Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking on the road in an estate?

Options
  • 10-05-2005 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

If you live in an estate, what is the legal situation with parking out on the road in front of your house - Who 'owns' that spot??
    My sister parked her car on the road outside a neighbours house and they asked her to move it - can they do this? Is it their space, or is it public road??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

It's public road but I think usually you respect the space outside your neighbours house and they do likewise. I had a neighbour up the street park outside her neighbours house only to cmoe out the next morning and find her car boxed in by her neighbour. Had happened a few times until she called in and said if she boxed her in again she would call the gardai about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

it's public road, you can park where you like but a little community spirit can make life easy. no point annoying people over something minor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

"If you live in an estate, what is the legal situation with parking out on the road in front of your house - Who 'owns' that spot??
    My sister parked her car on the road outside a neighbours house and they asked her to move it - can they do this? Is it their space, or is it public road??"

It depends on the estate in question if its a private estate, ie someone runs all the maintainance etc then ask them the situation, if the land is public ie county council etc then its as above unless there are lines painted on the road and therefore you obey those.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's illegal to park where your vehicle would obstruct an entrance. If as astec123 says above, the road is public/council property, and your sister's parking is obstructing the other person's entrance (or otherwise making it difficult for them to enter/exit their property), then she should move it.

She should move it anyway, it hurts not to be a friendly neighbour. I don't know of any decent method of convincing someone to not park in front of your house anymore except to arrange your parking times so that your car is there first :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Its not obstructing a driveway, problem is all the families around here are young. And we have 3 cars in our house. The neighbour across the way refuses to use his driveway, and parks his car on the road outside his house (his prerogative), but it puts pressure on us and our neighbour to the right who has 2 cars, so everyone grabs whatever road spot they can find, which usually leaves one of us parking up a bit outside the complaining neighbours house. If anyone should show community spirit its the guy who leaves his driveway empty and parks on the road just to be a pr1ck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Kersh wrote:
    If anyone should show community spirit its the guy who leaves his driveway empty and parks on the road just to be a pr1ck.

yea he is acting the pr1ck. Although I can understand the complaining neighbour. I'd be p1ssed if someone parked outside my house. We have 3 cars so one always is on the street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

yea he is acting the pr1ck. Although I can understand the complaining neighbour. I'd be p1ssed if someone parked outside my house. We have 3 cars so one always is on the street

Maybe you should visit the neighbour that you happen to park outside of and ask them if they mind calling over the the guy o'er the road, go over the 2 of you and speak to him, be polite, kind and considerate and ask him if he would do that for the benefit of all the residents, dont say that its for you, say its for all, that it would alleviate a big problem, and if the talking goes well, add a joke that he will have less distance to walk on winters mornings or when its wet. Most people dont see these things and he probably will say, that he didnt realise and take more care in future to keep up the community spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,870 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Kersh wrote:
    If anyone should show community spirit its the guy who leaves his driveway empty and parks on the road just to be a pr1ck.
    Look at it from his point of view. If he parked in his drive, one of you lot would be blocking him in all the time!

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Have to say, people parking outside my place wrecks my head. Not much that can usually be done about it though. I only see it as a major problem when they're too inconsiderate to park properly, meaning I have to an Austin Powers like three point turn to get in or out of the driveway...

We dont block his driveway, each set of 2 houses has 2 spaces in front on the road. As for him not using his driveway...he uses it during the day, than in the evening (as we all come home from work) he puts it out on the road. Once, when I was parked in front of his house, his car was in his driveway, and I had to go out about 11pm, when I got back 10 mins later he had moved it out onto the road, leaving his driveway emplty, he is just a wanxer, wait til his 3 kids are 18+ and have cars....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

seamus wrote:
    It's illegal to park where your vehicle would obstruct an entrance.

Unless you have the permission of the entrance owner.

