Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The most Impressive Stadium you have ever been in..?

• 10-05-2005 1:30pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have been in the Nou Camp it was a few years ago and it was only about half full but you could tell it was a magical ground.I have to say Croke park on match day would be hard to beat.

The most over rated ground I was in would be the old Wembley but the new one looks very good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I aint been in all that many but the Amsterdam Arena was pretty cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Oriel Park - you can't beat the atmosphere....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

for sheer sense of being overwhelmed walking into it this would take it my own photo

Croker is damn fine though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yokohama Stadium in Japan was pretty impressive but I cannot wait to see the first match in Croker, the atmosphere in there is magic :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Stade de France.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

It has to be Croker to be honest, have been in Old Wembley, Old Trafford, Hampden Park, Celtic Park but Croker is something else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The Showgrounds :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

was in a few myself and croker just about beats the stade de france.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

croker would be my favourite, however cardiff with the roof closed and a united liverpool final made the hairs stand up.

The camp nou was impressive but it was empty at the time, so i can't judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

mada999 wrote:
    Oriel Park - you can't beat the atmosphere....

It doesnt even have a playing surface

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

i've been in croke park and the san siro

the atmosphere in both is superb, especially in the curva sud (Forza Milan!)

i don't follow hurling (from kilkenny) so i've no real reason to love croke park, but i've been at a few football matches and they're always exciting, plus croke park looks more classier than the san siro...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Croke Park, Camp Nou, Old Trafford, Tolka Park, some other eircom League grounds that don't deserve a mention, Portadown's ground was pretty crap.

I'd have to say Croker was the best for atmosphere, but Old TRafford looked good too, crap atmosphere though, league game.

Tolka Park for the Reykjavik and Split games last summer was rocking, great atmosphere on both occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Been in OT,San Siro,Stamford Bridge,Croker but none come even close to the Olympic Stadium in Sydney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Bernabeau, Olympic Stadium, Milennium Stadium, St Marys (rather forget the result), St James, Carrow Road, Reebok Stadium.

Disappointments - Fratton Park, Goodison Park, Highbury, Selhurst Park.

Overall, the Bernabeau was fantastic to see Real Madrid vs Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think the occassion can make the stadium; The Stade de France was phenomenal in October (7 of us went to the France-Ireland qualfier), the atmosphere was electric.

Overall though Croker is the daddy!! I steward in there every week, and I've witnessed some matches that i thought would never be bettered. Dublin winning the All-Ireland in '95 (I'm biased!); I missed all the Tyrone/Armagh wins living abroad, Wexford beating Kilkenny in last years Leinster hurling match (Jacobs last minute goal)

More recently when Monaghan beat Meath with the last minute o.g. the roof nearly came off the place! Outstanding atmosphere, world class ground, and the most trouble there is is asking the punters not to smoke in the stand!! A credit to the GAA and the nation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Amsterdam Arena was pretty cool even if the seats on the second tier are to steep for drunken celebrations. I nearly set a new record for clearing rows of seats :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Here's a pic of the Reebok

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Croker definately. Was on Hill 16 for Cavan vs Kerry in 1997 and Tyrone vs Dublin in 95. The atmosphere was something else in both games. Have been there once or twice since it was fully done up and I have to say it really is one of the best in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hmmm toughy, have to be a toss up between croker and camp neu.
    For sheer atmosphere gonna go for croker tho, the clare killkenny match last year was unreal. was there for the double header with cork playing antrim, but sur we destroyed em so was no real excitment, except to see how good cork really were last year! Was also there before it was all done up for semi final between kilkenny and clare again, kilkenny won, will never forget the eruption of thr crowd about a half second after seeing Dj's goal fly in - incredible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Nou-camp is impressive but it was empty when i was there. San- Siro has to be the most impressive, for me.
    Also, Hajduk Split's stadium is stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Stade de France.

I concur!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Definatley haven't been there myself but I'd love to have been in the Azadi Stadium in Iran for the big game in 2001.

