Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking on the road in an estate?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Walk ya lazy bastards! :) The amount of rows over parking because people are not willing to park consideratly/safely 30ft away and walk.

Nobody here has and 'rights'. It's public property and anybody can park anywhere they like (unless blocking an entrance, near a corner, etc.). Politely tell your neighbours **** off and adopt a first come, first served policy as to who gets to park where.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

My cars are worth a bit, and attractive to thieves, I like to park as close to the house as poss, hence I usually annex the driveway. My sis car is usually parked up around the corner. And yes, we do have to park 'creatively', Whenanyone complains about the parking, we just point to the empty driveway, and say 'look at him'. I know its his business and all, but he is just being a pr1ck. Im gonna bring one of my cars home for a week and leave it outside his house :D:D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It's funny how people think that parking closer to their house is safer. In reality it makes no difference to the thief whether you are parked outside the door or around the corner. He has assessed the risk and has no idea where the owner lives and he will take it. It's a false security. Even more annoying are the people who will park directly outside their home instead of pulling up behind the nearest car. You then end up with all these half car spaces that inconvenience everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

given the choice i always park in the driveway and not on the road outside the house. much less chance of the car getting damaged by other cars and kids playing. Kersh, u must be living on a mature\quiet estate for yer neighbour to leave his car out on the road just to stop others parking in front of his house.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Kersh wrote:
    I know its his business and all, but he is just being a pr1ck. Im gonna bring one of my cars home for a week and leave it outside his house :D:D .
    ...and he's the one being the príck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

My cars are worth a bit, and attractive to thieves

Are you parking your own three cars in your driveway, and your siblings parking their own in the street ???

No,I only ever bring 1 car home, I get the driveway, I have had quite a number of attempts on my cars, As for the thief not knowing who owns it, he does when its in the driveway, under cctv, with 2 alarms/proximity sensors and a big lock on it. I think the guy across the way is going to have a hard time when his kids start driving... :).
    The estate is full of young families, ours is the eldest, some kids are 15/16, so we were the 1st to have offspring driving...less than 30 houses in the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

well how much do u want for ur gto, that will be one car less if i bought it :D is it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Kersh wrote:
    We thought about paving the garden alright, but then thought, why, if he isnt even using his driveway ( then I think, we need to). His kids arent far from 18 now, so I cant wait to see how he copes then. Someone give me a quote to pave my garden... :)
    If you pave your garden you still need planning permission to created a proper driveway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

OLDYELLAR wrote:
    Im not being a bitch here , but its really none of your business whether your neighbours parks in his space or not , if it was me id park on the road too just to stop other people parking right outside my house , its not really his problem that ye have 3 cars , I hate when people park right outside my house and I think its his right to stop others from parking right outside his house .
    Well, yeah, you are being a bitch. A selfish bitch. If you weren't using the space outside the house, what would you want it for, forking decoration?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Id want it purely so others cant park outside my house and then id sit out naked in me parking space just to bug people further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

This is what you want
    Camden3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just a question: What is in your garage?

Hang on, if he didn't have his penis (his car) in his wife's vagina (the driveway) would you consider him selfish that he has it inside in his trousers? (the road) :rolleyes: That somehow because you have three penises, that he should make space for you by perpetually having sex with his wife?
    i live in a semi-detached house in an estate. Theirs room for one car in the driveway, and room for 2 cars(1 per house) on the road. I always park on the road because the aulfla is up before me in the mornings, and id only block him in. I work nightshifts so i park on the road, so he can get his car out during the day.
    This doesn't seem to make sense. Surely he could also park on the road and you could use the driveway at night. I don't think it makes a difference.
    Anyways, up until recently the estate was fairly empty with cars, but now, commuters using the BusEireann bus in the mornings dump their cars in the estate, infront of residents homes, and of course my home. What can we do about this?
    If it's a problem, as opposed to begrudgery, then ask the council to implement a permit parking scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I tend to park on the road, because if any friend or family call up to the house its very difficult to find parking on the road. So leaving space on the drive makes it easier for them. Also it means that you don't have to move a car to get at the inner one. Because we are near the bus terminus we have people, not from the area, who park on the road and hop on the bus into town. Sometimes leaving the car their for a few days at a time, even a 2 weeks on one occasion. Usually they park really badly making it difficult to get out of the drive. To me thats taking the piss. Don't mind if its for a few hours. At the end of the day theres nothing much you can do about it.

