Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Used Car Price book

Options
  • 10-05-2005 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

I recently bought the new Irish Used Car Price Guide book - published by Car Buyers Guide.

It great to finally have an Irish-published book available with used car guide values !

Well done CBG !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

where did you get it - is it available in newsagents? would be interested to get one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Bought it in my local newsagent, €5.95.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'll have a lookout for one of those! Thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

But will stealers use it. I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jildy

I purchased this book and I can safely say that it is rubbish.
    A few reasons.

1. Prices are unrealistically high.
    2. It does not include different spec models.
    3. They do not give approximate adjustment for either high or low mileage.

I bought one of these books in the UK once (think it was the Parkers Used Car Guide) and it gave every model, told how much to add/take off for every extra 1000 miles over the 'normal' usage etc....

The CBG Guide falls flat on its backside here.

You can log on to www.cbg.ie and get the exact same info for free...

Just my penny's worth,

Jildy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I know someone working in CBG and can get some promotional copies if anyone is interested, Ill stick your name on one Unkel sould you wish.

Im in Drumcondra, and should be picking them up tonight in Rathfarnham.

I should have 10 in total... stick your name down if you are interested and happen to be around Drumcondra area to Santry area, phibsboro, cabra clontarf, you know close enough to make it worth collecting.

From what I gather they are not trying to be a "parkers guide" but an indicator to the average car buyer as opposed to the experienced car-noissieur like you fine folk. :)

Vex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Vexorg wrote:
    From what I gather they are not trying to be a "parkers guide" but an indicator to the average car buyer as opposed to the experienced car-noissieur like you fine folk.
    That's actually quite disappointing. When I'd heard the ads I assumed it was going to be like the UK guide. Whats the point if it's basically just a collection of the average price thing on their website?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i have to agree . they missed a lot of cars from what ive seen so far .

I cant comment as Ive not seen the guide, I would have expected it to develop as it matures, like any other publication, if I remember correctly the early car sales publications, like cbg, motormart etc, took some time to get going.

what book do the dealers use to value cars? I take it that it is not possible to get my grubby little mitts on one of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

eoin_s wrote:
    what book do the dealers use to value cars? I take it that it is not possible to get my grubby little mitts on one of them?

What price are you looking for Eoin_s?
    PM me and i 'might' be able to help... ;)

prospect wrote:
    What price are you looking for Eoin_s?
    PM me and i 'might' be able to help... ;)

Thanks prospect - may do that, but will only depress me probably! Would also be interested just for the sake of it to be honest, rather than for one particular car...

The dealers guide is an expensive item, I did some consulting for a main dealer for block exemption and they were paying over €1200 a year plus vat for a couple of paper and software copies of the guide. From what I could gather many of the prices were just a guide and trade ins would often be very different to the guide value.

It seems to be used to value cars that the sales guys were not familier with.

V.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Dealers use 'The Car Sales Guide' to check values. It's published in Malahide, Dublin. (There is also a van and jeep guide for dealers).

The new CBG guide is a good start. I say give it a chance (and support) and it should improve over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

The prices in that cbg book are way to high.They are way over the book value.

rule of tumb is

-€100/1000 miles over average

average for petrol is 13k miles/year
    average for diesels is 15k miles/year

The dealers book gives full retail price which is usualy off a bit to

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

The car sales guide is what dealers use new addition each
    month cost 253 for 1 copy

Advertisement