Stadium7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Rossonero wrote:
    Nou-camp is impressive but it was empty when i was there. San- Siro has to be the most impressive, for me.
    http://www.hnkhajduk.hr/fotos/stadion/stadion2.jpg

Just for the record... :D

Only ever really been in Tolka/Villa Park. Have to pick Tolka, any time I've been to see Villa, they've lost badly, and atmosphere's been shíte!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

i seen barca play depor a few seasons back in the nou camp and the atmosphere was phenomenol, it was a sell out and was unreal although the atmosphere at the Liverpool juve and Liverpool Chelsea European games this season made it pale into comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭shelsfan

Main stadia I've been in:

CROKE_PARK_NEW_STAND.jpg

1) Croke Park
    Been at many a game there, atmosphere is always good, fantastic capacity and can't wait for soccer games there.

s_prCelticPark_1.jpg

2) Celtic Park
    (Celtic -vs- Rangers & Celtic -vs- AC Milan)
    Well, Old Firm derby had brilliant atmosphere not so sure about other domestic games but AC match was good. Overall, brilliant atmosphere in a good stadium.

Amsterdam-Arena.jpg

3) Amsterdam Arena
    Was there for Holland -vs- Ireland friendly in the summer, great atmosphere as Ireland's away games usually have.

monagr3.jpg
    4) Stade Louis II - Monaco
    (Porto -vs- Valencia, UEFA Super Cup Final)
    Good atmosphere because it was UEFA Super Cup Final and was in with Porto fans. Felt happy for them as they were 'real' fans and deserved some success after so many years.

anfield.jpg
    5) Anfield
    (Liverpool -vs- Birmingham)
    Stadium isn't that impressive until it is full. Would've been a lot better on a European night.

Lansdowneroad300.jpg
    6) Lansdowne Road
    Been to about 30 games there and like the ground, Croke Park should be a lot better though. Was good for Shels -vs- Deportivo

TolkaPark.jpg

7) Tolka Park!
    (Plenty of Shels games)
    Atmosphere is always good in the New Stand but the rest isn't great, except for KR Reykjavik and Hajduk Split as seansouth said earlier.

ewood_park.jpg

8) Ewood Park
    (Blackburn -vs- Liverpool)
    Enjoyed it but looking back it wasn't exactly world class.. but it had a video screen which I thought was quite good.

885392-Ta_Qali_Stadium-Malta.jpg
    9) Ta'Qali Stadium - Malta
    (FC Valletta -vs- FC Haka)
    Saw Valletta playing FC Haka of Finland in a Champions' League Qualifier a few years back when on holiday in Malta.

By the way, I don't support Liverpool but have seen them play versus Birmingham (Anfield), Blackburn (Ewood Park) and Ireland (Lansdowne Road, Steve Staunton and Tony Cascarino testimonial)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

kensutz wrote:
    Overall, the Bernabeau was fantastic to see Real Madrid vs Valencia.
    Wow, you can't get a bad seat in the stadium can you?!

I've been to Anfield, the Nou Camp, the Olympic Stadium in Seville (UEFA Cup final) and Sparta Prague's stadium, whatever it's called. The most physcally impressive of them all was the Nou Camp, it has to be hands down one of the most impressive stadiums in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

shelsfan wrote:
    4) Stade Louis II
    (Monaco -vs- Valencia, UEFA Super Cup Final)
    Good atmosphere because it was UEFA Super Cup Final and was in with Porto fans. Felt happy for them as they were 'real' fans and deserved some success after so many years.

Good trick by Monaco to get into the Super Cup final and very admirable of the Porto fans you were sitting with to be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭shelsfan

Yeah! Sorry, I meant Porto -vs- Valencia, it was in Monaco!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Been in Old Trafford, Camp Nou, Olympic Stadion Munich and Croke Park and loathe as I am to say it :D , Croke park was the most impressive, but I might only be saying that as I was lucky enough on one occassion to have a seat in the Premium level and enjoy the GAA's Hospitality! So just on havign had a good look around these facilitie sI would have to say Croker with OT a close second just because..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I've been to Croke Park,Wembley,Old Trafford,Parc des Princs,Amsterdam Arena,Monac's Stade Louis II,Malaga's Estadio La Rosaleda and Sevilla's home ground ,The Ramon Sanchez.
    For sheer spectacle it has to be the Ramon;http://www.stadiumguide.com/ramonsanchez.htm
    Wembley was special as it has such a great history and is the best surface I have ever seen.
    Found the atmosphere in Croke Park lacking.
    All the grounds were nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

For sheer wow factor San Siro we were in the gods and **** me its a long way down.

Croker played in it when it was a kip but still huge, then last year at a Dubs game wow.

