Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VoIP and Sky Digital

Options
  • 10-05-2005 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

With the Sky Digital service you need to keep your digibox connected to your phone line for 1 year when you sign up first.

Does anybody know if this is a problem connecting Sky Digibox to VoIP ... ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

I'll set off by saying I don't know, but:

I assume the Sky Digibox uses your phoneline for upstream traffic, i.e. sending information back to Sky, and that you need it anytime you use the service (not just the first 12 months)
    I assume the digbox has a built-in modem which connects you to their 'server'.

I'd guess the only way to connect to their server is with their digibox.
    The dial-up over VoIP you suggested - I doubt it, even if it's been implemented I doubt the VoIP provider would support it.

tbh the best thing to do is ask Sky directly.

hth,
    causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

You can use the sky box not connected to a phone line but you lose alot of functionallity. Sky box office does and I think the interactive services require a phone line.

It is in the contract that it must be connected at all times, that may mean over the first year only. I'm not sure.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

causal wrote:
    tbh the best thing to do is ask Sky directly.

hth,
    causal

I can see that phone conversation going well, most likely Sky they will just say no we don't support it/it won't work
    Not because they know it does not work but because they properly won't have a clue what VoIP is ;)
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

you only need to have the box connected to phone line for first year after that you don't as you then own the box. However then it is not possible to order any ppv movies/events etc. once a certain limit is reached without connecting to phone line.

The box does dial back randomly to sky to 'report in' and upload billings for ppv movies etc. that you have bought so that Sky can then send you an invoice.

AFAIK it dials a local number to connect to sky.

While we are on the subject same question applies to monitored alarms etc. ???????

I suppose when I get set up with VoIP I could test it :):) but just asking in the meantime ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Are you planning on keeping your landline?
    If not (and you can't use VoIP or a direct internet connection) then you may not be able to use some of the sky services!

causal

causal wrote:
    Are you planning on keeping your landline?
    If not (and you can't use VoIP or a direct internet connection) then you may not be able to use some of the sky services!

causal

No - trying to get rid of the landline totally

Only services I would use is the very very occasional box office movie and nothing else ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Excuse my ignorance, but aren't there VoIP routers that provide a POTS port so I can plug in my normal telephone? I thought I read somewhere that there's an issue with sending faxes over VoIP so maybe modems don't work either. If a modem works over the POTS interface then I would think Sky's box would work too.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance, but aren't there VoIP routers that provide a POTS port so I can plug in my normal telephone? I thought I read somewhere that there's an issue with sending faxes over VoIP so maybe modems don't work either. If a modem works over the POTS interface then I would think Sky's box would work too.

I would hope so !

I have ordered IBB 2mb service and waiting for install.

I could order the Blueface trial for a week and then test once I got my hands on a ATA.

Suck it and see I suppose !

Ah - now here something I didn't think of - Are sky expecting a call from your pstn line with your pstn line as caller id - unless you port the pstn number ???

On Sky you can go online using Sky Active to check your details... this displays a screen with name and address etc.. if you can get in to this screen then the dial-back service will work ..

Anybody want to give it a try ?

Advertisement