A formula Opel race car...is in the garage, on chassis stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

i've found this thread quiet entertaining reading through all the posts :)

nothgin you can do about stopping neighbours parking outside the house, at this stage i've given up even thinking about it, my next door neighbour has 6 kids, 4 of which are driving, each has there own car, he himself has a car and also drives a local ambulance service, and the wife also has a car, then comes the husbands/fiancee's/boyfriends of the 4 girls with 2 more jeeps and another car.

on any givin day there is usally 2 sometimes 3 cars in their drivway, 2-3 outside their house, 2 cars outside our house unless i manage to get my bike out there in which case it's only 1, and usally another car or 2 outside other neighbours houses. it's bloody rediculous but nothing ya can do about it.

council would make a fortune if this housing estate was pay and display ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

Eye wrote:
    council would make a fortune if this housing estate was pay and display ;)

don't be giving them ideas..

@ eye,
    Sounds like we are like your neighbours, and you like the guy across the streeet, but less of a pr!ck about it, like i said , his kids will be big someday.

Eye wrote:
    nothgin you can do about stopping neighbours parking outside the house, at this stage i've given up even thinking about it, my next door neighbour has 6 kids, 4 of which are driving, each has there own car, he himself has a car and also drives a local ambulance service, and the wife also has a car, then comes the husbands/fiancee's/boyfriends of the 4 girls with 2 more jeeps and another car.
    Just how many cars are actually needed? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

council would make a fortune if this housing estate was pay and display

If enough people feel the same way you can get it designated 'residents parking', 2 permits per house only.

• Advertisement

magpie wrote:
    If enough people feel the same way you can get it designated 'residents parking', 2 permits per house only.
    It needn't be 2 per house(hold), in Dublin City there is a sliding scale from 1 (in high demand areas and where a building has multiple households) to 4 per household (but only one per person).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

magpie wrote:

I assume you have to contact the local council for this. Does it have to be done per esate or can say a group of 20 people just get it applied to their road in an estate? Is just a majority needed or does everyone need to agree?

Get the council to paint spaces outside everyones houses with the house number on them, that avoids all confusion. If you can't fit your cars in that and your drive, tough, find somewhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

Kersh wrote:
    We dont block his driveway, each set of 2 houses has 2 spaces in front on the road. As for him not using his driveway...he uses it during the day, than in the evening (as we all come home from work) he puts it out on the road. Once, when I was parked in front of his house, his car was in his driveway, and I had to go out about 11pm, when I got back 10 mins later he had moved it out onto the road, leaving his driveway emplty, he is just a wanxer, wait til his 3 kids are 18+ and have cars....
    1979 Porsche 911 Sc (for sale)
    1990 Nissan 300zx TT (for sale)
    1991 Mitsubishi Gto (SOLD)
    One down, 2 to go.

if you are trading cars he might be getting sick of your stock all over the estate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Can't believe I didn't see this thread sooner. It's great. Thanks for bringing it back up goldenbrown. Now, you should expect a slapping. ;)
    ... Because we are near the bus terminus we have people, not from the area, who park on the road and hop on the bus into town. Sometimes leaving the car their for a few days at a time, even a 2 weeks on one occasion. Usually they park really badly making it difficult to get out of the drive. To me thats taking the piss. Don't mind if its for a few hours. At the end of the day theres nothing much you can do about it.

Actually Ricardo. There is something you can do. If a car is there for more than a couple of days, remove the reg plates and call the council. I'm in South Dublin and for some reason we've had a few cars just left on the road. The guy in the council hinted that they couldn't remove a car if there were plates on it. We had 5 cars removed over 3 years. None took longer than a couple of days to disappear. These were abandoned cars though. Not just parking

Kersh, why doesn't someone in your house park outside his before he gets his car onto the road. See what happens then. And if he leaves his car on the road, park in his driveway :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Kersh

Why don't you call across to your neighbour, and with a complete poker face ask him if you could use his driveway in the evening since he doesn't use it...

:D

1979 Porsche 911 Sc (for sale)
    1990 Nissan 300zx TT (for sale)
    1991 Mitsubishi Gto (SOLD)
    One down, 2 to go.

if you are trading cars he might be getting sick of your stock all over the estate!

You do know they're his own cars, in another thread he said that he's selling these to get another car, I forget what car, it's there somewhere. So he isn't trading cars.

If I was trading cars I wouldn keep them for like 4 years ata time would I. At you other guys..- I do park in his spot when I can, he even shook his head as he pulled in and I was parking up outside his house. Now we leave our driveway free for me and dad to park in at the evenings, and my sis parks on the road etc etc....and if anyone should complain, Ill point at his empty driveway too...More than one way to skin a cat as they say. :D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement