Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many mobile phones do you buy in one year

Options
  • 10-05-2005 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi just wanted to know how many mobile phones every one is buying in this country within one year

in one years time i have bought 5 phones :eek:

just was thinking and i think spent more than 1000 on phones

and thinking of changing my phone again
    :(

is that normal or is it just me :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Eeek! In the last 4 years I've bought 2!! Its just you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Considering my phone is about 5 years old, that works out at 0.2 phones/year! I'll replace it when it breaks, not a minute sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Last 5 years, I've gone through 11 phones, and a 3220 is being bought this weekend. I currently have 3 phones in my posession.

Not as bad as my mate tho: I may be buying 3220 (for feck all money really) while he buys all the crazy new ones are are only available sim free at €800 a piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Usually 2 a year. However, I've had my i-mate SP3 for over 6 months now, and I'm not changing any time soon. Best phone I've ever owned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Just one upgrade a year does me fine but I might not bother this time because I like the phone I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Dublin8

i am thinking about pda2k now
    its about 600 euros and has every thing

ate the moment i have samsung e800
    its kewl but i want wi-fi
    i know i am spending too much on mobiles

only way i satisfy my self is that i dont smoke so i save money there lol :D

every one has their own excuse :)

http://www.my-xda.com/xda2s.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I get an upgrade from o2 every year for next to nothing, the joys of being on a bill i suppose, but why do you feel the need to change phones all the time? Camera's real players, grps etc are all gimmicks, a phone is a phone ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Two in the last three years but I doubt I'll be changing again cause I like the phone I have at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

About once a year unless a good offer comes along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

2 in 5 years and I'm getting a new one soon. I use them till they fall apart and this one is pretty much dead and buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Dublin8

i think i need to change my habbits :(
    not a good line on which i am going at the moment

thaks for all the posts really helpful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

probably one every two years, I have my current one a year and a half, and the one before it I had for two years, afaic a phone is a phone, so long as it is able to ring ppl and send txt messages its fine with me, but in saying that I don't mean my next investment is gonna be a 3210 lol! atm I have a Sagem my-V-65

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

OK why are you buying so many phones? What do you do that requires you need more than 2 phones ( I understand 2 kind of)?

I have only bought one phone in 3 years and it still works fine.

Are you the person who buys ring tones and stupid frog animation???? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

About once a year. Due an upgrade this month with vodafone but there is nothing there I like :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Once a year, though last year I gave the upgrade to a friend so I've had the same phone for two years. Apparently, I get two upgrades a year but ideally I'd like them to give me one phone for free!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I just use the old vodaphone insurance to get a new phone every 13 months, just pay E5 per month and then say its not working anymore and you get a replacement one for E30.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I agree with the whole "a phone is a phone" argument, but when smartphones allow syncing of contacts, tasks, notes and meetings with your PC, you have a whole new level of usefulness for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Bluetooth and a high res colour screen have made my life better.

Phones do improve.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I bought a Nokia 6100 last year in Scotland and I still have it
    generally one every 1.5 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Normally upgrade every 1 and a half to 2 years!

More than suitable with a decent phone. Will never buy anything but Nokia, so will wait til they bring out something worth getting before retiring my nGage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D_Money5042000

I get a new phone Once a year. I have a 2-year contract with cingular and every two years when i sign a new contract i get a great on a phone. Like a Nokia 6230 for $100 but Sometimes i can't wait untill it's time to sign a new contract so i buy a new phone from ebay Like the nokia 6230 for $225. So now I'm trying to decide which phone to get next march when i get a new contract. maybe a series 60 phone or a n-serie phone or maybe just the nokia 6230i. who knows

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Next phone I'm looking at is the Nokia N91,
    going to be ages before its out but it appears to be amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

jaysus i feel like a freak i generally go through about 4-5 phones a year, but ive been very bad since christmas im on my sixth handset of the year and am in the process of buying a 6230i but i will kepp this one for at least a year or so i tell myself :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cabaal wrote:
    Next phone I'm looking at is the Nokia N91,
    going to be ages before its out but it appears to be amazing
    You're right, Cabaal!

It's very sweeeeet!!

Might be tempted to wait for that one myself... will be quite pricey though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

1 in three years (although I did win a nokia 3650 about 2 years ago and an N-gage last year). My next one will be the SE K750i. I usually use my nokia 8310, at this stage I want something fairly light and functional, the 3650 is a brick in comparison.

The only problem I see with the new Nokia N series is the weight. The N90 is 74g heavier than the K750i. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Had the following in the last 12 months...

T610, V800, P910i, 6230 7210, 7610, 7650, 6630 x 3 and something else that I cannot remember...

Currently using the 6630 but will be getting a new handset when the next generation of 3G handsets come about.. Something Symbian like the 6680 or one from the new N range..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

As bad as you Jesus, or worse!!!
    Cant even remember half of them. Would have to read through posts here of what I sold and bought.
    6630 twice....6670....6600....6100 3 times.....3310!!.....T630.....F500......XDA2...GX20...GX25 now and I'm sure I have missed plenty

Last year was insane for me:

Nokia 3510i (March) > Motorola V300 (July) (sold) > Motorola V600 (November) (ended up water damaged after a month!) > Motorola V550 (December) > Nokia 6630 (February).

Went back to the V550 due to lack of MP3 ringtones, bad battery life and no 3G coverage on the 6630.

I don't think I should buy another phone for a few years, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I went through 4 phones the last year, 2 of which a friend gave me. I think I can finally say that there is nothing else i really could ask from a phone that my current handset cant do apart from maby a tv tuner so cant imagine any reason why id bother upgrading for many years to come.

Advertisement