Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reversing a trailer

Options
  • 10-05-2005 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

Can you reverse a trailer?
    Not as easy as it looks but with loads of practice it isn't too bad. Loads of people have never pulled a trailer let alone reversed one.

Has anyone actually got the car and trailer option ticked off on their licence.

My mother often pulls a horse box each week to a show but she can't reverse it. Well she sort of can but only if it lined up straight and going back straight :rolleyes:

I find it is easier to reverse a large trailer than a small one. Hate reversing a small single axel trailer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Weird...I was just going to start my own thread on trailer reversing. I think I'm a pretty competent reverser but am always looking for tips on how to improve my technique. I agree that it is often easier to reverse a large double axle trailer than a small single axle one because the smaller trailer is much more sensitive to slight steering inputs and so can be difficult to reverse in a straight line without jackknifing or zig zagging all over the place. However this aspect of small trailers also means they require much less room to maneouvre as you can get them turning very quickly whereas a bigger trailer turns more gradually and needs a bigger arch.

Practice does make perfect though. Most of my reversing is done with biggish(20 ft plus length) boat trailers in quite confined spaces. I don't have an EB licence as I don't need one due to the light weight of boat trailers. Even biggish ones are usually quite light and can therefore be towed on a B licence.

I have never met a woman who could reverse any sort of trailer well :) TBH I think it's ridiculous that your mother is towing a horsebox without being able to reverse it properly, someday that will catch her out. It's bad enough with a small light trailer where you can unhitch it and manhandle it around if you mess up but that's not an option with something heavy like a big horsebox

Final thing I'll say is that the towing vehicle really makes a difference. Jeeps are ideal due to their high seating position and big mirrors. I find reversing significantly harder in a normal car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

You should try reversing a small single axel trailer with a quad bike. Tough enough at times. Easier to unhitch it and move it manually :D

I know a few women that can reverse a trailer decent enough but they would be involved with horses as a profession. My mother is a different kettle of fish. She always knows someone at the shows to park the box for her if it needs to be parked in a tight space but usually my brother is with her and he will do it.

When ever I'm towing something it is always with a jeep or a van. Their larger mirriors and extra viewing space above small trailers is a huge advantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We used to have a trailer which waas used to transport aluminium castings
    from work to CIE Goods yard so I got try out my (very) variable geometry skills!

Its very satisying if you can complete a maneuver in a single sweep. :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Dont have an E+b licence but do have a ride on mower and trailer to cut the grass with. Have to admit it took some time to get used to it as its a single axle trailer and the mowers do a turn about on nothing. But I love it now, Usually reverse it home at breakneck speeds ie full reverse. As for the horse box, I agree that its insane, if there was an accident somewhere and she had to reverse there would be hell especially if it was on a bend (where many accidents tend to happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I used to tow a lot up until a few years ago (Dbl-axle trailers, car transporters, tow dollys, etc) - and last night I towed a single-axle trailer for c.35 miles with my fathers (non-power steering!:eek:) 1991 Golf (which he refuses to sell :rolleyes:) .

My greatest challenge was to reverse it through a gateway (in the dark) in a housing estate, with cars driving past regularly and getting in my way (when I saw lights coming I pulled over to let them by).

I must say for somebody a bit 'rusty' when it comes to reversing a trailer - I managed to get it through the gateway on my third attempt ! :D

*Silvera takes a bow*

BTW, I spotted a Mitsubishi L200 with a large double-axle trailer attached in Naas last week - complete with 'L' plates !!

(I believe it belongs to Naas School of Motoring - the only driving school that I know of which provides a jeep and trailer for lessons and test).

..........got me thinking about going for my EB test ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Any trailer with a long drawbar ie boat trailer will react much slower to steering in reverse than a stubby little garden trailer.
    I always found a double axle boat trailer to be much easier to maneuver than the little trailers that most people have.
    Definately a Jeep helps when towing and reversing, thats what they are for no?

Anybody ever try reversing when towing a car with an A-frame (impossible) or a Tow Dolly (near impossible - swivels in two places) !

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

try a 40' ;) LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

CJhaughey wrote:
    Any trailer with a long drawbar ie boat trailer will react much slower to steering in reverse than a stubby little garden trailer.

Therein is the secret, keep the trailer axle far back from the hitch point.
    Also, dbl axles becuase there are 2 simply want to go straight (or follow whatever arc the axles may make), no secret in that.

Difficult items include welder/generators and garden tools on wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

trailers....psh, noobs
    dontseethiseveryday.jpg
    Apparently he had to mow somewhere

• Advertisement

Silvera wrote:
    Anybody ever try reversing when towing a car with an A-frame (impossible) or a Tow Dolly (near impossible - swivels in two places) !

Been there - done that, not very often, but managed to reverse the car being towed on the dolly into the driveway.

Reversing using a rear wheel steering object(forklift and combine) can be mind twisting also.

I think it was my bro told me, someone had a tractor trailer with a sticking brake pad, which would lock in forward, but rotate backwards, so they reversed several miles to a garage.

and I have seen guys here having fun with a ball mounted on a fork of the forklift, so they can move trailers/welders, etc about easily in rental yards.

