Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Music Society

Options
  • 10-05-2005 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭

Kinda surprised there wasn't one here when I started last september.

What I thought might work would be a society for all rock\punk\metal\alternative music fans.

Events would be things like "Hey we're all gonna go see Cruachan next friday cos one of the committee members\anyone recommended them" then if nothings on try get nights out in dorans\fibbers etc goin

Then the usual coffee lunches etc.

Thoughts? would you join?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I'd join, don't know if I'd attend anything though, I'm pretty flaky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Kinda surprised there wasn't one here when I started last september.

What I thought might work would be a society for all rock\punk\metal\alternative music fans.

Events would be things like "Hey we're all gonna go see Cruachan next friday cos one of the committee members\anyone recommended them" then if nothings on try get nights out in dorans\fibbers etc goin

Then the usual coffee lunches etc.

Thoughts? would you join?

I have no doubt that it would be popular but a mixture of indie fans, rock fans, punk fans and metal fans would only cause conflict and division within society. There would be constant arguements amongst everyone. I even see on the music forums on here how OTT passionate people are about knocking bands. I honestly wouldn't be up for a society that would be full of metal fans going on about how f**king cool Metallica are man! dude! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I'd be up for it when I commence study in UCD in September!
    I'm into everything. Aside from hip hop and tradceol, I like Indie (pixies), metal and hard rock (qotsa, metallica, anthrax, foos, and so on...) britrock acts like blur, oasis, stoneroses, and punk that doesn't involve whining about not being able to score (ie old school clash, pistols stuff) I'm just after showing a limited taste for one of the genres, and I'm sure many others would too, so therefore you're best off letting each genre form its own society, imo.
    An idea would be for each of the four or so societies to run a battle of the bands, with the best two bands from each society going through to the all-uni final... What do you think?
    I'll get round to all this when I start in UCD, wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Just don't organise nights to Fibbers. Has been a shíthole for over a decade!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I'd be up for it as long as it's not like the rock/metal forum on boards.ie. "If it doesn't involve pointy guitars, it's not cool"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

There used to be an Alterntaive Music Society, disappeared due to poor financial management, general shambolocks and the music society pretending that they catered for contemporary music when they only put on one gig and then disappeared up their own holes with a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Seems like that's the way with most of the societies :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i already tried to set up 'rock soc' last september.

i got over 100 student signatures supporting the idea, set out a manifesto and a constitiution.

i gave all this into the SU but it was competely ignored and i got no reply whatsover.

that is when i lost faith in the SU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Doesn't take long to become jaded and cynical about everything in college, eh? :rolleyes:

Unless you actually happen to be in/involved with a society that actually does live up to its promise. But that's a million to one shot...

Someone tried to setup a good live music society, and did everything like Ferdi there did, but nothing came of that either. Swell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Moorsy

Sorry I'm not in UCD at the moment but if I'am I'll be doing arts and a **** load of playing/joining bands. One fo the reasons to go to college is to get contacts /friend are u trying to tell me seriously that there is'nt a music society in UCD??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

ferdi wrote:
    i already tried to set up 'rock soc' last september.

i got over 100 student signatures supporting the idea, set out a manifesto and a constitiution.

i gave all this into the SU but it was competely ignored and i got no reply whatsover.

that is when i lost faith in the SU.

You don't put forward your idea to the SU.
    That's probably why they didn't do anything.
    You put your proposal to the Societies Board with is completely seperate to the SU.
    Not sure of the contact details i'm afraid.
    Mr. Butler is the head of it afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

The problem with any kind of music society is that everyone's tastes are so individual. This would be the case even in a rock music society, and is probably why the music society doesn't get up to much.

besides, the name rocsoc is already taken ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

ghostchant wrote:
    The problem with any kind of music society is that everyone's tastes are so individual. This would be the case even in a rock music society, and is probably why the music society doesn't get up to much.

besides, the name rocsoc is already taken ;)
    yeah geology phucks!

RocKsoc then or RAWKSOC?
    Moorsey wrote:
    Sorry I'm not in UCD at the moment but if I'am I'll be doing arts and a **** load of playing/joining bands. One fo the reasons to go to college is to get contacts /friend are u trying to tell me seriously that there is'nt a music society in UCD??

Well I joined one but in the end all it turned out to be was one wine and popcorn reception.

When would be the latest you could apply id ya wanted it started for september?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

There's a wait of one year for recognition and funding because there used to be a good trick a few years ago of setting up a new society for something, getting a grant from the Societies office, spending the whole lot in the bar in the first week then not doing anything for the rest of the year.

The best thing you can do if you want to get a society started is to organise stuff unofficially first, like nights out, student club gigs etc. Gives you an opportunity to collect signatures too. Submit application to Richard Butler (in person, he never answers his phone) as soon as you can, and stay active while you wait. It's a long haul, but it can be worth it. There were at least two societies recognised this year, and a few faded away, so there's always space for new blood.

Ferdi: Get in touch with the societies office and resubmit your signatures. As pointed out, the SU have no powers to recognise or fund societies.

Einstürzende: Fibbers has always been a ****hole, that's the whole point of it ;)

Let me phrase it differently then, the people in Fibbers are essentially mini-rockers who moved out of home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

we need rugsD soc tbh :P

You don't put forward your idea to the SU.
    That's probably why they didn't do anything.
    You put your proposal to the Societies Board with is completely seperate to the SU.
    Not sure of the contact details i'm afraid.
    Mr. Butler is the head of it afaik.

Tayto2000 wrote:
    Ferdi: Get in touch with the societies office and resubmit your signatures. As pointed out, the SU have no powers to recognise or fund societies.

i contacted both the SU and societies office and submitted copies of my manifesto, constitution and signatures to both parties. i also sent several emails to both parties informing them of my planes with detailed accounts of my plans.

i was completely ignored by both bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

I'm just finishing 2nd Commerce and I'd be well up for joining this if you get it going. I joined the music soc this year and was shocked by the sheer non doing of anything ever!

There also WASN'T A UCD BATTLE OF THE BANDS THIS YEAR!!! I mean come on! How crummy is that? I know a couple of UCD bands and am in one myself so Ferdi if I can help let me know but I'll be in final year so can't give you as much of my time as I would like

CoNoR

i got a call from the Societies recognition committee yesterday, they gave me an appointment for wednesday so that they can review my application with me there and possibly get society status for ROCK SOC!!!!!!!!!

anyone who would be willing to set up this society let me know, i am unable to set this society up as i dont know if i will be in ucd next year!!

i have done all the hard ground work, all i need is a few of you guys to take over from here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

That's brilliant Ferdi!

Hope there's someone in 2nd year or something who can take charge. I'm tied up with final year commerce but like I said, I can give some help with bands.

Advertisement