Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My cat died with courage and true grit..

Options
  • 10-05-2005 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

Well it wasn't our cat, but it always stayed at our house coz we fed it. She was a young cat, and 3 days ago gave birth to 3 cute kittens, which we kept in our shed at the side of our house.
    Well, yesterday the cat while crossing the road was hit by a car and broke its back. We found it back in the shed, with the kittens. She had dragged herself, with her front legs, up the garden path, around the house and into the shed.
    The owners collected the cat and the kittens. The cat had to be put down, and the kittens will not survive without their mother. It goes to show nature's instinct to strive for survival and the well being of her litter.

ah, well, that's life......

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

thats quite sad tbh.
    and the cat did not have to be put down,no1 has the right...better stop be4 i begin to rant as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Tad, pls of course it had to be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

surely if the cats back was broken then the cat was in alot of pain, so putting it down would prob be the best option...poor thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

and the cat did not have to be put down,no1 has the right...better stop be4 i begin to rant as usual.

I wonder if you would be so willing to suffer with a broken back without any medication or hope of recovery. Putting it down as the right move.

Is there no chance the kittens could be weined with human intervention? Or possibly find a surrogate mother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

thats quite sad tbh.
    Yes you are right, the cat should have had the right to live the rest of its life in intense agony until it succumbs to the pain/Inablity to move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

There is no reason why some of the kittens should not survive.
    My cat had 3 kittens 12 days ago.
    The mother died of a womb infection when the kittens were 3 days old.
    Since then we have bottle fed the kittens.
    One of the kittens died a day later but the other two are going from strength to strength.

At least try to home the kittens with another feeding cat. If not try to feed them yourself.
    Its a bit of a pain feeding them at 5:30 in the morning but I'm not the sort of person that could leave them to die.
    JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Is there no chance the kittens could be weined with human intervention? Or possibly find a surrogate mother?

Dunno. The owners have them now. I suppose the vet could rustle something up. I hope the owners are good enough to try everything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I wonder if you would be so willing to suffer with a broken back without any medication or hope of recovery. Putting it down as the right move.

both my brother and my dog have broken their backs,i had neither killed and they are fine so i guess the whole no medication and no hope of recovery is bull****.
    basically something that feels a lot of pain and has no chance of recovery should die,thats nice.even taking one example such as that disease where you get dislocated bones all the time is a fine example of intense pain all your life yet people manage it and there are far worse diseases people have to live with.

both my brother and my dog have broken their backs,i had neither killed and they are fine so i guess the whole no medication and no hope of recovery is bull****.
    basically something that feels a lot of pain and has no chance of recovery should die,thats nice.even taking one example such as that disease where you get dislocated bones all the time is a fine example of intense pain all your life yet people manage it and there are far worse diseases people have to live with.

Well the broken back was probably just the start of it, when a cat gets a knock from a car and has a broken back its probably got all sorts of problems with its vital organs/ crushed organs. Plus imagine how much the surgery would have cost

i respect your first argument about other internal injuries if it was going to certainly die etc,(my dog was hit by a car too)
    but as for money,that has no value as an arguement to me at all(imho) as money should be no obstacle on life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=252465

Any female boards members want to volunteer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭JimboPope

You could have done a collection and got a back transplant for the poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

Thats so sad

ah sure theres backs lying around willy nilly these days

JimboPope wrote:
    You could have done a collection and got a back transplant for the poor thing.
    Or how about transplanting the brain and head onto some sort of cyborg chassis? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

the kittens will surive but they qill have to be cared for very carefully my mom carried a kitten with her everywhere for months even to mpick me up from school (14 years ago i think) and she carried it everywhere and took care of it and reguarley fed it it surived and lived to be old enough

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

but as for money,that has no value as an arguement to me at all(imho) as money should be no obstacle on life.

as guns 'n roses said...

its easy to be hungry when you aint got sh1t to lose....

i always find that people with no money say this,

on the other hand, i find that having lots of money helps me get over many of those obsticles very nicely thank you very much.

however, im now feeling mucho sad about the cat.

i am a cat lover. tis official.

well your not using my cyborg chassis, i put my brother in it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Well tbh if the cat could drag itself across the road in agonizing pain to her kittens id say there was a good chance of the poor cat living :( It wouldnt give up without a fight!

the thing about that is that it clearly wanted to live on in pain just to be with it's kittens thats why people didnt have the right to kill it.now to the pub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Horsesh*t. I wouldn't have an animal put down willy-nilly, but small animals rarely come through this kind of accident. And we don't all have the small fortune that it cost to give this cat good and proper vetinary care.

The world is the way is it. Sometimes we decide to let an animal die. Simple. Bl**dy bleeding hearts, try growing up on a farm, and having to kill a family dog because he's a habitual roamer and you're concerned that he'll attack neightbours sheep. The world is a little crueller than your pink bubblegum idealism

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

dudara wrote:
    Horsesh*t. I wouldn't have an animal put down willy-nilly, but small animals rarely come through this kind of accident. And we don't all have the small fortune that it cost to give this cat good and proper vetinary care.

The world is the way is it. Sometimes we decide to let an animal die. Simple. Bl**dy bleeding hearts, try growing up on a farm, and having to kill a family dog because he's a habitual roamer and you're concerned that he'll attack neightbours sheep. The world is a little crueller than your pink bubblegum idealism
    Yeah, I'm a diehard animal lover (and a bloody vegetarian to boot) but even I think that was a ridiculous comment. Keeping it around would only be out of kindness to yourself, if a pet gets that badly injured (and cats rarely come out of accidents with cars) you have to do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

My father and I found a crow that had had its feet smashed off and wings broken, lying in a field, fluttering on the end of a piece of blue twine tied to a rock. My father killed it instantly. The person who tortured the crow was cruel and evil- my father showed it a kindness. If you don't understand this, maybe it's just because you're young.

It would have been crueler to try and nurse it back to health knowing there was no vet that could medicate it's pain, and that it would definitely have died in a day or two anyway. Those few extra days of life are not worth it for the suffering th animal feels.

Animals don't have fantastic cognitive facilities- they can't rationalise and deal with the pain like a human with reasoning capabilities could if they were suffering a debilitating and painful illness.

well your not using my cyborg chassis, i put my brother in it :P
    does he fight crime :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

"try growing up on a farm, and having to kill a family dog because he's a habitual roamer and you're concerned that he'll attack neighbours sheep."

What a stupid comment! There are such things as dog runs and fencing!

As for the cat, the vet probably thought it best to pts because of the injuries.
    The cats kittens could of survived..leaving it up to the vets..whats that supposed to mean???..its not up to the vets for the kittens to survive its up to the owners willing to take responsibility and hand rear the kittens themselves. Mind you if those kittens survived the owners would probably not spay them and you will end up with the same problem next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Yes there are, but can you take the chance on the dog getting out just the once? You can't when you own livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Rossonero wrote:
    The owners collected the cat and the kittens. The cat had to be put down, and the kittens will not survive without their mother. It goes to show nature's instinct to strive for survival and the well being of her litter.

Rossonero, would anyone at www.irishanimals.ie be able to help in this situation. If there was another cat that had kittens she might take on the kittens. It has been heard of before. That is a terrible story.
    the thing about that is that it clearly wanted to live on in pain just to be with it's kittens thats why people didnt have the right to kill it.now to the pub

Troll, be off with you!! :mad:

Oh get real would you, you clearly dont know what farmling life is like. However a better solution than putting him down may have been to try and get him a more suitable home where he would not post a danger to other animals. After that you could buy a smaller dog that couldnt do dick against a sheep - if you really needed a dog.

I have a Jack Russel, couldnt tear the end off a plastic bag - stupid thing. Its a fun dog tho :)

it clearly wanted to live on in pain just to be with it's kittens thats why people didnt have the right to kill it

No, thats maternal instinct. If did the same to any female animal with children it would do its best to protect its young. That doesnt mean that it would have been best to not put the cat down and take action to save the kittens. How would you propose a cat with a broken back to hunt and feed its young?

As bubby correctly said "Troll, be off with you!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

So youre saying put the dog to sleep that you cant bother keeping control of and replace it with another one..who will probably be untrained like the first....
    Sorry but proper fencing and dog runs are easy to keep dogs contained.
    Farmers usually have all the tools required for fencing.

Putting a dog to sleep because you can't be bothered containing it is rubbish.

• Advertisement

So youre saying put the dog to sleep that you cant bother keeping control of and replace it with another one..who will probably be untrained like the first....

Please point out to me where I say that in my post. Either quote/paraphrase me properly or dont bother quoting at all.
    Sorry but proper fencing and dog runs are easy to keep dogs contained.

Have you done this yourself, or are you basing these on notions on a 6 foot tall dog with locked knees and no paws. Dont confuse a dog with a cow.
    Farmers usually have all the tools required for fencing.

Yes of course, I forgot that farmers always have everthing in the barn for every eventuality. First of all you cannot generalise farmers into one domain. Take dairy/dry stock famers for example. They deal in bovine. In gernal, an electric fence is used to hold them in. This runs at about 3 feet high. What kind of dog couldnt get past that.

And these dogs runs. Are you going to tell a farmer to fork out money to fence perhaps an 100acre permiter of land? Where the cattle could easily make **** of it. What about the gates for field access, I suppost you think chicken wire would stop the dogs getting past the rungs of the gate.
    Putting a dog to sleep because you can't be bothered containing it is rubbish.

While I agree with this statement, it is not the statement that I, or the original related poster made. No one said anything about "cant be bothered containing it.

Advertisement