Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Driving Test Questions

Options
  • 10-05-2005 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Since February, it seems this new component has been added to the Driving Test:

Licence Categories B (Car), EB (Car with Trailer) and W (Work Vehicle)

Technical Checks.
    You will be asked to explain how a check would be performed on any three of the following-
    (a) tyres, (b) lights, (c) reflectors, (d) indicators, (e) engine oil, (f) coolant,
    (g) windscreen washer fluid, (h) steering, (i) brakes, (j) horn.

Access to some of the items listed above will require you to open the bonnet and to close it securely.

How would you go about testing all of these, especially: steering, coolant, reflectors and tyres. I've got my test on Friday and I' appreciate it if someone could tip me off!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Steering" refers to ensuring that your power steering fluid under the bonnet is at a correct level. Find the steering fluid container in your handbook, make a note of the max and min markings. If you don't have power steering, this doesn't apply to you.

Coolant: As above.

Reflectors: Checking a reflector means ensuring that they're clean, and not cracked/broken in two. You "test" a reflector by shining a torch on it to ensure it reflects.

Tyres: Inspect for any cracks or bumps along the tyre. Inspect for stones, and other debris caught in the tread, and for nails that may be embedded in the tyre. Minimum tread depth is 1.6mm, there should be a minimum tread marking on the tyre which will tell you when the tyre is worn down. You also need to ensure that your tyres are correctly inflated as is specified in your manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Indicators - Get someone else to look while you turn them on and off or park in front of a reflective surface (shop window) and check yourself.

M

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mathie wrote:
    Indicators - Get someone else to look while you turn them on and off or park in front of a reflective surface (shop window) and check yourself.

M
    If an indicator bulb is gone then it should blink/make click noise more quickly for that side. If this happens then get off your arse and look yourself around the car. No need for someone else to walk around for you!
    However, brake lights may require assistance or a reflective surface!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You should be able to check your indicators on your own...turn on right indicator, walk around car, turn on left indicator....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

kbannon wrote:
    If an indicator bulb is gone then it should blink/make click noise more quickly for that side. If this happens then get off your arse and look yourself around the car. No need for someone else to walk around for you!
    However, brake lights may require assistance or a reflective surface!

Sorry I meant brake lights.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

two notes

steering (they mean power steering)
    air conditioning
    fog lights

if your car doesn't have these just say so, and you are asked to show something else

for fog lights if you don't have then you are supposed to show your lowest level of normal lights instead, that is dips/sidelights* be sure to say you don't have fog lights or else the tester will mark you down (mentally) as an idiot for calling your normal lights fog lights

*what is the difference between "dips" and "sidelamps"
    what is the order

(Foglights) > Sidelamps > Dips > Headlights
    sidelamps and dips are the same thing? or they come on together?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

vector wrote:
    for fog lights if you don't have then you are supposed to show your lowest level of normal lights instead, that is dips/sidelights* be sure to say you don't have fog lights or else the tester will mark you down (mentally) as an idiot for calling your normal lights fog lights
    I would be surprised if they showed much interest in fogs except to ensure they are all off!
    vector wrote:
    *what is the difference between "dips" and "sidelamps"
    what is the order

(Foglights) > Sidelamps > Dips > Headlights
    sidelamps and dips are the same thing? or they come on together?
    sidelamps are usually on the first turn of the lightswitch (and sometimes used during daylight or dusk but not powerful enough for night-time driving), followed by dip beams (used whilst driving in traffic or urban areas at night for e.g.) and full beam (used when there is nobody at all in front of you and you are out of an urban area).
    Foglights are usually on a separate circuit and should only be on during fog (lets not start an anti-foglight thread again!!!). Front fog lights are not compulsory items and presumably not subject to testing here but I maybe wong. Anyway in terms of the order as you ask (I presume you mean turning the lights on) fog lights are on a different switch from the main lights and shouldn't be on generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

kbannon, thanks that makes sense

>Front fog lights are not compulsory items

correct, but the tester can still ask, sure he can ask about power steering /air conditioning (insofar as it is used for demisting)

Advertisement