Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blocking access to all websites except mine

• 10-05-2005 1:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Im putting a computer into a shop of mine, where i want people to use it to browse my video's and dvd's that are displayed on my website. However i dont want customers using this pc to be accessing their hotmail accounts or browsing other sites, i only want them to be able to access my site with the exception of 1 or 2 other sites, for example people can click on a link within the website which will open a movie trailer curtosy of www.apple.com or www.imdb.com, these would be the only exceptions.

My question would be whats the best software i can use to achieve this without spending a fortune or is there free software that could do this.

I also have some questions on how it would work, i will be using eircom broadband and will have 4 pc's connected to the same modemn. I dont need the other 3 sites restricted just one of them so would this cause further problems.

Lastly what other issues should i consider, for example will all 4 computers need to be on the same operating system etc or if i want to connect the 4 pc's to eircoms wireless broadband would they all need to have an ethernet connection for setup and would running 4 pc's through the 1 modemn slow them down much. Between the 4 they will mostly be used for accessing web pages etc and from time to time downloading.

Thanks, and i really appreciate any advice or help anyone can give me.

p.s the 4 pc's will not be networked, but if there is no other way i will get them the networked, and if this is so please let me know whats involved there. I have 2 pc's already that have network cards and i have to buy the other 2 yet.

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would recommend installing a fifth server machine between the network and the modem. Install a proxy server on this that uses integrated windows authentication. Then all you need to do is log onto the Public machine with a low-priviledge account and set up your proxy server so that this account can only access these three sites. This allows your staff to log onto the other machines and still have the access they require.

As for what you can and can't run, well (in theory) you can network almost any windows machines. In practice, it's easier to network OS's based on Windows NT - Win 2k and WinXP. For a public machine, I wouldn't recommend anything less than Win2k Pro. To get the four machines to use one modem, you'll need either one machine running Internet Connection Sharing (hence the server idea - allows you to have much more control than using a client) or buy an off-the-shelf DSL Broadband router.

The 4 PCs will have to be networked. Only one device can use the Modem at a time, so any other setup would be ridiculously complicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Seamus, Thanks for the help much appreciated.

I know with iol and eircom broadband you can definetely run 2 computers through the same modemn, i know this because i do this already with my iol broadband. The new eircom broadband modemn has since upgraded 2 ports to 4 ports. Can these not be used to connect the 4 pcs to it.

Then is it not possible to use some sort of software to only allow access to these 3 websites?

Has anyone else any idea's.

p.s with eircoms new service you get 4 times the speed so running 4 pcs should be a breeze as there rarely will be more than 2 being used at any one time. Please see here for details of their 4 port router http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/images/routers_comparison_chart_res.htm?clickIdAction=addClickID_advert&clickFrom=/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp&clickTo=http://www.eircom.ie/bveircom/images/routers_comparison_chart_res.htm&clickFromCID=BroadbandWhatProductIsForMeRes&clickFromCategory=null&adName=Understand%20broadband%20routers%20and%20equipment

Thanks a million
    Paul

dvdfan wrote:
    Seamus, Thanks for the help much appreciated.

I know with iol and eircom broadband you can definetely run 2 computers through the same modemn, i know this because i do this already with my iol broadband. The new eircom broadband modemn has since upgraded 2 ports to 4 ports. Can these not be used to connect the 4 pcs to it.

Then is it not possible to use some sort of software to only allow access to these 3 websites?
    My apologies, I was thinking in the context of the residential "One machine" packages. :o

Certainly this will work fine.

You will still need some sort of proprietary software on the public machine to restrict site access though as far as I know. It may be possible to tweak the Group Policy (if it's a Win2k or WinXP machine) to prevent access to all sites except the ones you want, but I'm not sure.

Edit:

It may be aimed at home users, but at $40, Net Nanny seems to do exactly what you want it to.

:)

Thats exactly what i need. The whitelist option allows you to only allow specific websites only which is exactly what i need. I had a quick look at this already but i taught you could only block out chatrooms and sites with adult material.

This is great at $40 and should do exactly what i want, they have a free trial version so i can test it out. Great job seamus.

Thanks
    Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Here's a free way of blocking access except for certain sites...

• Advertisement

dalk wrote:
    Here's a free way of blocking access except for certain sites...
    I knew there was something! :)

It should then be possible to remove the content tab through Group Policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Once the above is setup the content tab is password protected... Its been a while since i done this, but I also think that if you enter a site that is prohibited it will prompt you for a pass so users can view 'prohibited' content if need be... (I think)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

another way is to use routes on the machine or further upstream
    either add an empty or junk address for the gateway

and then add routes to the sites you want - as long as the IP doesn't change should be easy enough (windowsupdate.microsoft.com is an example of a site whose IP keeps changing)

of course any co-hosted sites would be accessible.

AND/OR
    remove DNS settings and use a static hosts file to point at the only allowed sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

remove DNS settings and use a static hosts file to point at the only allowed sites.

Thats great simple and effective
    except if the person knows the ip but I would chance it.

Dec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

If it's a static site which isn't going to be updated much then you don't need an internet connection, just serve it from the machines themselves. Apache or Personal Web Server are dead easy to setup.

If it is a frequently updated or database backed site then any of the suggestions above about running proxies or setting up cut down routing tables or removing dns settings and setting up static hosts files will work pretty well.

• Advertisement

The Net Nanny option was the easiest solution. I came across a free copy so it cost me nothing, i just enter the url of the allowed site and it blocks everything else. I can enter an admin password and bypass net nanny if need be very easily. Couldnt ask for more.

Thanks for the help all
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Zoned

Have the PC that people will use to view the Internet pages connected to another PC somewhere in the shop that will pass on the page.

Netnanny can be bypassed easily.

It way in which it can be bypassed may not be available on an XP PC with the User setup as a non administrator.

If there are any teenagers around they will do it..... thats their job...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

pardon?

Advertisement