Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car...

Options
  • 10-05-2005 7:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

OK folks...looking at getting a new car at the end of June start of July (When I say new I obviously mean 2nd hand).
    Was look about spending no more than abouit 2.5k. Have my eye on a fully loaded 94 Volvo 850 2.0 SE model low enough mileage too for an 11yo.
    Anyways if any of you have any experience of the above car or can recommend any others it would be much appreicated..
    Looking for something comfortable luxurious good few bells and whistles..you know the score..

Cheers
    A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Volvo 850 seems like a good choice to me given your budget and what you want. Needless to say, you need to budget for a bit of maintenance but the car should last well

Did you consider similar age German cars such as E class, 5-series and early A6? They would come in at around your budget too. Mind you these would probably have less bells and whistles compared to the Volvo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

My father had two 850's and now has an S70 (facelifted model) and he swears by them. They are a very comfortable car and usually have a nice spec.
    Also worth taking into account is their safety. My father's car was driven into, while stationery, by a Primera (which was a write off) and it was hard to spot the damage on his. They are built like tanks. He really couldn't believe how well the car stood up to the crash.
    If you're getting a 2.0 try and find a 20v GLT as opposed to the 10v. They are smoother to drive and have more equipment than a 10v.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭doohan

Cheers guys for the suggestions. I have also been looking at a 96 Nissan Miaxima QX SE V6 24V 2.0 fully loaded for nice money. Anybody have any experience with this type of Nissan.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Again a lot of car for your money. For reasons unknown the Maxima depreciates like fook so older ones can be picked up for next to nothing. Expect better reliability with the aging Maxima compared to the Volvo / the Germans

Another one for you very much like the Maxima: Toyota Camry (most popular car in the USA). Total reliability

If you care even a little bit about image / style, the japs are out of course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have had some experience in a maxima before, I think...
    I can't quite remember it though, hmmm let me think :rolleyes:
    Nope, nothing, I can't remember a thing about it, I wonder why ;)

But they are reliable and very well kitted out, and seemingly only available in dull dark green!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

doohan wrote:
    Cheers guys for the suggestions. I have also been looking at a 96 Nissan Miaxima QX SE V6 24V 2.0 fully loaded for nice money. Anybody have any experience with this type of Nissan.

Cheers

great car for a few grand and bulletproff to boot, but as unkel says no style.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A guy here in work has a 96 Maxima for the last couple of years and it is totally reliable. Looks like an old Primera on steroids. He says it is a very comfortable motor with a smooth V6. He picked it up in Dublin a couple of years ago with very low mileage and the only problem it had was a persistant oil leak which was eventually fixed by the dealer under warranty.

If your only paying a grand or two for it then fine, run it into the ground as he tried to trade it a couple of times and nobody wanted it so that is what he is doing with it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭doohan

That's exactly what im looking for 96 Maxima. To be honest all is Ill be doing with it it NCTing it and driving it into the ground so I reckon it's one of those bad boys...for me so...

Oh roll on the end of June when the old BONUS come through..might even wait until the end of July and get a younger one..hmmmmmmm decisions decisions..ah sure we'll see I'll keep ya informed thanks guys for all your help too

A.

Advertisement