Old Trafford meh fans are crap, was in North Stand.
    Elland Road was in big stand meh fans were crap unless it was vs Utd.
    Parc de Princes place is a kip.
    Celtic Park wasnt fully built and i could see those flats ,fans were renting prawn sambos from Manutd.

Westfalden stadion (frankfurt) beat Munich 4-2 (munich were top Frank needed to win to avoid relegation) cracking atmosphere.

Fav ground for atmosphere is Tolka Park when Pats are good and take over the canal side, best games were vs Rovers when they had lots of fans ,best atmosphere i ever seen in any ground ever.

Kdjac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Croke Park is great, expecially when its all-ireland final day and you beat the cats! :)

However Nou Camp has to be the best! The atmosphere wasnt the best but then again it was against lowly seville and they beat them 4-0 ( was there when Ronaldo played with them)

Doesnt look like much from the outside but once you enter the Inner stadium...well it was the only time in my life something took my breath away...Stunning. Imagine it for a big game vs Real!

Havent been to many outside this country but been to a good few EL grounds( Tunners X , Dalymount and Tolka are the best here) and GAA grounds (Killarney, Pairc Ui Chaoimh, Semple etc)

Personally its hard to beat the atmosphere of a big hurling match especially a munster final in thurles! 55,000 mad fans screaming abuse at the ref, the players and each other during the game, then pints with the oppisition fans before and after the game.

A munster final in thurles has to be seen to be believed!

One of the highlights of my summer.

Thank **** for the GAA otherwise the summer would be meaningless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The RSC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Rossonero wrote:

I've heard from the people who went to the Shels match there that the atmosphere in the Hajduk stadium was easily and by some distance the best they've ever experienced, and this is from people who've been to the majority of the major stadiums in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Was at the Camp Nou, but not during a match unfortunately....
    During a match, it'd have to be Goodison(only match ive ever been to,other than the ol' Ireland matches in Lansdowne) Wasn't a good match at all(Everton v Villa) but when Rooney scored the place went mental, and as i was there with the school we were Everton fans for the day. I got stuck on the side next to a stranger, so i got the best celebration(a headlock from a scouser)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Out of the staduims I have watched football (as in Soccer) in, the most impressive was the Nou Camp although it was hard to see the players running around the pitch when we were pitched right at the top of the ground. The 30 minutes rendition of Willie Maley coming down the stairwell after the match was very impressive.

The most impressive atmosphere I have experienced was at Celtic Park when Celtic played Valencia in the UEFA Cup a few years ago. Ended 1 - 0 at the 90 minute mark (1 - 1) on aggregate. Extra time and then penalties. Celtic lost :( but the atmosphere was electrifying.

Croke Park is very impressive but soccer has not been played there yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Dailmer stadium Stuttgart i think thats it name, saw celtic play stuttgart feb 2003 lovely ground and great atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Like others i've been in the Camp Nou when there wasn't a match on, most impressive stadium i've been in during a match is probably the Camp de Mestalla in Valencia when they played Liverpool in the CL two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Croker is the best I've been in, if you think it lacks atmosphere you haven't been there on the right day.

I've been in Goodison loads, atmosphere ranges from electric to absent, and it's a bit old these days, one of the better in the prem, but not in top 5.

I was in Bordeaux's ground a few times, that was cool, though the seats were wierd.

oh and Tranmere's ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Kone wrote:
    I concur!

Am sorry lads.. But anyone who travelled to Paris for the France Vs Ireland match will tell you they never ever seen anything like it..

The stadium is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I agree the Stade de France is probably the best football stadium Ive ever been to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I am confused why so many of you think that Croke Park is good.

I see it as a stadium with only 3 sides and no floodlights (and yes I have been there)
    There really is little excuse why it wasn't built completely in the first place.

Granted the Premium Level is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Best spot is Tolka Park.

Croker needs to be finished badly btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

tolka is prob the best national league stadium.Going to the gilette stadium in boston on saturday to the revolution game against DC.Hopefully Adu will be playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Have to say that the Nou Camp or Camp Nou as they call it takes the cake followed closely by la Stade de Francais and Maybe then Old Trafford then probably Croker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Croker needs to be finished badly btw.
    It is finished. :) Just like Old Trafford, there will always be things added to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Stade de La Beaujoire, Nantes, France

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

1. San Siro
    2. Croker
    3. Breffni Park, Cavan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

Lansdowne for Spain 89 was a pretty special atmosphere. Azadi was also special.

Stade de France though for the whole package - great stadium and great atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement