Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

next door's dog keeping me awake

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

paperclip wrote:
    i agree, but this dog is nearly under my window.

Our houses are small - so may as well be under my window, especially when they all join in! I'd suggest earplugs for a few weeks. See how it goes.

I'm not here long either and understand the concerns raised here in that regard. As a new person in an estate there is lots to get used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

paperclip wrote:
    i'm not being reasonable?, i'm not sure how you came to this conclusion.

i've been kept awake because of a neighbours dog, and now i'm gonna have a word.......... what's unreasonable about that.

i understand i may be comming accross a little irate, maybe if you had to put up with this you'd see it in a different light.

you also seem to have created this poor helpless little old man, for all we know he's a bitter twised old todger.

myself, i'm gonna reseveve judgement until i talk to him.

I quoated where you came accross as unreasonable. You didn't say you were going to have a word you said you were going to "complain" not talk and that you "refuse" to to put up with this as opposed to try and come up with a solution. That does not sound like you are going to talk nice to this man. It could be symantics but it seems to be more.
    I don't assume this guy is nice as I have always said it "might" be his only companion and he "might" get upset. While others called him (including you)a "geezer" and "git" which are derogatory terms which means you haven't reserved judgement.
    Again you might think you are being reasonable but what you siad so far doesn't come accross as if you will be.
    It sounds like you want to do the right thing and suggesting walking the dog and waiting till you have a house warming are all suggestions you seem to have taken on board. Lack of sleep can really make people a little gruff so it's fair enough. Ear plugs are a really good idea for temporary relief as already mentioned. Get the re-usable ones as the wet ones feel horrible, ear plugs are great for airplane rides too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 onion-ring

:o I just got a dog (2 months now) and theres a pattern, if we don't walk her, she's wide awake all night.
    she's 99% of the time quite as a lamb but last night she was going balistic so I went down to her and there was a bloody hedgehog in the garden. So I locked her in the shed problem solved..
    I moved house years ago partly because of a dog across the road, I had rang the dog wardens and stuff, it was a waste of time.
    I did toy with the idea of poisoning the neighbours dog and to be honest if faced with the same situation again I would poison the dog rather than have me head recked all night.
    send him a note with no name,,
    ONE MORE NIGHT AND THE DOG GETS IT :cool:

your honour, i move for a recess
    I quoated where you came accross as unreasonable. You didn't say you were going to have a word you said you were going to "complain" not talk and that you "refuse" to to put up with this as opposed to try and come up with a solution. That does not sound like you are going to talk nice to this man. It could be symantics but it seems to be more.
    I don't assume this guy is nice as I have always said it "might" be his only companion and he "might" get upset. While others called him (including you)a "geezer" and "git" which are derogatory terms which means you haven't reserved judgement.
    Again you might think you are being reasonable but what you siad so far doesn't come accross as if you will be.
    It sounds like you want to do the right thing and suggesting walking the dog and waiting till you have a house warming are all suggestions you seem to have taken on board. Lack of sleep can really make people a little gruff so it's fair enough. Ear plugs are a really good idea for temporary relief as already mentioned. Get the re-usable ones as the wet ones feel horrible, ear plugs are great for airplane rides too.

dog finished up barking about midnight!

he wasn't there when i got home, so i'd say owner took him out for a walk.

i'll see how it goes, i'm sure he'll be kicking off again, i'll have a word after the housewarming.

[QUOTE=onion-ringif we don't walk her, she's wide awake all night[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

explain that it's keeping ypou awake all night and offer to get a mountain bike and offer to take the dog for a walk with that!

couple of miles pulling you along the street and it'll be as quiet as a lamb.

or, a nice bit of steak with chilli and a large dose of laxatives in it. then when (if ever) it's finished crapping and it still want's to bark, shoot it in the ring with a pellet gun and it'll shut up quick smart. :D

paperclip wrote:
    your honour, i move for a recess

Well more proof that you probably won't be able to talk sensible to the man in question.
    Realistically your only option is to have this man agree to do something about it. People have already commented here that the law won't be inforced so you better get it right.
    You are obviously not very good at thinking about consequences as has been proved by the fact you bought a house and never even bothered looking at the planning permission on your road. Instead you assumed something on what is probably the biggest purchase of you life. Your house may now end up in negative equity :eek:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=254609

Your next mission if you choose to accept it is to alienate yourself among the neighbours :rolleyes:

P.S.
    Anybody seriously suggesting killing the dog is an idiot.

what's your problem?

why are you under the impression that i'm going in all gun's blazzing?

Well more proof that you probably won't be able to talk sensible to the man in question.
    Realistically your only option is to have this man agree to do something about it. People have already commented here that the law won't be inforced so you better get it right.
    You are obviously not very good at thinking about consequences as has been proved by the fact you bought a house and never even bothered looking at the planning permission on your road. Instead you assumed something on what is probably the biggest purchase of you life. Your house may now end up in negative equity :eek:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=254609

Your next mission if you choose to accept it is to alienate yourself among the neighbours :rolleyes:

P.S.
    Anybody seriously suggesting killing the dog is an idiot.

paperclip wrote:
    what's your problem?

why are you under the impression that i'm going in all gun's blazzing?

