Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M1 Motorway aka Mental One

Options
  • 10-05-2005 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭

I drive nearly everyday on the M1 to work and back about 100 Mile Round Trip.

Now there are a few people here, who also do this route and have daily incidents or just get more put off driving.

This is not a generalisation and is fact:

Why do Yellow Plate drivers i.e Northern and UK Reg Veichles think they can bully people, drive a outrageous speeds and generally have a low standard of driving.

These people not all but I would say 80% and all ages flout the law and get away with it... I want to get to work as most of us do in one piece with minimal hassle but my blood pressure is at breaking point.

Example:

I am in the Normal Lane, a slower moving vehicle in front is slowing me down and I over take say at 120KM/H but when I am doing this correctly looking in my mirrors indicating (which they generally don't do) I get a gob****e up me arse flashing lights and trying to intimidate me (WHY) as I am going to pull in when all clear, this happens 8 out of 10 times and primarily by these people.

Yes we have our fair share of goons but they take the piss, is there not something can be done about them.As to be honest I would take the train but cannot because of works location.

And before we get any smart comments from those people let me say this, do you value your life and what is in your mind to get by, does road safety and common courtesy to your fellow drivers ever dawn.

If I was in the Cops or in power a zero tolerance policy to all would be applied, and those who cannot get penalty points should get enourmous fines to stop them in lieu for the points.

To many people have died on that road for morons who think they are above the law....

Comments please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Most people from Northern Ireland know they won't be prosecuted or even pulled over for driving above the speed limits in the Republic of Ireland. The sooner that europe wide penalty points is brought in the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

would have to say that if you had checked you mirrors properly you would have seen this person travelling faster than you and would not have pulled into their path.

Seems to me like you obstructed the other persons path

Would you pull out into the path of an oncoming car in a single carriage way? Same thing. You didn't have time to complete the manouvre safely so you shouldn't have attempted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

That could be a long way off :(

comanche wrote:
    would have to say that if you had checked you mirrors properly you would have seen this person travelling faster than you and would not have pulled into their path.

Seems to me like you obstructed the other persons path

Would you pull out into the path of an oncoming car in a single carriage way? Same thing. You didn't have time to complete the manouvre safely so you shouldn't have attempted it.

Believe me I am not obstructing there path, I check and they are few hundred metres behind me and suddenly speed up I have been driving for 12 Years and am a very safe driver...

In a nutshell they are morons who want a piece of road they will never own...

And what ever happened to their indicators or do they not come as standard on Northern Cars !

woody wrote:
    Believe me I am not obstructing there path, I check and they are few hundred metres behind me and suddenly speed up I have been driving for 12 Years and am a very safe driver...

In a nutshell they are morons who want a piece of road they will never own...

And what ever happened to their indicators or do they not come as standard on Northern Cars !

Yes but they don't just arrive on your tail pipe out of no where? They hardly see you and then decide to put the foot down! :)

Best to let someone who is travelling faster than you pass and then follow..

as for indicator ... its probabaly red shift seeing as they are travelling so fast! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I agree with woody, a vast majority of yellow reg cars are at this, and quite a few irish republic. cars also.
    It is very frustrating to be using the 'OVERTAKING' lane properly, at the 'MAXIMUM' speed and have some phucking arsshole flash and generally act the lunatic. (sometimes i feel like hammering on the brakes, but then i rise above it)
    It is a blatant disregard for others safety, comfort and Irish law. If they were pulled and brought to the station for the maximum permissable time, that would put them in their place.

**Disclaimer - There are also a good few yellow reg drivers who are very careful and corteous on the roads, i do feel this point should be acknowledged **

I agree will all points prospect

comanche wrote:
    Yes but they don't just arrive on your tail pipe out of no where? They hardly see you and then decide to put the foot down! :)

as for indicator ... its probabaly red shift seeing as they are travelling so fast! :)

Believe me I am not alone, most people in work here experience,"he has gone into the fast lane, I will tailgate him syndrome" is the bloody dangerous, you would'nt want to loose your nerve to easily with that kinda thing happening.

As I said I want to get to and from work with minimal hassle but this is taking the P1ss and where the hell are the Traffic Cops when you need them, I understand they can't be everywhere but one car could make a fortune in revenue and save lifes by showing a presence

Also is there any Northern Drivers here on boards that want to comment on this ???

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

woody wrote:
    I am in the Normal Lane, a slower moving vehicle in front is slowing me down and I over take say at 120KM/H but when I am doing this correctly looking in my mirrors indicating (which they generally don't do) I get a gob****e up me arse flashing lights

You're not doing anything wrong there, woody, except:
    woody wrote:
    I check and they are few hundred metres behind me

You not only need to check the distance, but also the speed of the cars behind you. Only the combination of the two will give you an idea of how much time you have to complete the manouvre

Then again if you are doing 120km/h overtaking a car that is doing 100km/h, you'll find the earliest safe gap to move back into the normal lane and you originally moved into the overtaking lane several hunderd meters in front of the car behind you, they are an ar$ehole for flashing tbh

It is a good idea to estimate speed as well though - essential when driving among people doing serious speeds (continent) illegally or not

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Good point Woody, but i have to say that there are enough ROI gobsh1tes that use the M1 as well. As a daily user it frustrates me to see people meandering in the out side lane while the inside lane is free for 300-400 metres.

