Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

next door's dog keeping me awake

Options
  • 10-05-2005 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

just bought a gaf, my next door neighbour's dog pretty much barks constantly.

was going until after 4 last night, maybe longer, i just passed out in the end.

i am completly shattererd and pissed off today.

right, next door neighbour's an old geezer, i'm gonna have a word tonight.

i'm not gonna loose it or anything, i just want to know does anyone know what the law is here, noise pollution etc... just incase he's a dickhead and doesn't listen to reason.

i'm gonna suggest, putting the dog in the house at night, or sticking a muzzle on him.

so if you have any usefull advice, i'd appriciate it.

i dont want it to turn into one of those neighbour from hell fiasco's, but i won't let this 5hit stand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

well I think first off, just mention it to him but like you said don't lose the head or anything just calmly ask can he bring his dog in at night etc etc. and see what he says to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I just had to give my own dog away last week because of this. We couldn't let him sleep inside either because he knew how to open the internal doors in the house. Anyway, as far as I know, you can call the County Council about it because it's noise pollution. They'll send someone out and might take a measurement of the noise level. As you said yourself though, you might be better off trying the diplomatic approach with your neighbour first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

or you could get a bigger, meaner and louder dog of your own, even better is if you borrowed it of a friends for a bit, then say you'll get rid of your dog if he gets rid of his, problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Yep definately try the calm diplomatic approach first, and if this guy won't see to common decency and sense. Then set the County Council on him as Despatch said!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Despatch wrote:
    I just had to give my own dog away last week because of this. We couldn't let him sleep inside either because he knew how to open the internal doors in the house. Anyway, as far as I know, you can call the County Council about it because it's noise pollution. They'll send someone out and might take a measurement of the noise level. As you said yourself though, you might be better off trying the diplomatic approach with your neighbour first.

You know you can get dog proof handles that go from | to - as opposed to - to |. not sure if that was explained well. but their normal state is straight up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i'll be diplomatic tonight, and if he doesn't play ball, i'll get on to the county council.

i'll prob give em a ring now to see where i stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Feed it sleeping tablets hidden in bits of meat..... :D

On a more serious note, be aware that you are not the only person with the problem, the dog probably keeps all your neighbour up at night. If you need back up in reporting the problem, it would do no harm to talk to them too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I'd talk to the neighbour you know the most first and ask them do they have a problem too. If you are just new to the area and start complaining about somebody who has been there a long time you might be right but come accross very baddly to everybody else.
    There are lots of solutions ranging from anti-bark collar to keeping the dog in.

Somebody complained about my dogs and I made a real effort and sorted it all out but when I moved the dogs started going crazy over church bells. I can't stop the bells so I can't stop the dogs when I am not there! I could complain about the church bells but I know that won't make me popular. Church bells by the way are not exempt from noise polution.

ye i'm new, but i still need to sleep. dog is right under my window, and i've single glazzing.

i think this complaint is completly warrented. i just hope he's reasonable.

anti bark coller, v interesting, to google with me!!
    I'd talk to the neighbour you know the most first and ask them do they have a problem too. If you are just new to the area and start complaining about somebody who has been there a long time you might be right but come accross very baddly to everybody else.
    There are lots of solutions ranging from anti-bark collar to keeping the dog in.

Somebody complained about my dogs and I made a real effort and sorted it all out but when I moved the dogs started going crazy over church bells. I can't stop the bells so I can't stop the dogs when I am not there! I could complain about the church bells but I know that won't make me popular. Church bells by the way are not exempt from noise polution.

i'd say the dog's pissed off from being cooped up. maybe i could offer to take him for a walk.

otherwise........

http://www.placervillevet.com/barking.htm

• Advertisement

paperclip wrote:
    ye i'm new, but i still need to sleep. dog is right under my window, and i've single glazzing.

i think this complaint is completly warrented. i just hope he's reasonable.

anti bark coller, v interesting, to google with me!!

