Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Dropping Connection

• 10-05-2005 11:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I've had a look through a few pages and can't see anything.

1st question: How to get access to the new NTL 250 modem? The IP address to access it is the same as before (192.168.100.1), but the password admin/admin wont work?

2nd question: My main problem is with my Uncle's broadband. I recommended he get NTL (which I have been happily using) and it's not working out too well for him, so I kinda feel responsible. The problem is that his internet connection drops, and there doesn't seem to be any IP address/DNS assigned from the NTL server to the PC. This can last for anything from a few minutes to a whole evening. I've checked out all the settings, connections etc. and everything seems to be correct, so I am think it could be one of 3 things:

* Problem with NTL DHCP on their server?
    * Problem with physical cable from outside?
    * Problem with modem (although the modem lights stay normal when this happens)?

If anyone has any advice on whether it's signal / noise ratio problem etc. then please let me know. Or if anyone knows what could be causing this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

try root/root to login

check here for typical values of SNR and up/downstream power levels

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

My connection drops at least a half dozen times a day and wont come back up until I restart router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Kernel

My download speeds always seemed ok but as for just normal browsing it was terrible.I emailed them yesterday with my power level output and some pings/tracert added in email.

They rang and left a message today to say "They did a test on line and it seemed there was a fault,sending out someone on thursday".

My line kept dropping also.So will know more on thursday.I have to say they were fast in replying and saying they will be sending out someone(well remains to be seen).

Get onto them.

P.s my power level output was -16 today,that not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Thanks for the infos Causal /Mad M. That webpage describing acceptable signal ranges is handy. I hope the root / root works, I will try it tomorrow.

I've at least checked my own signal is great! :)

Mad M, he did ring them a couple of times, they've sent out an engineer today who checked the signal with some device (wasn't there myself, just heard this from the uncle), and said the line was fine, and that if it happened again he would maybe need a new cable from the front of his house. Later on, the thing went again, and a couple of times while I was there. It's in the D12 area btw (same as me).

I'm trying to persuade him to stay with NTL, so if I can at least try to tell him what his problem is it might help. :)

Cheers for the help lads, and if anyone else has any ideas, I promise to pay it forward! ;)

Advertisement