While prospect has a point about people flashing him from behind, i for one don't see the logic in staying in the outside lane 'just' to stick to 120km/h. I will openly admit that i like to drive fast, but regardless of how fast i go, if the inside lane is free, i'll be in it. When i first started to drive i had the idea that if i was going at the speed limit, then i could travel in what ever lane i liked and that i shouldn't have to move, but reality kicked in sometime after. You have to accept that some people are going to break the speed limit regardless, and i for one will quickly move out of the way if i see them coming. It is possible if you pay atention to your mirrors.

As a sidenote, although you might class me as one of those fast drivers coming up from behind, I would never go up someones arse and start flashing.

Have found driving in the north to be a quiet enjoyable experience. have also found driver from the north to understand and practise lane discipline quiet well.

Remember one occassion having to drive from Newry to Dublin in a hurry. It tended to be ROI drivers on the M1 who impeded my progress. NI drivers got out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

likewise I do about a 100 mile round trip on the M1 daily and it is a huge problem.

'They hardly see you and then decide to put the foot down!'

actually this is quite often the case.

I now drive on the M1 and change my driving style to suit cars around me, ie.

.. I will expect the unexpected from northern reg cars regardless of them being a S500 merc or a 1L Micra, I expect them to 'own' the road and not to give way, overtake on the inside, on the hard shoulder etc.

.. I will expect 3 series bmw's to charge down the overtaking lane as if there is nothing in their way and that the driving lane is an insult to their 3 series.

.. I expect northern reg HGV's to somehow get beyond the limited 55mph and over take at a speed of about 65mph, taking an age to get by and hold up the traffic in both lanes.

.. I expect both lanes to slow to a halt at the very impressive site of someone changing a tyre on the hard shoulder, just incase they miss something.

All in all, the M1 is a dangerous road to travel, I stand the risk of generalising, but I would prefer to be accused of generalising than be accused of being naive and another statstic on the road.

On average I would estimate that I see two or three police cars on the M1 a week and only once have I seen someone pulled over.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

comanche wrote:

Your driving along, in the "slow" lane, and you come up behind a slow truck. You look in your sideview mirror, and you see someone about 10 car spaces behind you, so you decide to see if they passes. They don't, as they're barely, if even, driving faster than you. So you indicate right, you pull out into the "fast" lane, and low and behold, f*cktard comes speeding up your backside flashing their lights. So you pass the slow truck, and go back into the "slow" lane.

And here's the kicker. Here's how you know they're a f*cktard. They don't speed past you. Oh no, they barely overtake you, and amble along, about 5 miles per hour faster than you. If they were in a hurry, and the car that I was in was blocking them, surely they'd speed up, and overtake?

unkel wrote:
    You're not doing anything wrong there, woody, except:

You not only need to check the distance, but also the speed of the cars behind you. Only the combination of the two will give you an idea of how much time you have to complete the manouvre

Then again if you are doing 120km/h overtaking a car that is doing 100km/h, you'll find the earliest safe gap to move back into the normal lane and you originally moved into the overtaking lane several hunderd meters in front of the car behind you, they are an ar$ehole for flashing tbh

It is a good idea to estimate speed as well though - essential when driving among people doing serious speeds (continent) illegally or not

Yes Unkel I do take into account their speed but it seems not all the time although someone decides to drop the hammer as soon as someone invades the overtaking lane....

I understand in some circumstances the speed limit will be broken but going at 80+ MPH is maniac...

As for the HGV's an the 55MPH well it is rare to see them adhering to that..

I drive in the North also primarily in Soth Down and Armagh and they are just as mental there as the cops/ army :D dont go out to enforce the law as much as they would like, I have only once in the last 2 years seen a PSNI Speed Cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

The yellow regs have been a problem in the south and it was worse IMO when it was the N1, in saying that when the white regs go over the border we are guilty of the same thing tbh I have seen a lot of southern loons up north too

woody wrote:
    I understand in some circumstances the speed limit will be broken but going at 80+ MPH is maniac...

Um speed limit is 120kpm on motor way, which is around 75mph. So I hardly think that 80mph is maniac speed. Infairness I'd be very surprised if you were pulled over by the gardai for doing 80mph on the motorway.

Simple fact is same over taking rules apply for the motor way as on single carriageways.

If someone is driving like a prat best to get out of their way smug in the knowledge that they are prats and not let it get to you.

but I do think that anybody who notices cars are appearing out of no where on their tailpipes needs to look at their driving style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

delly wrote:
    While prospect has a point about people flashing him from behind, i for one don't see the logic in staying in the outside lane

Good point delly, I should have been a bit clearer there, I move to the overtaking lane to over take, and then back to the inside lane, even if travelling at the maximum speed.

