and want to get ripped then read the fitness forum here on boards, you will need supplements (or a very, very, carefully worked diet). Don't waste your time by not knowing how to achieve what you want (I did :rolleyes: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

I didn't expect this many posts in about....em....20 minutes but thanks for the advice. I've put arts down on the cao and its lookin like it'll be the one im most likely to get. I've already gotten a good impression of UCD from the sheer willingness of its students to help me out.
    *Hugs everyone on the thread then realizes error of ways and goes back to sit in the corner*
    But seriously, some good practical advice is just what I needed. TBH college is a daunting prospect.

I didn't expect this many posts in about....em....20 minutes but thanks for the advice. I've put arts down on the cao and its lookin like it'll be the one im most likely to get. I've already gotten a good impression of UCD from the sheer willingness of its students to help me out.
    *Hugs everyone on the thread then realizes error of ways and goes back to sit in the corner*
    But seriously, some good practical advice is just what I needed. TBH college is a daunting prospect.

I think it's good that you see college as daunting. It shows you're not going into the place naive. I look back on my first few weeks and it's like I was a different person. I just drifted along and was lost in the crowd. I won't make that mistake again (assuming I'm in UCD next year :o ). As people have been saying, just make an effort. A little effort will go a long way and believe me when I say that a serious lack of effort will go a long way towards making you feel miserable.

crimson fire id consider v carefully before doing arts. Everyone iv ever heard of who dislikes ucd its bacause they are doing arts in that big concrete jungle!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Advice:

DON'T GO TO UCD.

Come here

Bloody Troll....

3 day ban.

And no this isnt anti TCD(the scummy buggers), its anti someone posting something designed to be inflammatory without even bothering to back it up with an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Im hopin to get to UCD. Any comments helpful or otherwise on your first year there?

Be prepared for everything that can possibly happen. You may love it, you may hate it. So many factors can come into play whether you like the college or not. I hated my 1st year, I look back on it with sadness. I found the size of the place terribly daunting, the amount of people out here is daunting (esp. Arts 1,300 people :eek: ) and the fact I never really got to know anyone in my course ripped me to pieces emotionally. Some people can adapt to the size of the place more easily than others. I got freaked out on my first day out here and I was never the same. If you are doing Arts be prepared to enter a course with a bad atmosphere. There is no spirit or community amongst anyone and its simply full of cliques. That will not change for when you enter. Now you could get lucky and meet a great bunch of people, its a matter of who you happen to meet will decide whether you will have a good social life out here or not. My advice is talk to everyone possible during those early weeks. Be friendly, approachable and be yourself. If you do encounter any problems socially, clubs/societies are the way to meet decent people. In freshers week you will have the opportunity to join a vast amount of varying clubs and societies. There is nearly something for everyone. Don't join societies like L&H, B&L or C&E who are only there to rob precious cash off you to invest in their elite D4 parties in Bondaaaiii :mad: . Decide carefully which societies you are going to join. Some rob cash off you, some organise nothing *cough* F1 society *cough* so watch out for the motivated, friendly people at the societies' stalls. Join as much as you can, go to everything and then narrow down which clubs/socs you want to invest your time in.

Regarding the goddam educational aspect I encourage you to go to as many lectures as possible. If you miss a lecture bribe a freind for the notes. Having all of your notes is priceless. Another vital aspect of lectures are the readings the lecturers tell you to do. I never did any of them but I only just realised at exam time how important it was to do some of these readings. Go to all of your tutorials. You learn alot during them and lets say you get alot of ''brownie points'' for attending most of them. They are easy marks but go to them. Do all your coursework whether it be essays or assignments. They make up a big chunk of your end of year result and by doing them and doing well you can relieve some pressure off the exams. Do study for your exams unlike me, it will be worth it!

Yes UCD is a big place and it has many great points and some bad points. Its not perfect but where is? If you approach it confidently your UCD years will be the best years of your life.

Best of luck! :)

It's not really THAT big.

Most of the campus is on one long concourse with the buildings to either side.
    There is a lot of concrete but it's only ugly. Ugly I can live with so long as it's functional.

I actually like the way everything is centralised on one single campus, not like DIT or (to a certain extent) trinners. The computer labs, the gym and sports facilities, student centre, the 3 bars even the lake - all within 5 minutes of each other or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

My advice for doing arts is, only do it if you think you'll enjoy whatever subjects you choose. If you're only doing it because you dont think you can get into anything else you WILL hate it.

As everyone else says, join societies and get involved. I didnt and totally regret it. I've come out of my first year of college with friends I already had, and only a few accquaintances (sp?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Join lots of societies because on freshers week you're not going to be sure which ones you're going to click with personal, ineterst, and schedual-wise (I started the year sure I'd get involved with Dramsoc and L&H, big mistake, but luckly I'd joined about a million other societies and found one I really loved).

As a general rule of thumb I've found that small societies try to do more for their members because 1) there's less kudos for running a small society so people are doing it because they actually give a sh!t and 2) they're working to get more members because more members = bigger grant, whereas large societies can practically guarentee lots of membership. But I'm sure there are exceptions.

Start out prepared not to like it so much for the first while, me and a friend of mine decided we wanted to drop out after the first day because it was such a massive shock to the system. I didn't really get into the swing of things til november and I didn't start loving ucd til January really.

If you're doing arts, choose your third subject carefully. You might already think you know that you're going to drop it in 2nd year but you never know, one of your other ones could turn out to be awful.

When you come to the wonderful realisation that you can skip you essays, tutorials, and lectures without anyone hasseling you do not take this as a carte blanche to do fu(k all. You will regret it when you start your exams.

Don't just go home after your lectures. Hang around campus a lot. Go to the bars, go to the arts cafe, sit by the lake. Get to know people.

Don't get hung up on the archeitecture. Sure, the bulidings aren't pretty but, like, so what. That shouldn't stop you you having fun in and around them. Personally the ugly has never bothered me and on days like today when it's mad sunny I personally think ucd tooks very pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

When you come to the wonderful realisation that you can skip you essays, tutorials, and lectures without anyone hasseling you do not take this as a carte blanche to do fu(k all. You will regret it when you start your exams.

By the by, the reason we all sound like such nerds, telling you to work and all that is because we are all stressing about our exams and regretting that we did no work all year right now. There is no chance we will all go to all our lectures, do our readings when it comes to september!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

beanyb wrote:
    There is no chance we will all go to all our lectures, do our readings when it comes to september!

Oh, of course not, but at least we'll know how badly we're screwing ourselves over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Hey Crimsonfire, glad to hear you're hoping to get into UCD. Pretty much everything I would advise you to do has been mentioned here already by the other posters. I want to emphasise the whole joing clubs/societies thing though, joining the Ninjutsu club was one of the best things I did in college! Pick something your genuinely interested in, or something you think you'd like to have a go at. We have a huge amount of clubs and socs here, so there's something to cater for everyones needs. Anyway good luck in the LC :cool:

• Advertisement

yeah join clubs and ****. iv just finished 2nd yr and can honestly say its been the best experience of my life. iv made a few good freinds and met loads of peeople. its generally just arts students u find moaning

Advertisement