I already explained why you don't sound reasonable( read it again) and your comments have suggested you won't be
    paperclip wrote:
    i refuse to be kept awake in this manor, when it can be avoided, it's as simple as that.

Not the words or a reasonable man

ye, this is the worst i've ever heard, it's like a machine, i really think the dog might be insane.

i hope i don't have to go to the council etc... i just hope he's reasonable.
    Paddy20 wrote:
    I know how annoying a dog barking all day and night next door is like,it's pure hell ! .

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Originally Posted by paperclip
    i refuse to be kept awake in this manor, when it can be avoided, it's as simple as that.

Yes.....Your a madman i tells ya!!!
    MS - what are yoiu on, seriously? the guy doesnt want to be kept awake all night by some hound thats being left out the yard by some doddery old neightbour. just cos hes not dressing his lingo in some "peace to all" pc lingo, doesnt mean hes storming around to the oul fellas gaff looking for fistis.
    ear plugs are great for airplane rides too
    Soda water, if gotten to the stain early enough will prevent the full impact of the stain taking hold on the garment. The fat cat jumps over the fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Paperclip,

Very interesting thread, I just came accross it while it was on teh "latest posts" at the front of borads.

Just IMHO If I had lived in a house for many years and new neighbours moved in I would be severely unimpressed if the first time I met that new neighbour they were at my door complaining about something no matter how reasonable it was from their point of view. I would not be inclined to be helpful or co-operative. In fact personally I would go out of my way to do teh opposite of what they wanted, but maybe that's just me......

My opinion is you need to plan to make two visits to your neighbour:
    1) A get-to-know-you mission. Drop in maybe with a gift, introduce yourself, find out a bit about the old guy, maybe there's something you can do for him, dont even mention the dog, (unless you can get a clear shot at him of course LOL)
    2) Next time you see him, explain about the dog thing and ask for his help in solving the problem

Presumeably you may be living there for many years to come, so IMHO, its worth taking the trouble to try and stay on reasonable terms with teh neighbours while at the same time seeing what can be done about the dog...

Not the words or a reasonable man

are you for real!

"i refuse to be kept awake in this manor"

you've obviously never been kept up all night by a dog barking, this pisses most people off, lack of sleep, they'll be a bit more ratty the next day, or maybe you have and you're a modern day saint.

so ye, i wasn't in the best of moods, if you read my full post, instead of a bit of selective reading you'll see the general jist was that i wanted to sort this out reasonably, but if he wasn't gonna play ball i'd like to know where i stand.

"i'm not gonna loose it or anything, i just want to know does anyone know what the law is here, noise pollution etc... just incase he's a dickhead and doesn't listen to reason"

good point

i'm there just over a month now, and i'm not planning on calling in, barking orders.

what you're saying makes sence, but you'd have a different perspective after a night of it.

i can't afford to walk around like a zombie, i'll wait another week or two, and have a word.

i dont wanna tip toe around the issue, and i will be reasonable.

i mean, if i moved in with a noisy dog, and after a month, my neighbour called in and said he can't get to sleep, and he was decent enough about it, i'm not gonna consider him my new enemy.

Paperclip,

Very interesting thread, I just came accross it while it was on teh "latest posts" at the front of borads.

Just IMHO If I had lived in a house for many years and new neighbours moved in I would be severely unimpressed if the first time I met that new neighbour they were at my door complaining about something no matter how reasonable it was from their point of view. I would not be inclined to be helpful or co-operative. In fact personally I would go out of my way to do teh opposite of what they wanted, but maybe that's just me......

My opinion is you need to plan to make two visits to your neighbour:
    1) A get-to-know-you mission. Drop in maybe with a gift, introduce yourself, find out a bit about the old guy, maybe there's something you can do for him, dont even mention the dog, (unless you can get a clear shot at him of course LOL)
    2) Next time you see him, explain about the dog thing and ask for his help in solving the problem

Presumeably you may be living there for many years to come, so IMHO, its worth taking the trouble to try and stay on reasonable terms with teh neighbours while at the same time seeing what can be done about the dog...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Im glad I dont live beside you!!! :D
    You mean to tell me that if your dog was being a neighbourhood nusiance and one of your neighbs called in (in a very civilised manner) and asked you to take care a problem originating from your house, you would be offended?
    I completly agree about helping in any way to slove the issue but to shy away till he happens to meet him...thats .....im lost for words.
    Why should he live in misery just because hes new in the area?

paperclip wrote:
    are you for real!

"i refuse to be kept awake in this manor"

you've obviously never been kept up all night by a dog barking, this pisses most people off, lack of sleep, they'll be a bit more ratty the next day, or maybe you have and you're a modern day saint.

so ye, i wasn't in the best of moods, if you read my full post, instead of a bit of selective reading you'll see the general jist was that i wanted to sort this out reasonably, but if he wasn't gonna play ball i'd like to know where i stand.

As I said read my posts I read yours I only quote that bits that prove a point to quote unlike newbie posters who quoates everything.. You used derogatory terms about the man because he is old. You couldn't even stay polite to me when I was giving you friendly advise and warning you no matter what you do could appear to be the bad guy. If you plan on living there you should see if everybody else is bothered and what they have done as per my original post. A refusal to do anything does not make somebody open to discussion. All those things don't sound like you are going to be polite to the man that has responsibility for your lack of sleep.
    I have been kept awake by a lot worse things than a dog barking by the way. You never fear the dog is going to actually break into the house and hurt you so you know there are a lot worse things than a barking dog keeping you awake.
    I hope you solve the problem and everybody is happy with the solution but if he is a the neighbourhood problem do you think you are going to solve it in a month? So either you are the problem or you won't get him to do anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

See Dept of Environment details on Noise Pollution including link to District Court complaint form.

So either you are the problem or you won't get him to do anything

Fat frogs dont eat ham on foggy days.

ok

As I said read my posts I read yours I only quote that bits that prove a point to quote unlike newbie posters who quoates everything.. You used derogatory terms about the man because he is old. You couldn't even stay polite to me when I was giving you friendly advise and warning you no matter what you do could appear to be the bad guy. If you plan on living there you should see if everybody else is bothered and what they have done as per my original post. A refusal to do anything does not make somebody open to discussion. All those things don't sound like you are going to be polite to the man that has responsibility for your lack of sleep.
    I have been kept awake by a lot worse things than a dog barking by the way. You never fear the dog is going to actually break into the house and hurt you so you know there are a lot worse things than a barking dog keeping you awake.
    I hope you solve the problem and everybody is happy with the solution but if he is a the neighbourhood problem do you think you are going to solve it in a month? So either you are the problem or you won't get him to do anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

Just shoot the dog, pay a fine and get it over with! Seems pretty simple to me!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭benny

I feel really sorry for you.we have 4 dogs,small but dogs none the less, one of them often barks at night....one of us gets out of bed........goes out to the garden and screems at him(so the neighbours hear) and tell him to go to bed! It usually works. TRY it, mabe the rest of the neighbours will wake up and they can shout at him too.then you can all have a party and forget about sleep..no really .shout at him!!! tell him!shut up and go to bed!

dog's still at it, i have been trying this method benny, works for about 5 min, then it starts again, then i hollar again, housemate thought someone was being murdered.

then i hear the back door open and he takes him in.

had to shout 4 times the other night before he got the finger out.

this guy knows his dog is a nuisance, and yet he waits for me to shout out my window at 2am to bring him in, that's bang out of order.

i went in the other night to have a word, no one there, then, 10.30, dog kicks off.

so i went around again, lighs on, he's in, but no answer.

i havent realy stressed how bad this barking is, there's other dogs in the neighbourhood that bark, they're prety normal, but this guy is somthing else, its like a tap dripping, there's no variation.

benny wrote:
    I feel really sorry for you.we have 4 dogs,small but dogs none the less, one of them often barks at night....one of us gets out of bed........goes out to the garden and screems at him(so the neighbours hear) and tell him to go to bed! It usually works. TRY it, mabe the rest of the neighbours will wake up and they can shout at him too.then you can all have a party and forget about sleep..no really .shout at him!!! tell him!shut up and go to bed!

I know we kind of disagreed on this but have you thought of actually buying an anti bark collar yourself and giving it to the man? It's less than €30 if I remember. You might need to talk to him becuase some are electric shock and others are spray based. THey do work and are not as cruel as they sound they learn within a day or two. We actually removed the better after a while as the dog understood it was when he had the collar on he shouldn't bark.

I know it shouldn't be your responsibility but if you want to solve the problem it might help

i haven't actualy talked to him yet, but will suggest a bark collar if he gets thick.

i'd rather not pay for it out of principal, but if i had to i'd get one.

I know we kind of disagreed on this but have you thought of actually buying an anti bark collar yourself and giving it to the man? It's less than €30 if I remember. You might need to talk to him becuase some are electric shock and others are spray based. THey do work and are not as cruel as they sound they learn within a day or two. We actually removed the better after a while as the dog understood it was when he had the collar on he shouldn't bark.

I know it shouldn't be your responsibility but if you want to solve the problem it might help

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.dublincity.ie/sitetools/faq/faq_environment_and_culture/dog_barking_complaint.asp
    My neighbour's dog barks night and day. Who deals with this? #5497

The Environmental and Culture Dept. can deal with this complaint under the Dog Control Act. Also the Dog Control Unit can be contacted on 2223375. Excessive barking causing a nuisance to any person is an offence. A private action may be taken to the District Court via section 108 of the Environmental Protection Act 1992

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

hopa...i'm joining the que !!!
    i have a "lovely" neighbour who has two dogs and he leaves the dogs outside,in the back garden every morning at 6:30-7am,when they leave for work,i pressume!then...the show is ON !

Is no point to talk to them !
    I wanna try one of this devices:
    http://www.williamson-labs.com/sdi.htm

Any one had experience or any ideeas about it,please !!

Thanks...

Advertisement