I travelled down the M7 recently with the cruise control set at a steady 120 KM/h. I moved to the overtaking lane to overtake a car, and back in when i had passed. This happened with many cars along the motorway. Meanwhile a guy in an old style A4 was travelling along at about 125KM/h in the outside lane constantly. He was gradually catching up on me, watching me move out to overtake, and back in when I was past the slower cars.
    Eventually he caught up on me, and as he passed me, he looks in and shakes his head at me as if i was doing something wrong :eek:

Some people just don't know the rules of the road, or have absoloutly no respect for them...

comanche wrote:
    Um speed limit is 120kpm on motor way, which is around 75mph. So I hardly think that 80mph is maniac speed. Infairness I'd be very surprised if you were pulled over by the gardai for doing 80mph on the motorway.

Simple fact is same over taking rules apply for the motor way as on single carriageways.

If someone is driving like a prat best to get out of their way smug in the knowledge that they are prats and not let it get to you.

but I do think that anybody who notices cars are appearing out of no where on their tailpipes needs to look at their driving style.

Okay I take it back on the 80 MPH bit but that is the minimum speed some of these drivers think.

Did they ever think about there full consumption either.;)

Well my General Speed would be between 50 and 60 MPH, why?? to conserve fuel aswell as anything else

• Advertisement

woody wrote:
    Well my General Speed would be between 50 and 60 MPH, why?? to conserve fuel aswell as anything else

Do you mind if I ask what you are driving that is suck up the oil reserves of Alasaka as well killing a few endagared species to boot?

If you are worried about the enviroment then I suggest the bus, train or car pooling and travelling at a safe speed on the motorway before you become an endagered species yourself?

A Skoda Fabia 1.2 :D

I commute and use a toll plaza hence what to get value for money.

I get 400 Miles to the tank !

woody wrote:
    A Skoda Fabia 1.2 :D

I commute and use a toll plaza hence what to get value for money.

I get 400 Miles to the tank !

Doesn't sound like the best fuel economy for a 1.2. Was looking at my own car the other day (1.4). And at around (gonna stick to imperial for this) 75mph I was getting 42mpg. Tank holds 13 gallons so that would be over the 500 mile mark. Would reckon that a 1.6 (or even larger) would give better economy for motorway driving.

So get a bigger car, travel faster, get your own back on the NI drivers and save money. Its win win! :)

To be honest I consider driving not keeping up with the pace of traffic (provideded you are comfortable with it) to be as dangerous to other drivers as speeding.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There are a lot of generalisations being said here about drivers from NI.
    RoI drivers tend to be as bad when they cross the border [myself included]. Irish drivers are crap by and large. They are better North of the border and tend to be more polite. Furthermore, RoI drivers were as bad until points came in and now most of them are afraid of farting!

@ Woody - your "general speed tends to be about 50-60mph"?. I hope you are not referring to motorway driving here. How can you manage to overtake a car ("at 120kmph") and then slow back down to your general speed

As for their thoughts on fuel consumption - they pay less down here so maybe they think its Christmas!

I have driven the N1 & M1 countless times [responsibly] and have never been flashed at. I have only had one bad experience which was over Easter and that was done by a Meath reg car (who decided to tailgate me for several miles, overtake at huge speed and disappear and then a while later re-appear behind me to tailgate me again. I was doing 120kmph as I thought they were gardai initially)!

Oh and by the way, we are now using kmph not mph!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Praetorian wrote:
    Most people from Northern Ireland know they won't be prosecuted or even pulled over for driving above the speed limits in the Republic of Ireland. The sooner that europe wide penalty points is brought in the better.

Really, and because the penalty points system solved all our motoring problems here in ireland, surely it will be so much better across europe.... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Drive a 1.4 and get 680 km from a 52 litres fill up.

I'd say about 70% of those km's would be motorway at around the 140 km/h mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

'I have driven the N1 & M1 countless times [responsibly] and have never been flashed at'

I don't get 'flashed' at either on the M1, but that is due to me anticipating others agressive driving.

Well this morning I nearly got wiped out by a Dukes Transport Truck that decided to one go beyond the 55MPH Limit (whats that in KMPH :D ), he pulled in front of me on the slow lane no indication no nothing and nearly took the front on my car and I had to Jam on.

As for us up North yes I know it works both ways but alas they drive stupidly up there aswell...

Why all the agression, why can't people chill;)

delly wrote:
    Drive a 1.4 and get 680 km from a 52 litres fill up.

I'd say about 70% of those km's would be motorway at around the 140 km/h mark.

I was looking at a 1.4 Octavia, Big Car Big Boot and not to much else on tax insurance....mmmmmmmmm I love them cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

woody wrote:
    I was looking at a 1.4 Octavia, Big Car Big Boot and not to much else on tax insurance....mmmmmmmmm I love them cars

Off topic, but get the diesel... you'll get 1000k to the tank. (maybe 55/60ltrs)

Advertisement