However even with permission be advised that private peoperty ownership only extends to the footpath, as (in most cases) suburban footpaths and roads are under public ownership, thus it is illegal to park on the footpath, you do not "own" the footpath outside your own house, you dont even own the portion of footpath that allows access to to your driveway. You must, technically park xxx cemtimentres from the curb. However in real life roads are often too narrow to allow this so residents park on curbs. It is only a matter of time before revenue hungry outsourced "traffic police" exploit this easy cash cow.

But non-ownership is a positive point in many respects, such as if someone falls and injures themselves while walking up the section of footpath that happens to be outside your house it is the local authority that they "sue" and not you (unless you were obviously responsible)*

I'm not a lawyer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

They already have Vector, they do it all the time around the Glasnevin area on match days in Croke Park. The even clamp cars of manix road which has curb on one side and just a grassy hill on the other when fans park on the grass, not obstructing anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Kersh wrote:
    As for him not using his driveway...he uses it during the day, than in the evening he puts it out on the road.
    In that case, he's probably doing it purely so that other people don't park in front of his house, which makes sense. Therefore there's no more moral onus on him than there is on the person up the street who complained in the first place. They both don't want other people parking in front of their house (i wouldn't, either), but they're just going about it different ways. He goes with the "prevention is better than cure" approach.

I empathise with everyone's situation, and there's no ideal solution. A lot of front gardens are being paved over these days along with the boom in car ownership. Perhaps you should consider that for your three cars? After all (and i don't mean to sound cold), if you can't fit three cars on your private property, you're not in much of a position to complain about the use of public property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Petal

I think theres a question in the theory test that covers this. As far as I know you need your neighbours permission to park in front of their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

i live in a semi-detached house in an estate. Theirs room for one car in the driveway, and room for 2 cars(1 per house) on the road. I always park on the road because the aulfla is up before me in the mornings, and id only block him in. I work nightshifts so i park on the road, so he can get his car out during the day.

Anyways, up until recently the estate was fairly empty with cars, but now, commuters using the BusEireann bus in the mornings dump their cars in the estate, infront of residents homes, and of course my home. What can we do about this?

i dont mind a neighbour parking outside the house, but complete strangers parking where i park for 8 hours a day is crazy. Would they like me to park outside their house all day everyday. I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

i live in a semi-detached house in an estate. Theirs room for one car in the driveway, and room for 2 cars(1 per house) on the road. I always park on the road because the aulfla is up before me in the mornings, and id only block him in. I work nightshifts so i park on the road, so he can get his car out during the day.

Anyways, up until recently the estate was fairly empty with cars, but now, commuters using the BusEireann bus in the mornings dump their cars in the estate, infront of residents homes, and of course my home. What can we do about this?

i dont mind a neighbour parking outside the house, but complete strangers parking where i park for 8 hours a day is crazy. Would they like me to park outside their house all day everyday. I don't think so.

Check with the local Gardai - I heard that they had a word with people who were doing it in our estate - other than than box them in tight with 2 old cars so they can't move it. :D

Another thing- check their tax discs - AFAIK you are not allowed park commercially taxed vehicles in a residential area.

BTW if someone is parking and blocking or at least making it awkward to get inot your drive what is your recourse? Gardai I assume? Will they do anything? Does it have to be impossible to get in/out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Another thing- check their tax discs - AFAIK you are not allowed park commercially taxed vehicles in a residential area.

Not so, however it is illeagal to park untaxed vehicles, always a good weapon against dodgy parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

My neighbour, despite being asked several times not to do it, repeatedly parks directly opposite my driveway on a very narrow road, making it next to impossible to get out. What's the USP here? He's a fuggin Garda!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Petal wrote:
    I think theres a question in the theory test that covers this. As far as I know you need your neighbours permission to park in front of their house.
    Rubbish
    commuters using the BusEireann bus in the mornings dump their cars in the estate, infront of residents homes, and of course my home. What can we do about this?
    Legally, nothing (unless you have unusual property ownership). It's a public road; they can park there if they want (is that not what they pay their road tax for?). I realise it can be really frustrating though. About the only thing I can see working is asking the council to make the estate a pay-parking zone (disc/meter). Watch them disappear then! Of course, if you have a few cars in your household and only one residents permit, you could be in an awkward situation....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Garibaldi wrote:
    My neighbour, despite being asked several times not to do it, repeatedly parks directly opposite my driveway on a very narrow road, making it next to impossible to get out. What's the USP here? He's a fuggin Garda!! :mad:
    Ask him nicely not to park there, reminding him of the illegality of it.

