Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Assassination of Richard Nixon

• 10-05-2005 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

The Assassination of President Nixon.

Not much needs to be said about this film. Simply put it’s “quite good”
    One thing that seemed to occur to me midway trough it is, it seems to have taken allot from 'TAXI DRIVER'

It's still a very good film and worth the cash going to see it. The transformation of Penns character in it is quite something.

All in all I'd recommend it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Loretta.

i think it was more a homage to taxi driver rather than ripping it off. even Penn's character Samuel Bicke = Travis Bickle taxi driver?

but it was yet again another powerful performance from penn.
    that final shot still creeps me out.

glad i chose it over 'the interpreter'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Quite good, enjoyed it myself. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'Nixon' is a 1995 Oliver Stone movie and quite a different movie to 'The Assassination of Richard Nixon' so I've changed the thread title accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is a film well worth going to see and Sean Penn delivers a great performance in it, as his character gradually declines over the course of the film. The final scenes were quite good and a great change of direction from the most of the film.

Another best oscar nomination for Penn perhaps?

dudara wrote:
    Another best oscar nomination for Penn perhaps?
    Nope. The film got released in the US in 2004 (at the very end) so was eligible for last year. I think because of the 'Mystic River' win, they decided not to make him eligible for 2005. I thought he was very good in it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Funny that the film company didn't hold off on releasing it so that it would qualify for the next year. He's as good as anyone I've seen so far this year in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Kennington

Well it is a bit simular to Taxi Driver, but this is a true story, and i think Bicke was inspired by that film, but the filmmakers didnt go into that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ixoy wrote:
    Nope. The film got released in the US in 2004 (at the very end) so was eligible for last year.
    You sure? The rules at least used to state that to be Oscar eligible a movie had to play in two LA cinemas for two weeks in a particular year (it's why Casablanca won the oscar for 1943 (in 1944) even though it was released in November 1942) - it got released in the US on December 29. Rules may have changed though (and in any case people would have probably forgotten about the movie next time out)

Hmm you might be right Sceptre. I had thought it was one week but maybe it is elligible. Even if it is though, it's so close to the beginning of the year it will probably be overlooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Watched it last night and have to say was very impressed with it. Penn gave a truely fantastic performace as the struggling Bicke one of the best ive seen in a long time (bearing in mind I watched kingdom of heaven before it :-D) I can see why it can be compared to Taxi Driver very similar style of story line with a guy angry with the system for its injustices.

Well worth the watch and highly recommended.

• Advertisement
Advertisement