Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 toll - Lets stand up and be counted

Options
  • 10-05-2005 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Those bloody people who own the M50 toll bridge are getting too much money from us. So here is what I think we should do. Every Monday for the next three weeks feel free to use the M50 but make sure that no one crosses the toll bridge.

I reckon that it would be a radical statement that we, the public, are sick of being ripped off and are not going to take it any longer. I am not sure exactly how much money they take in per day but you can bet that they would feel the pinch if they had to go three days of the month without a single penny coming in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

Those bloody people who own the M50 toll bridge are getting too much money from us. So here is what I think we should do. Every Monday for the next three weeks feel free to use the M50 but make sure that no one crosses the toll bridge.

I reckon that it would be a radical statement that we, the public, are sick of being ripped off and are not going to take it any longer. I am not sure exactly how much money they take in per day but you can bet that they would feel the pinch if they had to go three days of the month without a single penny coming in.
    are you suggesting a blockade?
    you wouldnt last 5 minutes mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Just The One

Chalk wrote:
    are you suggesting a blockade?
    you wouldnt last 5 minutes mate

nope.... not a blockade. That would suggest breaking the law.
    Just M50 avoidance. Just don't use it on those days... no one can stop you from doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Great Idea - but instead of mondays - I'm not gonna use it on Sat + sunday (unless of course I decided to go to liffey valley or blanch shopping .. oh and dundrum)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

and how is the blanch and lucan intechanges going to cope with the flow of traffic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Why don't you just not use the Toll bridge all the time since you are sooo against it. Most of the people I know choose to use it as it saves time etc. If they're not in a rush they'll go around "The Long Way"

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

Those bloody people who own the M50 toll bridge are getting too much money from us.

They can only make money from you if you choose to go over it, as has been said. It's not like it's compulsory.
    If you don't want to give them your money, then don't. Go the other way.
    It's not rocket science.

I don't mind giving them my money, but I remember the days before it was there so that marks me out as a bit of an old codger, I suppose. and all of us old codgers are loaded!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

and all of us old codgers are loaded!

thats cos yous bought all the houses before i had the chance to....
    when i decide to buy a house ill only buy it on a wednesday.
    that'll show you and "the man"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Was driving to Luxembourg from Switzerland the other day and the exit to Lux wsa closed off, meaning we had to go round by the French motorway. Twelve fúcking euros for less than 100 km. Anyone want to boycott France with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

The M50 is a ripoff alright, but it's another case of the 'man' holding the normal people to ransom. If there was another westlink bridge right beside it that was charging competitive rates then it would be more fair. Competition etc.

Your idea is a noble one, but to do something like that you would be more advised to go more mass media than boards.ie. Maybe with the help of a political party or a union for example. That way, you can use their logistical experience to get the message across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

don't know if the op knows this or not. But. There are now plans to extend the m50 to 3 lanes on both sides. Guess what?

There's gonna be another toll to pay for it:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

I thought thats what the increase last january was for?? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Was driving to Luxembourg from Switzerland the other day and the exit to Lux wsa closed off, meaning we had to go round by the French motorway. Twelve fúcking euros for less than 100 km. Anyone want to boycott France with me?

And you're complaining? The stretch of road the M50 toll covers is 3.2 km. Thats €0.56 + per km. Make your 100km trip at that rate and it would have cost you over €50.

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

They make about 300,000 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

the toll is one thing. Queing up for the privlidge of giving them your money is what really pi$$es me off.

I try to take the stawberry beds road whenever I can, usualy giving the 1 finger solute to the bridge as I pass under.

the funniest thing was getting a call from IBB when I was sitting in traffic before the booth. They were checking in to see if I was interested in goin ahead with my order. So I told them outright.....

ME:
    "im sitting here, in traffic waiting to give you my money while im loosing money waiting! I should get free broadband for the time this bridge has cost me! No, I will not be using IBB. Thank you"

nice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

hey how do u use the strawbery beds road, how do i take that one if taking the N4 exit before the toll?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

In other countries once there is so much traffic on the road they open the toll booths and let you drive through until traffic is reduced. God bless our privatisation

lomb wrote:
    hey how do u use the strawbery beds road, how do i take that one if taking the N4 exit before the toll?

get off at lucan exit (or red cow if traffic is REALLY bad)

right at the top of the bridge, heading into lucan.

take a left at the T- Junction

Follow this road down until you see a Y junction. Take the right fork, it will go downhill.

you should come across one of those pathetic painted roundabout things, take the 2nd exit (effectively going right)

over the bridge, take a right.

presto, your on the strawberry beds :)

You can take it to blanch\castleknock or to Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

get off at lucan exit (or red cow if traffic is REALLY bad)

right at the top of the bridge, heading into lucan.

is that the road then where u pass that closed 'amusement park'? the road i take to avoid the toll is taking the exit b4 the toll on the south m50, thats the lucan or city centre exit. i go left heading toward lucan and liffey valley and continue till i pass the pub, take the exit off to wards lucan right, over the bridge, then left at the end, first right to the y fork, thru a village, over a painted rountabout turning right, over the bridge, and right, then first very sharp left heading up a hill towards clonsilla and passing the amusement park and then luttrellstown castle. is that the same route u are talking about? :)

lomb wrote:
    is that the road then where u pass that closed 'amusement park'? the road i take to avoid the toll is taking the exit b4 the toll on the south m50, thats the lucan or city centre exit. i go left heading toward lucan and liffey valley and continue till i pass the pub, take the exit off to wards lucan right, over the bridge, then left at the end, first right to the y fork, thru a village, over a painted rountabout turning right, over the bridge, and right, then first very sharp left heading up a hill towards clonsilla and passing the amusement park and then luttrellstown castle. is that the same route u are talking about? :)

yup! I am usually goin to finglas, so i cut through the park, but thats it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

ehh, i just use easypass lane

ohh, :rolleyes: .................i don't have easypass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

DubTony wrote:
    And you're complaining? The stretch of road the M50 toll covers is 3.2 km. Thats €0.56 + per km. Make your 100km trip at that rate and it would have cost you over €50.

Tony

I thought the agreement between Dublin county council (as it was in 1987-89) and the NTR was that NTR would maintain the rest of the motorway. Yes, NTR only built the road between the N4 (Dublin -Sligo road) and the N3 (Dublin Ballyshannon road or Dublin Cavan as some call it because it crosses into the UK between Cavan and Ballyshannon) but they have to maintain the whole stretch of road.
    According to urban myths the cute beggars got the contractors who were building the road on behalf of dublin county council to put down the best of asphalt, and therefore it's expected lifespan would be massive. Put it this way, it's down since 1987 and very few pot-holes.

Also according to urban myths they also insisted on the lanes being a certain width to avoid longitudinal rutting, that's where a lot of traffic travelling on the very same line cause a long depression in the tar macadam. If the lane is wide, there is less probability of traffic travelling on the very same line, hence less depressions in the tar macadam.
    The net effect is a road that was expensive to built but will last longer than most built in that period.Who would have thought the people with vested interest in NTR worked for Roadstone?

Advertisement