Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People 'keeping' seats in library

Options
  • 10-05-2005 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

is anyone else getting a tad irritated by how people are 'keeping' desks for their friends around exam time? a few photocopied sheets, with no bag, jacket, pens. etc, does not a 'kept' seat make. and yet you get looks if u move the sheets... :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

**** them tbh.

take the seat if there's nobody there. If they cba coming in in time to get one > tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Ya, it's bad form. You can see a couple of seats "taken" with a few sheets of paper and pass again an hour later and still no-one sitting there.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

thats true, i mean, its not like i wouldnt be able to fight a first year (its always them...) to the death over some photocopied sheets. its not like it hasnt happened before.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

That sh1t has been happening there for years.

Is there still the problem of all the school kids (wannabe UL heads) coming in taking up limited seats?

John.

oh, are they the ones that come in in their 'going out' clothes, take our seats, and spend most of the time smoking silk cut ultras outside the front door library? forgive the bitterness, im way over my head on cos of exams. hence the moseying around the boards to distract myself...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Do school kids actually come in to study for the Leaving Cert in the library??!

I must say that I found the library in UL to be an awful place to try and concentrate... too many distractions with all the pretty dressed up young ones who you never see during term time... plus if you get a seat at the window you always end up starting into space or watching out for friends who are wandering by... then running down to catch them... ending up in the pub 6 points later and 1 day closer to the exams.

Ahhhh... the exam buzz ;)

BossArky wrote:
    Do school kids actually come in to study for the Leaving Cert in the library??!

They sure do. I remember when I was in UL I used to see loads of my sister's (who is is 3 years younger than me) mates coming in to "study". They were all of the leaving cert age bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I used to actually keep seats for people before but i dont any more, cos theres no point in going in early, possibly for 8:25 for a good place in 'the queue', get a seat, and waiting an hour for my friends to come in. If people want a good seat they better get their asses out of bed for it.

i tried that this morning, i even threw my phone across the room so that i would have to get up to stop that freaking alarm going off! 'hey' i thought, 'its 8.45, there will be some seats left'. how wrong i was... and im a third year, i really should know better...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Stay at home, you'll get much more done.

• Advertisement

yeah ill get loads done, the washing, home and away watching, cleaning the presses, constructing an 'arc de triomphe' replica using cotton buds and pasta...!! sorry, that what past experiences have been. ah well! g'luck to everyone doing exams!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Ah smell that - smells like worried students getting bitter. And ye are dead right. Guilty of this crime myself but more often than not back within a half hr tops.

Remeber in CIT they brought in this slip rule. You signed your name ID and the time you left the desk at,(the slip allowed 10 mins break),if someone came along after 10mins after the time on the slip the desk is fair game. To say this method is a disaster is to say the least.

nukem

Nukem wrote:
    Remeber in CIT they brought in this slip rule. You signed your name ID and the time you left the desk at,(the slip allowed 10 mins break),if someone came along after 10mins after the time on the slip the desk is fair game. To say this method is a disaster is to say the least.

They did that in UL also at one stage a few years back. I don't think it was too successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Must say I have been guilty of keeping seats but it's generally for no longer than an hour. I study with another girl and we try to have it so that every second day one of us can get a sleep in and still get seats in library. Getting up that hour of the morning every day and studying for such long hours is a killer.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I was in at 9 yesterday morning and all the seats were gone. Its a f*ckin joke. So now what I do is I find a seat and just move the book and use the desk. Most of the time nobody ever comes back and I could be there for a few hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I generally rob a seat that has no bag or jacket. No one ever comes back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dutchboy

the library is good for spotting the talent, but there are better places around college to get work done! Shhhhh, musnt give it away now! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

keevita wrote:
    is anyone else getting a tad irritated by how people are 'keeping' desks for their friends around exam time? a few photocopied sheets, with no bag, jacket, pens. etc, does not a 'kept' seat make. and yet you get looks if u move the sheets... :confused:
    Pfft, dirty looks. Tell them to go **** themselves if they say anything. Or next year when I'm back you can all come and watch me do it.

Dirty looks are a waste of time and I'm done with them. Here are the new rules: Answer your phone near me in the library, get a pen thrown at you by me. Come in and visit your mates and talk for ten minutes, second pen goes flying or I'll just tell you to STFU (loudly so everyone can hear). I'm too old, too tired and too ****ing bored to react in any other way. I'd suggest you all play the game in the same way.

I really wouldn't have a problem with the odd seat being kept if it wasn't so common (judging by what you're all saying). And I wouldn't have a problem with anyone going away for half an hour for lunch. Everyone's got to eat. Some people tend to keep a seat in the morning for a friend that doesn't turn up till the early afternoon or goes for a wander around the campus all day after arriving.

In the old days, when the library was in the main building, there was no talking allowed. Just like now. However, there was an area at the back where there was "really no talking allowed". Which of course fortified the notino that the rule was there to be ignored in the main library but at least there was a quiet section near the back. Of course along with all you respectable kids there's a growing minority these days who don't give a flying monkey about anyone but themselves. I'll see if I can hit one of them in the eye with a pen. I've been told I should have a target for next year so that can be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

rofl.

it's gonna be an interesting time indeed Shay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

The official university rule when I was there was if a seat was unoccupied for 15mins you were to take all the stuff from the desk and place it on the floor. Same with the computer labs. If you start to get hassled get security. I never had to do this as I always got a place though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Library....what would I be doing in the library, I've got a perfectly good computer building!

Advertisement