It doesn't matter if you are right the other neighbours might think you are being unreasonable. If anybody has being doing something for a long time before a new person comes along and the new person complains I think you might really annoy people. The same goes the other way people will not rush over to complian if you are new and doing something people are not happy with. They will leave it a few weeks at the least. It really depends on how long you are there. If you have been there anything less than a month I would think you are unreasonable. It is also very easy to upset an old man if you complain about his only companion. You need to talk to him about it at some point not "complain".

have you even read my posts? i said i'd be diplomatic, maybe even offer to take the dog for a walk, i get the impression the dog is distressed, and rarely leaves the back garden.

i dont think this is unreasonable at all.

if i was playing loud music until the wee hours, i'd expect both neighbours to complain.

if other neighbours are willing to put up with it, thats up to them, maybe they've double glazing and don't hear it.

i'm not doing this to be an asshole.

i refuse to be kept awake in this manor, when it can be avoided, it's as simple as that.

It doesn't matter if you are right the other neighbours might think you are being unreasonable. If anybody has being doing something for a long time before a new person comes along and the new person complains I think you might really annoy people. The same goes the other way people will not rush over to complian if you are new and doing something people are not happy with. They will leave it a few weeks at the least. It really depends on how long you are there. If you have been there anything less than a month I would think you are unreasonable. It is also very easy to upset an old man if you complain about his only companion. You need to talk to him about it at some point not "complain".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Just maybe hold off on complaining until after the house-warming dude!

:)

paperclip wrote:

i dont think this is unreasonable at all.

i'm not doing this to be an asshole.

I know what you are saying and I understand. It doesn't matter if you think you are being reasonable other people might not think you are. It might only be symantics but your posts don't sound like you will be diplomatic.
    paperclip wrote:
    i refuse to be kept awake in this manor, when it can be avoided, it's as simple as that.

I haven't said anything harsh to you so dealing with an old man who might be a little upset I don't hold out much hope. I was giving you some friendly advise and you aren't being reasonable in return. You may have to put up with the dog a lot longer with that attitude and the other neighbours might dislike you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Buy an airgun and shoot the mutt everytime he barks, that'll learn him...

Paperclip - Another thing to consider is that this old man probably sees the dog as a form of security and would be reluctant to let him go if it came down to it. You could use that as a bargaining tool just by putting that thought in his head particularly if he has had the dog for a long time. He may be more likely to do something about the barking himself if he thought there was a chance of losing the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

I haven't said anything harsh to you so dealing with an old man who might be a little upset I don't hold out much hope. I was giving you some friendly advise and you aren't being reasonable in return. You may have to put up with the dog a lot longer with that attitude and the other neighbours might dislike you :p

the same way you've endeared yourself to your neighbours.... not my fault love, it's them bleedin church bells...
    maybe you should give away your own dogs a la the poster supra

there's nothing worse than a noisy dog.. the old git next door to you could be as deaf as a post and can't hear him... i wouldn't be too worried about taking away his only companion, if he liked the dog that much, he keep him indoors

landser wrote:
    the same way you've endeared yourself to your neighbours.... not my fault love, it's them bleedin church bells...
    maybe you should give away your own dogs a la the poster supra

there's nothing worse than a noisy dog.. the old git next door to you could be as deaf as a post and can't hear him... i wouldn't be too worried about taking away his only companion, if he liked the dog that much, he keep him indoors

The dogs bark while there is noise (bells) and then stop. It only happens when the wind blows a particular way too. The bells are the problem what are they for, people have clocks and watches now?

There are many things worse than a barking dog I don't even need to list them it's just an overblown statement. Just because somebody keeps their dog outside doesn't mean anything. Why not have some compasion just because he's old doesn't make him a git. People who can't empathize are deserving of that title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I know how annoying a dog barking all day and night next door is like,it's pure hell ! .

As for complaining to the local County Council ?... I tried that. A bloody waste of time.

I even complained to the local Environmental Health Officer's attached to the Health Board, and a thicker bunch of idiot's I have yet too meet.

So, at the moment I am considering taking a civil action in the local district court against the lot of them!, as in law afaik:- " I am entitled to the quiet peaceful un- interrupted enjoyment of my own home ".

All my complaint's were in writing, yet not one damn Civil servant is prepared to enforce the law ?.... :(

P.

Paddy20 wrote:
    I know how annoying a dog barking all day and night next door is like,it's pure hell ! .

As for complaining to the local County Council ?... I tried that. A bloody waste of time.

I even complained to the local Environmental Health Officer's attached to the Health Board, and a thicker bunch of idiot's I have yet too meet.

So, at the moment I am considering taking a civil action in the local district court against the lot of them!, as in law afaik:- " I am entitled to the quiet peaceful un- interrupted enjoyment of my own home ".

All my complaint's were in writing, yet not one damn Civil servant is prepared to enforce the law ?.... :(

P.

Have you tried contacting a local councilor or TD? They could help you get the ball rolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

The old man probaly hasnt the energy to walk it,So offering to walk the dog might resolve the problem and getting on his good side(And the dogs too) :D

Or maybe becuase your new and he is trying to suss you out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Unfortunately, I live in the backwood's of Donegal, and our local County Councillor's and T.D.'s are a bunch of ineffective lazy ignorant arse licker's, who would be served up as dogmeat if I had my way.

That may read as though it is a bit harsh, but I live in Ballybofey and have a lot of knowledge of our politician's as I ran the Citizen's Advice Bureaux for very many years, and we were a lot busier than any politician's clinic! :rolleyes: .

Thank's for the advice anyway Despatch :)

P.

N.B. Welcome to the real modern Ireland !...

Despatch wrote:
    you can call the County Council about it because it's noise pollution. They'll send someone out and might take a measurement of the noise level.

Thats bull!! My next door neighbors alarm was going off each night at 5am waking me up. I was in absolute bits going into work in the morning and Fingal County Council did absolutely nothing for me!
    Sometimes they don't even answer the phone! I was actually shocked!!

There is a dog in the house a few doors down, in the beginning i used to notice it barking - but now I'm used to it. Search for my thread in the Rec/Pets forum. There are 2-3 dogs in the houses surrounding my house, and at this stage I'll only wake maybe once a month becuase of it, which isn't too bad. I actually feel so sorry for those animals stuck in gardens all day and night - obviously frustrated.

For all you house owners out there with alarms and dogs, making noise at night. I know you can hear .. so stop being selfish and respect your neighbours a bit!! Bring your dog to lessons or something, find out what the issue is. And get your friggin alarms serviced before you go off leaving your house for weeks on end with an alarm going off. the rest of us have to live too.

And i am actually quite a give and take personality - but I understand completely what this guy is talking about.

bubby wrote:
    There is a dog in the house a few doors down, in the beginning i used to notice it barking - but now I'm used to it

i agree, but this dog is nearly under my window.

good point
    Just maybe hold off on complaining until after the house-warming dude!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Lol.....why is this in "Shop" forum? :confused:

Shouldn't it be in AF?

Anyway, I sympathise with your situation. But good suggestions so far, hope they work out for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,279 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i had a problem with 2 dogs little feckers. i was going to to talk to the owner but guess what,he drove over 1 of his own dogs,now that was a good day

I haven't said anything harsh to you so dealing with an old man who might be a little upset I don't hold out much hope. I was giving you some friendly advise and you aren't being reasonable in return

i'm not being reasonable?, i'm not sure how you came to this conclusion.

i've been kept awake because of a neighbours dog, and now i'm gonna have a word.......... what's unreasonable about that.

i understand i may be comming accross a little irate, maybe if you had to put up with this you'd see it in a different light.

you also seem to have created this poor helpless little old man, for all we know he's a bitter twised old todger.

myself, i'm gonna reseveve judgement until i talk to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You'll actually get used to it. We've dogs on both sides of us that have barking matches all night. (Some other dogs join in but they're far away so you don't really hear them). Had about a week of no sleep, but now it never bothers me.

Not that the little bastards don't deserve a few rounds from a pellet gun. Mmmm, gotta get me a pellet gun, give them something to bark about...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If worst comes to the worst why not just get some ear plugs..

The little yellow foam ones are about 60 cents in my local chemist and are washable so i just wair a different pair every night, had to start using them after a couple movied in the flat above me ..
    Well they are loud a lot of the time (talking loudly, stomping about, watching movies..and the other things young couples do..) and was seriously going nuts with lack of sleep..rent is a good price and am saving for a mortgage so had to find an alternative solution.

Honestly after a few nights its just fine..just set the alarm louder in the mornings ..for me its sweet revenge !!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement