Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bittorrent

• 09-05-2005 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey im on iol bb,im using bittorrent azureus and i have forwarded ports
    6881-6889 from my modem (zyxel prestige 600) to my computer
    and the same ports from my wireless router (linksys wrt54g) to my computer.
    At this stage its driving me crazy to be honest.i think that its not actually the linksys router cos i conected a laptop straight to the modem and did a port scan.the laptop had no firewall turned on n it came back as stealthed ports,which is strange.cant figure out what to do.my files are downloading but im gettin like at the most 30kb\s which is crap comparing to what i get on limewire n its telling me theres a nat error so please help!the light on my bittorrent program stays at yellow instead of hitting green too which also suggests nat problem...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

i had the same problem and what i did to fix it was to go back into the modem setup and set the modem as a bridge, once that's done then use your router to control all port forwarding and you should'nt have any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

ive the same problem aswell, ill try that Eye, nice one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

use dif ports 68881-6889 are been throttled
    try something like 10000 up to 50000

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Azureus only uses one port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Interesting - I upgraded to the latest azureus version automatically last night, and not a single torrent downloaded during the night.
    Same NAT/Router problem came up on mine ...

Changing port don't work either - hmm....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Why are people always recommending that someone opens a range of about 40,000 ports for bittorrent? Thats a tad rediculous considaring only 1 is needed. And other programs need only 1 port per torrent at most... so unless you download 40,000 torrents at once....

MY advice, choose a random number between 10,000 and 50,000 and use that as your port. Never choose a standard one (like 6881, or 16881... which seems to be becoming the new standard)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ditto to what Mutant Fruit said.

Azeureus can be flaky at the best of times too.

use something like bitlord (my current favourite) on a random port, and see how you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

<rant>
    I'm sick to death of hearing about people using bit torrent and P2P proggies. It's programs like that, that slow things down for the rest of us. Let's face it, you're not all downloading linux iso's and everyone knows it.
    </rant>

<flame_irishtlr>

Why are people always recommending that someone opens a range of about 40,000 ports for bittorrent? Thats a tad rediculous considaring only 1 is needed. And other programs need only 1 port per torrent at most... so unless you download 40,000 torrents at once....

MY advice, choose a random number between 10,000 and 50,000 and use that as your port. Never choose a standard one (like 6881, or 16881... which seems to be becoming the new standard)

Yes thats what i ment pick one port between 10000 and 60000...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I upgraded to the latest azureus version automatically last night, and not a single torrent downloaded during the night.

Download the latest Java. That'll fix it.

The new azureus has a tab to the irc chat room. Have a look in there. Most of your problems will be sorted in 10 minutes.

• Advertisement

zoro wrote:
    Interesting - I upgraded to the latest azureus version automatically last night, and not a single torrent downloaded during the night.

Changing port don't work either - hmm....

Problems with the update to 2.3.0.0

If you are having connections problems or poor speeds after updating to 2.3.0.0 (proceed to step 2 if step 1 does not fix the problem):

1. Uninstall any versions of java, restart your computer and install the new java jre 1.5.0_03 series.

2. Uninstall Azureus, restart your computer and make a fresh install of the latest release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

IrishTLR wrote:
    <rant>
    I'm sick to death of hearing about people using bit torrent and P2P proggies. It's programs like that, that slow things down for the rest of us. Let's face it, you're not all downloading linux iso's and everyone knows it.
    </rant>

<flame_irishtlr>

Are you telling me there's more than just Linux iso's on BT?? :eek:

IrishTLR wrote:
    <rant>
    </rant>

<flame_irishtlr>
    then don't read or post ffs.

a thread titled 'bittorrent' what were you expecting to see?

people will always do what they want.

nobody here has any performance issues because of what everyone else is doing.

go to www.microsoft.com and do a direct download of XP SP2 and a linux iso from heanet you'll get it as fast as your line will allow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

vibe666 wrote:
    then don't read or post ffs.
    Not what I meant. I mean I'm sick to death of people using bit torrent and those same people complaining that their connection is slow. They are a significant contributary factor to the slowness. Never mind the other ethical issues.
    vibe666 wrote:
    nobody here has any performance issues because of what everyone else is doing.

You are so wrong. With contention ratios taken into account, anyone on my shared line who is downloading torrents 24/7 will affect my line. You're quote is flawed.

However, this is not the place to debate it. No more replies from me on this tread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Nocturnal

ive tried setting the modem up as a bridge also and my whole connection just dropped,anyone got any other ideas!!???

IrishTLR wrote:
    You are so wrong. With contention ratios taken into account, anyone on my shared line who is downloading torrents 24/7 will affect my line. You're quote is flawed.
    Well, i believe eircom is on 24:1 contention (i'm too lazy to read exactly what it is). So, that means if ANYONE else downloads something at the same time as you... you're going to get half the bandwidth.

Now, how often is it that you can't actually max out (assuming you can actually reach 2meg speeds... since its RADSL). You'll find 90% of people can max out all the time. So, that implies either there is only 1 person at each exchange.... or eircom have enough bandwidth that contention isn't an issue. You tell me the answer to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lexmark.Printer

Tazzle wrote:

Azureus does not only use one port! Some torrent sites require you to change the default port azureus uses.

Most private torrent sites will ask you to change your ports.

Why do I get a "rejected by tracker - Port xxxx is blacklisted" error?
    Your client is reporting to the tracker that it uses one of the default bittorrent ports (6881-6889) or any other common p2p port for incoming connections.

