Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Miffed Trekkie

• 10-05-2005 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

What is it about Paramount? When they get feedback from ST fans about how to improve the franchise do they just stick their fingers in their ears and start shouting "LALALA I CANT HEAR YOU LALALA!!!"
    The stagnation of the franchise is infuriating people like me everywhere. I heard from a reliable source that software publisher Activision cancelled their contract with Paramount because they had let the series basically go down the crapper.
    Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy Enterprise but now theyre thinking of a prequel movie as well? Personally I really think they need to keep it in the present (or future, whatever) and expand on what the Federation and Starfleet are doing post-voyager/DS9/TNG
    I've also read an interview with Rick Berman in which he says they want to move away from the more familiar elements of the franchise. I'm all for new ideas and concepts but familiar faces (i.e. Admiral Janeways appearance in ST:X) are what keeps me, personally, interested to an extent.
    Maybe I'm just ranting but I know there are many others out there who share my anger with the star trek powers-that-be.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

i disagree. if a series was set post voyager then we would have too put up with them damn holograms! EMH, ECH (emergency command hologram) etc. Why not have the whole of starfleet run by them?!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

toiletduck wrote:
    i disagree. if a series was set post voyager then we would have too put up with them damn holograms! EMH, ECH (emergency command hologram) etc. Why not have the whole of starfleet run by them?!!!

That’s a good point tbh.Voyager and even tng/tos went a bit mad when it came to self awear computer programs.It got so bad that i swear if someone started playing Civ 78 on their padds Stalin and a whole division of T34's would materializes on the holodeck and try to take over now thats what you call AI! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah yes, reminds me of that episode of TNG where creating a fully autonomous self-aware version of "Professor Moriarty" was as easy as "tricking" the ship's computer into doing it. I used to rack my brains as a kid trying to think how that could be at all possible :)

Though I did find it funny in the TNG episode where the Enterprise had a virus or something and everyone jumped to the conclusion that it was becoming self-aware :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

no, i dont want star trek to be confined to the "little bit after ds9/voy" time period. i am all for anytime period. i dont necessarily like the constant follow on type series, i see that road as stagnation. whats needed is a fresh perspective on the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

you must have some preference for a particular time period to be shown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ye but just after nemesis would be best cause dont u want to know what has happened are the romulans and federation much more peacefull now?

The breen what happened to them?
    was cardassia occupied ? i
    so many unanswerd questions

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭crimsonfire

User45701 wrote:
    The breen what happened to them?
    was cardassia occupied ? i
    so many unanswerd questions

Thats exactly the kind of thing im on about. Theres so much they could do if they just thought about it. IMO they're just taking the easy way out by "doing a george lucas on it". This way they don't have to worry about staying faithful to previous events seen on other series. By doing pre-federation stuff then they have more room to breath because its easy to twist around things only seen in other media such as star trek encyclopedias etc.

Once again i like enterprise, a few things are bit questionable i.e. why everything looks more advanced than it did in TOS, but an altogether entertaining series nonetheless.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

It's tough to know what to do really... Carrying on from the current line of films would just lead us to TNNG (The New Next Generation :p). Maybe they need to try a leap forward 50 years or so? *shrugs* I really don't know. They've alternate timeline(s) that are options to them also.

Enterprise just got good. Of all the times they pick to cancel it, just after their best episodes. The alternate universe ones were fantastic and finally some show that bothers changing the intro&music/outro etc for a huge change in the show. I remember seeing so many shows and you get really involved, someone dies, it's all sad, the show ends and some heavy rock music comes on. C'mon people. No need to drop us in a cold pool after building up so much and working so hard to get us to feel something. *ahem* Rant, apologies.

As for the prequel film. I thought the idea was dreadful at first, it's been around for a while. It might not even happen anymore, now that Enterprise has been cancelled. It's supposed to be set after Enterprise and before TOS. Hard to know what will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

All I say is bring back data and even give him his own startrek show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Stark wrote:
    Ah yes, reminds me of that episode of TNG where creating a fully autonomous self-aware version of "Professor Moriarty" was as easy as "tricking" the ship's computer into doing it. I used to rack my brains as a kid trying to think how that could be at all possible :)

Though I did find it funny in the TNG episode where the Enterprise had a virus or something and everyone jumped to the conclusion that it was becoming self-aware :)

Starfleet engineers were newbs. They never heard of the fdisk command. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

halenger wrote:
    As for the prequel film. I thought the idea was dreadful at first, it's been around for a while. It might not even happen anymore, now that Enterprise has been cancelled. It's supposed to be set after Enterprise and before TOS. Hard to know what will happen.
    Oh good lord - it's Starfleet Academy isn't it.

