Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing History?

Options
  • 10-05-2005 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭

I accidentally posted this on the After Hours forum. :o

Anyway, I'm confused about the history paper 2 for Thursday. Could anyone who is doing this paper please detail what sections are set to appear? I know the Vikings are set to appear on one section...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

The sections are:

Transformation of Rome
    Rise of Christianity
    12th Century Renaissance and Urban Life

Don't ask me how I know. It's a secret*

*[shut uuuuup]

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SebtheBum wrote:
    The sections are:

Transformation of Rome
    Rise of Christianity
    12th Century Renaissance and Urban Life

Don't ask me how I know. It's a secret*

*[shut uuuuup]

I see. Thanks for that. I appreciate it. I got a bit concerned when I checked the old papers and found things were very different!

St Patrick will come up on the Christianity section.

Aside from that, I can't help ya any more. I know a few ppl doin 1st History, so I'll see what I can find out...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭GusherING

SebtheBum wrote:
    St Patrick will come up on the Christianity section.

Aside from that, I can't help ya any more. I know a few ppl doin 1st History, so I'll see what I can find out...

How do you know St. Pat is coming up? Good source?

Do you know if Abelard & Elouise and the 3 case studies of Ghent, Dublin and Venice are coming up too?

St Patrick always comes up. It would take some kind of biblical disaster, like snakes suddenly being eradicated from Ireland, to stop it.... Oh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Abelard and Heloise will come up. He told us it would.

Also, Elva Johnson told us St. Patrick would come up so I reckon that's a good source.

The layout of the paper is the four sections as written above with six questions in each section. So there's going to be a hell of a lot of choice.

beanyb wrote:
    Abelard and Heloise will come up. He told us it would.

Also, Elva Johnson told us St. Patrick would come up so I reckon that's a good source.

The layout of the paper is the four sections as written above with six questions in each section. So there's going to be a hell of a lot of choice.

Then I guess here would be a good start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Ab%E9lard

I've said it before and I'll say it again, God Bless Wikipedia! :D

But you have to write how the story shows the 12th century renaissance, not just tell the story! Great story though, what with the castration and the what not.

beanyb wrote:
    But you have to write how the story shows the 12th century renaissance, not just tell the story!

Oh crap.

Basically, and I mean very basically... and I'm just going my memory, I havent looked over it for a while... must do that tomorrow.

1)development of the individual - he wrote an autobiography, love poems, personal letters.

2)importance of religion - had to be a monk to teach, declared heretical for think up new stuff.

3)development of universities - cathedral schools in paris where abelard taught.

4) influence of islam - logic

hope that helps... though it probably doesnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Oh god... why haven't I done any work for this exam.

Elva Johnson gave us the six questions that are coming up on her section.
    Eddie Coleman said that something on either Ghent, Venice, or Dublin would be up.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

never mind.

Oh god... why haven't I done any work for this exam.

God I know that problem, and with 2 exams tomorrow to cram for it's so much harder! I'm only doing, the Cult of St. Patrick, Abelard and Heloise and the Fall of Rome so if they dont come up I'll be totally screwed. Though I reckon they're all guaranteed really. Ah stress... back to study!

I decided half way through my exams to take up the guitar again.... I'm sitting here strumming away while I should be studying, meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Kennington

anyone got any stuff for Saint Patrick???? I will loooooove you for it

So Ghent, Dublin or Venice could come up in the Urban section but what should we write about? And yes I am panicking!

So, how'd everyone get on? pretty sweet exam I thought. My arm feels like it's about to fall off after having politics today too!

beanyb wrote:
    So, how'd everyone get on? pretty sweet exam I thought. My arm feels like it's about to fall off after having politics today too!

Well I thought the politics paper was grand! I was well pleased! Fed 10 question was about factions which I remembered, the nation-state came up as usual and I ended up writing about Aristotle and Mill's views on participation.

History paper 2 was not so good. Great range of choice though! Still, 24 questions and I struggled to answer 3. :o I ended up doing the fall of Rome question about the barbarians, I did a question on Dublin during medieval times, and I did one on Abelard and heloise though alot of that was just waffle. I'm glad it's over though. I'm finished now! :D

How did you get on in the two exams?

Politics was good! The fed 10 and nation state were perfect. Theory was a bit dodgy purely because I wasnt really sure what they were looking for in the answer but I waffled a few pages on liberty and a few pages on participation so hopefully they're ok!

I only studied three topics for history and all three came up so I was happy. Got really tired during it though and kept drifting off into random thoughts. I got my answers down eventually though.

But after writing 7 essays in one day, my hand hurts :(

Studying for maths now, which would be piss easy if I hadnt missed so many lectures and literally not done any work for it all year. Ah well, finished after it tomorrow morning and I really cant wait!

beanyb wrote:
    Politics was good! The fed 10 and nation state were perfect. Theory was a bit dodgy purely because I wasnt really sure what they were looking for in the answer but I waffled a few pages on liberty and a few pages on participation so hopefully they're ok!

I only studied three topics for history and all three came up so I was happy. Got really tired during it though and kept drifting off into random thoughts. I got my answers down eventually though.

But after writing 7 essays in one day, my hand hurts :(

Studying for maths now, which would be piss easy if I hadnt missed so many lectures and literally not done any work for it all year. Ah well, finished after it tomorrow morning and I really cant wait!

Did you stay until the end for history? I did, in the vain hope I could get the chance to talk to this girl I've been talking to but she wasn't there and I walked out of the RDS on my last day alone. :( Ah well.

Hey good luck with the maths! That's a subject I am really atrocious at so I couldn't give you much help on that one but I'm sure you'll do fine. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Yes I knew someone was doing history today! We were in front of a gang of you and behind another gang of you in B3 - funny mix...Irish...History...RF circuits and systems all in the same row! I noticed practically everyone who was in front of us left early!

blondie83 wrote:
    Yes I knew someone was doing history today! We were in front of a gang of you and behind another gang of you in B3 - funny mix...Irish...History...RF circuits and systems all in the same row! I noticed practically everyone who was in front of us left early!

And how did your exams go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Argh, History 2, what a nightmare.

The three questions I 'studied' came up, and I still managed to write piss poor answers. And two exams in one day = bad bad bad. My hand hurts.

I left about 20 minutes before the end, nearly everyone around me left well before me.

Maths went great, and now I'm finished! Wohooooo. Except nobody else really is so I cant even go out and celebrate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

I thought history paper two was fairly ok-the question about the barbarians and the fall of Rome was identical to the first essay we done this year in my tutorial so thats good.The question on Christianity being a Roman religon suited me grand as did the one about the Islamic influence. However English paper two that I had earlier in the day......heh oh dear. Not looking forward to this medieval crap tomorrow but then I'm finished!

History went well. It was my second last exam my next isnt until the 18th and last night I felt like my exams were totally over so I ended up getting SH*Tfaced
    and wound up last night at 3am dancing down a road with my mates singing the song at the start of the the lion king while twirling around and around. I want my childhood back !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Just thought I'd bump this rather than start a new thread... do you guys enjoy history? Is it much work? Much reading? My brother studied it, so he's still got some books at home... can anyone name a few of them, and I may glance through before the summer ends? Thanks :)

What do I think of history?

This

cute frog... hehe.

but yeah history is great. I'd recommend it as a choice anyway.

• Advertisement

beanyb wrote:
    cute frog... hehe.

Cute? You should see him after a few Budweisers...

Advertisement