• Advertisement

We thought about paving the garden alright, but then thought, why, if he isnt even using his driveway ( then I think, we need to). His kids arent far from 18 now, so I cant wait to see how he copes then. Someone give me a quote to pave my garden... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Depends what kinda paving you put down.. can be cheaper than you think if you do it yourself..

As for the neighbour, as long as your car is taxed, you can park on a road. Sounds like the other guy is an pr!ck, but there's a few of them around too, no harm having a chat with him either. Although I lived in a spot a few years ago and a few of the neighbours thought they had a divine right to the spot outside their house, and they had an empty driveway too, so let's say the spot was taken up a lot, and not a thing the person could do about it. I'd just tell them to ring the gardai and see what they say, which they didn't.. I didn't give a sh!t about community spirit, I was a renter, and this muppet banging the door down at 1am was annoying. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

If people park in front of your house the (illegal) solution is to put out traffic cones

some people will move them so you need to go the extra mile
    link them with plastic cordon tape
    use garda traffic cones, or cones that are identical except for the word gardai

if you are paranoid you will put out the cones at night, wearing a ski-mash/ballyclava you don't want photos that link you with the cones

if you really really want the space, then get a old telecom eireann tent witha couple of work in progress signs will make it look like stuff is happening then noone will move the cones

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I don't park in my driveway because there's a /steep/ incline. I used to, but it was damaging the handbrake. Maybe yer man across from you is the same Kersh. He may have some reason for not parking in his drive like the engine's leaking small amounts of oil, etc.

I'd do like the others suggested and ask politely.

We had a run in with the people directly opposite us over this exact thing before. (Tried the polite route first). They relented in the end, though weren't obliged to and it improved the whole community spirit (which is quite strong here) after the initial trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Having put up with aggravating parking **** for years, in various different locations, I've come to the conclusion that the only solution is to get filthy rich and buy a **** off big detached house with a driveway big enough for your fleet of cars. I'm working on this at present.

Nah.its not cos he has a car problem, cos he uses the driveway all day, he throws his car out at night, when we all get in from work and need to park. I hope is car is broken into, then he might use his driveway....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Im not being a bitch here , but its really none of your business whether your neighbours parks in his space or not , if it was me id park on the road too just to stop other people parking right outside my house , its not really his problem that ye have 3 cars , I hate when people park right outside my house and I think its his right to stop others from parking right outside his house .

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

amusing enough i think that you have pretty much defined the meaning of the word 'bitch' there. The basic point is that the road outside your house is not 'your' road. it is 'everyone's' road. Anyone can park there. Don't believe me? good.. go check it out with the cops or your lawyer. If people dont part there, they will be forced to park more 'creativly' probably causing more hassle, so even more people suffer.
    Don't like people parking outside your house?, i think if there was ever a use for the 'if your not part of the solution....' saying, i think this is it.

pm me your reg number so i can drive past you when it is raining and you have a flat tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    I think its his right to stop others from parking right outside his house .
    No it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

magpie wrote:
    Having put up with aggravating parking **** for years, in various different locations, I've come to the conclusion that the only solution is to get filthy rich and buy a **** off big detached house with a driveway big enough for your fleet of cars. I'm working on this at present.

correct most neighbours are pr!cks , human nature i suppose and get jealous and petty in their own little way.
    buying and owning a large secluded house with electric gates is far better than owning a new porsche.

Advertisement