This site (site name romoved for the Mods) does not allow clients to use ports commonly associated with p2p protocols. The reason for this is that it is a common practice for ISPs to throttle those ports which means that bandwidth is limited and the speed suffers..

The blocked ports list include, but is not necessarily limited to, the following:Direct Connect 411 - 413
    Kazaa 1214
    Gnutella 6346 - 6347
    BitTorrent 6881 - 6889

In order to use use our tracker you must configure your client to use any port range that does not contain those ports (a range within the region 49152 through 65535 is preferable, cf. IANA). Notice that some clients, like Azureus 2.0.7.0 or higher, use a single port for all torrents, while most others use one port per open torrent. The size of the range you choose should be typically less than 10 ports wide. There is no benefit whatsoever in choosing a wide range, and there are possible security implications.

These ports are used for connections between peers, not client to tracker. Therefore this change will not interfere with your ability to use other trackers (in fact it should increase your speed with torrents from any tracker, not just ours). Your client will also still be able to connect to peers that are using the standard ports. If your client does not allow custom ports to be used, you will have to switch to one that does.

Do not ask which ports you should choose. The more random the choice is the harder it will be for ISPs to catch on to us and start limiting speeds on the ports we use. If we simply define another range ISPs will start throttling that range also.

Why else does Azureus allow you to change and test your port? ;)

vibe666 wrote:
    ditto to what Mutant Fruit said.

Azeureus can be flaky at the best of times too.

use something like bitlord (my current favourite) on a random port, and see how you go.

If you set Azureus up properly you will not have any problems with it. His problem is not with Azureus. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Honestly, I don't know what to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭stuey

i ahve the exact same configuration as u nocturnal, same hardware and everyhting. first of all update the firmware on the wrt54g before u mess around. then set up the modem as a bridge and put all the setting into the wrt54g instead.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Azureus does not only use one port! Some torrent sites require you to change the default port azureus uses.

Where did I say it was one specific port?
    Tazzle wrote:

Now whether you use 10 or 10000, it's still just one

Idiot.

Azureus only uses ONE listen port. (plus one for the embedded tracker) Both TCP and UDP are used,but on the same port. So you will ONLY need to forward one listening port for Azureus, and you will need to tick both the TCP box and the UDP box.
    Point proven.

If you set Azureus up properly you will not have any problems with it. His problem is not with Azureus. :p
    the win32 version of azeureus has plenty wrong with it whether set up 'properly' or not. I've seen plenty of threads on different forums where it is eating up system resources because of the way it uses java on win32 systems (funnily enough *nix systems seem unaffected, but then thats normally true of everything)and more besides.

any time anyone is having problems with a particular BT client, it's always a good thing to at least try another one to see if the problem goes away. just plain old common sense.

Tazzle wrote:
    Where did I say it was one specific port?

Now whether you use 10 or 10000, it's still just one

Idiot.

Read the posts above yours and then yours. To me it looked like you were saying you can't change it.

So take a chill pill baby! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Nocturnal

ok stuey i upgraded my firmware to 3.0,the wireless router is fine but if you set the modem as a bridge,you loose nat and just cant connect to the internet,i have all the ports forwarded from the router and not from the modem now,by the way there are 4 computers on my network but im the only one that uses bittorrent.what other setting should i change besides routing to bridge in the modem setup wizard??!!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Do not ask which ports you should choose. The more random the choice is the harder it will be for ISPs to catch on to us and start limiting speeds on the ports we use. If we simply define another range ISPs will start throttling that range also.
    ...and if people keep using random ports, ISPs will start using other means - like IPP2P or L7 - to identify and throttle P2P traffic. Like it or not, when it comes to a fight between the owners and the users of a network as to how that network is used, the owners are going to win one way or another.

oscarBravo wrote:
    ...and if people keep using random ports, ISPs will start using other means - like IPP2P or L7 - to identify and throttle P2P traffic. Like it or not, when it comes to a fight between the owners and the users of a network as to how that network is used, the owners are going to win one way or another.

IPP2P uses suitable search patterns to identify P2P traffic thus allowing the reliable identification of traffic belonging to many P2P networks.

If it was a simple as that they would already have done it! Notice how it says many P2P networks and not all. Thats the key!!

If IPP2P was a problem, those P2P networks will quickly adapt and change. It will be a never ending battle with the programmers battling the programmers not ISP's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Calm down lads, feel lucky to live a country were we can even discuss Bittorrent, although we can't discuss where to get illegal files as per charter so watch it.

In some Arab countries, they would cut off your hands.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

IPP2P uses suitable search patterns to identify P2P traffic thus allowing the reliable identification of traffic belonging to many P2P networks.

If it was a simple as that they would already have done it! Notice how it says many P2P networks and not all. Thats the key!!
    No, it's not. IPP2P is a tradeoff. Implementing it means that every single packet that passes through the firewall has to be inspected and compared to a series of rules - it's a lot of work, but it can be done, possibly at a small penalty to overall throughput. If P2P becomes a serious enough problem, solutions like IPP2P will be implemented. I had to implement it on my network, because filesharers were ruining everyone else's online experience. Believe me: it works - and bittorrent doesn't.
    If IPP2P was a problem, those P2P networks will quickly adapt and change. It will be a never ending battle with the programmers battling the programmers not ISP's.
    The only way to work around IPP2P and its ilk is to change the protocol. That's harder to do than changing the few lines of code needed to recognise and handle the new protocol.

• Advertisement

I think this is going just a bit off topic.

We'll bring this up in 5years time and see if P2P has been stopped or not

For the moment lets just agree to disagree as we're both experience programmers. I've got a P2P program to update. ;)

Advertisement