I have also seen a guy reversing a tipper truck with a trailer in a straight line along the road. While I was watching him, I observed an interesting feature.
    To unhitch the trailer, he lifted the hitch and then, pressed a button on the back of the towing truck, using the starter motor (stopped engine) it inched forward a few feet, so he could drop the hitch. Same on hitching up, save it inched in reverse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Used to work with tractors and had to reverse with very very large trailers.....first time I did it was all over the shop......few times of practise and I was flying....same with jeeps then when I had a trailer on the back then......havent done it in 3-4 years(car has no hitch on back) and hopped in bro jeep last week with trailer on it.....5 mins later he had to get it to reverse it.....for the life of me I couldnt......haha......practise makes perfect I suppose......

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

<boast>I learnt to drive on a farm and had to use tractors & various pulled things [trailers, shíte spreaders, etc.] so I reckon Im quite good at reversing</boast>
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

I reverse a 14' boat+trailer quite regularly....also reverse jet-skis which are quite difficult to reverse as they are a good bit narrower than the car.
    I do all my reversin using the mirrors. My Dad thought me a neat trick. When you see the wheel of the trailer in your left mirror turn the steering wheel slightly to the left & vice versa, if you see the wheel of the trailer in your right hand mirror, the turn the steering wheel slightly to the right....this will keep the trailer in a straight line.
    (i think i got the directions right....it all becomes a lot clearer in practive anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Question: what's the correct way to do a 3 point turn when towing a big trailer. I will normally try to avoid these but sometimes they become necessary eg if I need to do a U-turn and there isn't quite enough space. When doing a 3 pointer without a trailer you just wind on some opposite lock as you're reversing so that the car straightens up and the turning arc is reduced. With a trailer it's not so straightforward as if you opposite lock and reverse the trailer will jacknife almost immediately.But if you don't opp lock you're going to have difficulty making the turn as you're not reducing the arc. What I usually do is carefully put a little opp lock on and get the trailer as close as I dare to jack-knifing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

indeed reversing a trailer with two articulation points is an art form.. i learned to do it turf harvesting as we had two trailers one behind the other. takes some time to get used to..go too fast and you'll jacknife both of em. but really helps when towing trailers behind cars. i think is a spatial awareness thing, like parking. either you can comprehend the angles and movement or you cant. i would rarely have to take more than two attempts when reversing into a gateway (usually with a 16ft ifor williams trailer benind a pajero), but theres always once!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I once owned a series IIA landrover that has been an airport fire tender it had the unusual feature of a towbar mounted on the front bumper, what a gift! you could literally park any trailer anywhere.
    I would get one on the landcruiser but I don't think it is legal.

I've seen lots of older jeeps with a tow hitch fitted to the front bumper - ditto forklifts with tow ball on one of the forks.

Many jeep owners just attach it as required (then remove before going on the road).

My most challenging reversing-when-towing manouver ? ......reversing when using an A-Frame - it just doesn't want to go where you want it to go :D

CJhaughey wrote:
    I once owned a series IIA landrover that has been an airport fire tender it had the unusual feature of a towbar mounted on the front bumper,

True, it's fun to watch those tug guys at the airport scooting about pusing a pole.

Kermitt wrote:
    indeed reversing a trailer with two articulation points is an art form.. i learned to do it turf harvesting as we had two trailers one behind the other. ......either you can comprehend the angles and movement or you cant. ......

Maybe a bit like playing billiards/pool but playing indirect shots. I don't have to do it often, but still got the mechanics fairly well honed. Reversing that is, not pool.
    However, on a sidenote, for any of ye that have trailers tucked away in awkward spots, weld up a frame, with a ball hitch, 2 wheelbarrow wheels on an axle and a long handle/pole. Saves your back quiet a bit.

I see no problen with a front tow bar. All tow hitches should be removable, save a lot of broken shins.
    I had a tow ball in the front of my VW.....unfortunately it belonged to the truck that reversed into me.

The challenge when reversing with an "A" frame, the steering wheels of the vehicle being towed do not castor in reverse, they jack-knife in an instant, you either have to lock them straight ahead and skid them or have someone steer it for you.

As for doing a 3-pt turn with a trailer.... first, can you drive around the block, it may be easier. If not, and assuming it could be done at all, it's not going to be easy, cause if it was easy, a "U" turn would have also been possible.
    Might be better to unhitch, turn trailer, turn car and re-hitch, which is another good reason to have a jacking wheel on the hitch.

Cannot remember what stupid film I saw some time back. First we see a Mini-moke trying to turn in a narrow path, then in the next cut shot we see it stuck at 90 deg to the road.... I cannot remember if it ever moved beyond that position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

that scene would be Austin Powers, The Spy Who Shag ged Me.. just in case you wanted to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 alan08

I reverse a single axle 20ft boat trailer with a 19ft boat on it is 22ft long altogether the axle is at least 11ft from car. Is easily done with a bit of practice and not to tight of a place. If you have a large trailer you need a large car/jeep if you have a small trailer you need a small car/jeep it makes a big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Top gear tryed doing a turnabout with a caravan attached, didnt go down well, police presence etcetc!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ancient thread :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement