Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

shocks from door?

Options
  • 10-05-2005 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

i keep getting a shock from the door of my car when i touch it after driving?

what causes this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

static?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Sitting in the car, electrostatic charges are generated on the car seat and the person's body, due to contact and movement between the clothes and the seat. When the person leaves the seat, They take half of this charge with them
    When they reach to touch the door, the electrostatic discharge and shock occurs as their hand approaches the metal door

The voltage build-up can often be avoided by holding onto a metal part of the door frame as you leave the seat. This provides a return dissipation path for the charge on your body

closing the door with the window avoids the shock aswell but its a pain

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

do those trailing anti-static strips work?

Did a bit of research as I get this aswell:

if there's a bit of metal in your car, touch it when getting out. Once you have your foot on the ground, your earth'ed and you can let go. Like the metal on your key while its in the ignition, or the door joints... or the metal bit of the door itself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

kbannon wrote:
    do those trailing anti-static strips work?
    They might, but people might step on them from behind when you're walking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They might, but people might step on them from behind when you're walking.
    they are not that long - it is just a piece of rubber with a metal earth within hanging off the back of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

oh man, there is nothing wrong with the car :)

Rotating dryers with blown air help smoothen clothes, but synthetic fibres often become charged with static electricity.

so guys, use fabric conditioners, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Ando has it right!

I used to get it real bad.........was like getting blasted with a tazer gun! :D
    Still get it of some metal things when i pass by them

If you open the door and grab onto something metal, the easiest bit is the metal above the window, until you get out, you will be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

yeah thanks ill have experiment like holding the key or whatever, me windows are getting smudgy!
    i thought it might be something rubbing in the engine causing static around the car :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

confetti wrote:
    i thought it might be something rubbing in the engine causing static around the car :rolleyes:

nope , it's your quality tracksuit from china rubbing against other naturally synthetic fabrics. :D

wear fully synthetic clothes and you will be welding with your finger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ratchet wrote:
    wear fully synthetic clothes and you will be welding with your finger

ROFL :D

u could always try wearing nothing at all

Advertisement