Its rummored to be the romulan war

sceptre wrote:
    Oh good lord - it's Starfleet Academy isn't it.

You mean you wouldn't want to watch an entire series based around Young Wesley Crusher? Well ok fine that's a little before his time.

Oh oh great idea. Why not do Star Trek: The Academy Years. Young Jim Kirk and all his shananigans... Spock would probably be a professor though (being Vulcan and the muchly olderness). Actually Crusher could just do his time travel thingy and go back. Yeah there we go. Sounds like a great new series. *coughs*

I actually quite like to see more about the Acadamy. Always liked it.

Ro: maaan! wrote:
    I actually quite like to see more about the Acadamy. Always liked it.

What stories could you do with the academy though? lets be honest most star trek stories revolve around the ship/station being in danger, 99% of the time you simply cant do that with the academy or the students...You would get Dawson’s creek in space :rolleyes:

*i have never seen dawson creek

http://www.syfyportal.com/article.php?id=1764 <- That's a very interesting read about the new film. Sounds good from that. Definately a different take on things coming our way.

bizmark wrote:
    *i have never seen dawson creek
    Good save.

Yea, it would be pretty hard alright to cume up with story lines. Might work for a film though. Would only need event. And if it was about the founding of the federation, it might be interesting enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

A Klingon or Romulan series might work or elce as ai said new series based 3 years fater dominion war
    mabe a series following the life of a young cardassian commander who helps rebuild his ruined homeworld

Fenster wrote:
    Starfleet engineers were newbs. They never heard of the fdisk command. :p

Well they did try rebooting in once - at the end of an episode :) "Oh, that fixed it" :)

• Advertisement

The one thing I feel would take hugely from an alien based series is that they'd undoubtidly do it in English. I'm really serious when I say I feel it takes from it. Subtitles wouldn't go over well with most though. *shrugs* I know they have universal translators yadda yadda but what Klingon/Romulan/Cardassian is going to want to hear it all in English? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Also, I don't think the mass-market (outside the core "Trekkie" fan base) are going to take to series that isn't based around Earth. Much as we would like to think otherwise, the joe public out there wouldn't identify with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

The Earth <-> Romulan war would make a damn good movie / next series of Enterprise. The best of DS9 was the Dominion war, the same could hopefully said of Enterprise.

Regards

Ewan

p.s and yeah, why cancel Enterprise as its getting watchable!? :confused:

and yeah, why cancel Enterprise as its getting watchable!?

Because "watchable" or not, no one was watching it! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

BuffyBot wrote:
    Because "watchable" or not, no one was watching it! ;)

well some people were, I mean it was better than farscape.

There is an interesting, and overly detailed. PDF report (url unknown) about the reasons DS9 failed (enterprise wasn't on when it was written)
    It said that DS9 wasn't "comforting" like TNG, people liked the nice bridge, and the strong male character. I suspect this was enterprises downfall, admit it or not everyone like a strong male character, capain bakula (don't even know his characters name) was too weak

Grrr :mad: :mad:

I hope you mean "better" purley in terms of viewership. (I think it was 2 million vs 1.5 million or something).

Actually I've checked the ratings on the web and it seems they've continued to drop during Season 4...

http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/~mvrojo/entratings.htm

vector wrote:

There is an interesting, and overly detailed. PDF report (url unknown) about the reasons DS9 failed (enterprise wasn't on when it was written)
    It said that DS9 wasn't "comforting" like TNG, people liked the nice bridge, and the strong male character. I suspect this was enterprises downfall, admit it or not everyone like a strong male character, capain bakula (don't even know his characters name) was too weak

Slighty OT, but I wonder what this person would make of the new BSG. Ronald D. Moore is the executive producer, as in DS9. Its a very depressing show that deals directly with uncomfortable topics. has an extended cast and features quite basic technology, compared to the plasticy Enterprise-D look. Oh, and its quite popular right now.

For myself, DS9 was easily my favourite series for all the reasons that the other guy didn't like it. It was "gritty", had some pretty depressing stories and had an extended cast, rather than a few central characters.

Oh, and I just realised that Ops in DS9 and CIC in BSG are more than somewhat similar in layout. O.o

Funnily enough I like the new BSG but didn't like DS9.

I think the reason isn't the darkness/grittiness but purely that DS9 was absolute crap when it started to I didn't watch it. When it started getting good, it was well into a huge story arc so I couldn't get back into it.

Probably the difference here is that you're now watching BSG from the start, and more to to the point, it has one of the best first series in TV sci-fi that I've probably every seen, as opposed to the tripe Star Trek tends to turn out during its first few seasons, such as "Up the Long Ladder"

• Advertisement

well some people were

Some, just not nearly enough for the networks/production companies involved!

Advertisement