Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M1 Motorway aka Mental One

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

I know but the smallest diesel in the vw or skoda range is 1.9 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Maybe you should sit down and work out your fuel costs on a petrol, then what it would be on a diesel.... the cost the difference in road tax... who knows you might actually save money going with the diesel.

All depends on how many miles you do.

About 30,000 Miles a Year

The petrol is getting dearer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm not a big motorway driver, maybe once every couple of months but if the number of stupid Irish drivers I see is anything to go by when I make my Kerry to Dub trip I can't see how NI drivers can be any worse.

On the same note I went to Spain for a week and was constantly on the motorway and it was one of the best driving experiences I ever had. Everyone seemed to know how to use it. On the otherhand the Spanish have a scary disregard for red lights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Everyone seemed to know how to use it

Amazing, innit? That's Europe for ya ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

On the same note I went to Spain for a week and was constantly on the motorway and it was one of the best driving experiences I ever had. Everyone seemed to know how to use it. On the otherhand the Spanish have a scary disregard for red lights :)
    Over here in austria it's quite good, although you do get quite a few who persist in driving in the middle lane of a 3 lane motorway despite there being noone in the inside lane. Then of course there's the big car drivers who hog the outside lane regardless of how many free lanes exist to their right!

On the topic of red lights, I was in Ireland last week and i'm pretty certain most people treat a red light as a sign to stop but only if they really want to. Buses, trucks, cars everyone. An amber going green might be good too but I suppose that could cause trouble seeing as most drive through in red :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭satanta99

Had one a my worst encounters wit one a**hole of a driver, while in a car, driven by someone else, across the county bounds from Cork to Kerry, during the weekend of the rally. At the worst, most winding part of the road, just after Ballyvorney, this 94 KY sunny insisted on drivin right up our rear! He was practically sitting in the boot! We were doin the limit, 100kph, which on this road seems a lot. He kept indicating to overtake, and den pulling back in. There was a countinuous white line for all this stretch of road, like it was fecking mental. The driver was forced to flash hazards for him to back off, he nearly blew us of the road, he'd pull back for a while and then tryed it again. So the there are definately crap and dangerous drivers all over the country, not just on the M1.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

all the real boy racers hiding from the cameras..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

woody wrote:
    I know but the smallest diesel in the vw or skoda range is 1.9 :(
    Thought there was a 1.4 diesel fabia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

people meandering in the out side lane while the inside lane is free for 300-400 metres

And the bloody rest. I followed a fiesta up the M1 doing about 110km for a few miles the other day. I refused to over take her on the inside lane as this is illegal. Eventually I flashed her and she immediatly pulled in. I overtook her and she than pulled onto the fast lane again??? This is a regular occurence on the M1, as is undertaking, tailgating, agressive driving etc. The best I've seen yet is a BMW overtaking a truck and car on the hard shoulder doing 120 km. :eek: Hardly a day goes by now that I don't have to take some kind of action to avoid some idiot who needs to get to where he's going much quicker than the rest of us. When's the last time you saw a garda car on the M1 other than perched on the ramps where people are expecting them to be?

Ok rant over now! :p

rant mode terminated successfully....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Macy wrote:
    And there's a 1.2l 3 cylinder diesel that's AFAIK only available in Germany in the so-called 3l Lupo (because it supposedly does 3l/100km)

Macy wrote:

There is ??

Let me look thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

unkel wrote:
    You're not doing anything wrong there, woody, except:

You not only need to check the distance, but also the speed of the cars behind you. Only the combination of the two will give you an idea of how much time you have to complete the manouvre

Unless they are travelling at a speech much much faster than the speed limit they're not going to make up a few hundred metres in the time it takes to do an overtaking manoevre. IF they were a few hundred metres as he said, they're not going to make up the distance if they are travelling at the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

yesterday evening I was heading north on the M1 just after the first drogheda exit, I was travelling at exactly 120kph as there was a garda 'traffic corp' car behind me, when a northern reg 5 series overtook us and travelling a good whack faster, probably about 160kph. I expect the 'traffic corp' to put on the lights and pull him in ... not at all, as if the beemer was invisible.

Either they don't care about speeding or the yellow reg have some sort of diplomatic immunity.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

whippet wrote:
    yesterday evening I was heading north on the M1 just after the first drogheda exit, I was travelling at exactly 120kph as there was a garda 'traffic corp' car behind me, when a northern reg 5 series overtook us and travelling a good whack faster, probably about 160kph. I expect the 'traffic corp' to put on the lights and pull him in ... not at all, as if the beemer was invisible.

Either they don't care about speeding or the yellow reg have some sort of diplomatic immunity.
    Saw a very similar thing between the swords and balbriggan exit, only this time it was an old 7 series BM with an irish reg. The cop car was an unmarked navy mondeo with big shiny alloys. He let the BM blast ahead while he stuck behind, but as soon as he hit a certain speed he stuck the blue lights on.

Advertisement