Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with 28" Widescreen TV

Options
  • 10-05-2005 10:24am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Last night our TV went on the fritz. The picture went and all we were left with was a cylindrical looking spiral of lines from top to bottom of the screen. Sound was gone aswell. Anyone any idea what this could be and if so, is it fixable or is it the end?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

could the tube be banjaxed and if so would this mean a replacement TV or can the tube be replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Highly unlikely to be the CRT. Is it a vertical or horizontal line you're seeing ?
    If you turn the Brightness up to MAX does the whole screen brighten up to grey or is it just the line that gets brighter ?

Are there any strange noises - whistling, chirping - from the set ?

I think either way it's going to have to go to a repair shop but I doubt it will cost more than 70 to 120 yoyos depending on tube size.

ZEN

ZENER wrote:
    Highly unlikely to be the CRT. Is it a vertical or horizontal line you're seeing ?

It's Horizontal but with a spiral effect.

TV.jpg
    If you turn the Brightness up to MAX does the whole screen brighten up to grey or is it just the line that gets brighter ?

Can't even access the TV settings. Remote has no effect.
    Are there any strange noises - whistling, chirping - from the set ?

As I turn it on there's a surge of sound which lasts a split second and then nothing.
    I think either way it's going to have to go to a repair shop but I doubt it will cost more than 70 to 120 yoyos depending on tube size.

ZEN

It's still under extended warranty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Still under warranty ???!!!! What are you worrying about then? Get it to the repair shop/vendor straight away man !!

The lines are called flyback lines by the way and if I were a betting man I'd guess at either a power rail gone missing or a dead chip in the processing department, either way not a disaster.

Is it a Philips by any chance ?? They made a chassis a couple of years ago that gave trouble with a surface mounted chip that was difficult to replace without the proper tools.

ZEN

ZENER wrote:
    Still under warranty ???!!!! What are you worrying about then? Get it to the repair shop/vendor straight away man !!

The lines are called flyback lines by the way and if I were a betting man I'd guess at either a power rail gone missing or a dead chip in the processing department, either way not a disaster.

Is it a Philips by any chance ?? They made a chassis a couple of years ago that gave trouble with a surface mounted chip that was difficult to replace without the proper tools.

ZEN
    The repair man is coming out to check on it. Is this something he'll be able to fix here or will it have to be taken away? Would have preferred if it was screwed 'cause then we'd get a brand new TV based on the price we paid 4 years ago :)

• Advertisement

Sorted. Repair man came and replaced a Transistor!! Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement