Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable Housing - Can Shares Be Used?

Options
  • 10-05-2005 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭

My employer has an employee share purchase scheme whereby about 10% of my monthly wages go into buying the companies shares at a 15% discounted rate (from share price at the end of the buying period).

My question is this..my current account usually ends with a balance of 0€ at the end of the month but the shares are gathering value bit by bit at a nice steady rate.

Can I use this as evidance of ability to save or does it go by bank balance only , would really rather not have to ditch buying the shares as its a pretty good deal for blue chip company shares and i'd rather hang on to them than sell ..also ..money in my account is a horrible temptation to spend..shares are easier to save with for me.

Anyone any ideas on this ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They might be usuable but remember shares can go up or down. Owning shares in the company you work for can put you in a doubly difficult position if the company goes bust. Are you at least getting the tax-break of SAYE or similar?

The problem of course is that the bank will want security and will probably want to hold the share certificates you don't hold yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

As far as know you can't use shares as security when purchaseing a property. Shares can be worthless tomorrow so there is actually no security in them.

They should accept it as a form of saving regularly but I still not convinced that makes a big deal to the banks. It might help swing a decision but little more

Advertisement