Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance as a Named Driver

Options
  • 10-05-2005 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to get my first car in the summer but there's not a chance in hell of me being able to get the €4000 I need for insurance so I'm thinking of getting my little 1l polo and getting my dad to insure it with me as a named driver.

What are the legalities of this? He probably won't ever drive the car & if I have a crash will his ncb go out the window? What is ncb protection?

He has his own car as well but is always off in it so it wouldn't make sense to get insured on that. Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As far as I am aware if you have to make a claim then it is your father's NCB that is penalised. I would assume this would also effect the other policy on his own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

the ncb will not be affected if he has a step back policy or a NCB protection policy. If he has, he is only allowed to claim up to a certain amount in a certain amount of claims over a certain time frame to keep his NCB. If a claim is registered and he does have one of these protections, technically his premium is unaltered upwards providing the claim is within the insurance policy's agreed limits, The downside is this is an internal policy, meaning he can't shop around for better cover the following year as all other insurance companies class him as having made a claim. This is the info to the best of my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Also... you cannot buy and put the car in your own name if you dont hold a policy for this car in your own name - opting to drive it as a named driver under your father for example.

Easiest way would be to buy the car in your fathers / mothers name, insure them as policy holders and then yourself as a named driver. As already stated if you make a claim it will affect your father/mothers NCB

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Presumably your father is keeping his car and policy. If he took cover on your car with you named on it then he essentially begins a new No Claims Bonus. If you/he had an claim made against them it is this NCB that is affected and not the one covering his own car. By having 0 years NCB & by having you on it may not actually save much money.
    ciarsd wrote:
    Also... you cannot buy and put the car in your own name if you dont hold a policy for this car in your own name - opting to drive it as a named driver under your father for example.

Easiest way would be to buy the car in your fathers / mothers name, insure them as policy holders and then yourself as a named driver. As already stated if you make a claim it will affect your father/mothers NCB
    Ciarsd - to my knowledge that is incorrect. There are no legalities covering ownership of a car and who insures it. The driver of the car mush be covered though.
    Sometimes the insurance company ask when looking for a quote whether or not you own the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

one fly in the ointment... if you do have a claim, the insurer will investigate. if they discover what you've done, i.e. registered your car in your father's name with you as a named driver in order to get a better quote, they could refuse cover under the policy, as you have failed to disclose all facts in your proposal. the doctrine of (sp??) uberrimae fidei (utmost good faith) attaches to a policy of insurance, and you won't exactly have been very honest with them. also, the fact that you actually own the car but haven't advised them of this will be a material non disclosure, which could also allow them to avoid the policy or render it void ab initio.

the question is, how will they find out... wel, if they see that your dad owns two cars, and only drives one, then it's pretty obvious, and he isn't a millionaire. chances are that you'll get away with it, but there is a risk involved

best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

there was a case a few years ago where an insurance company refused to pay out on a similar case, they were able to prove that the named driver had permenent access to the car and used it more than 50% of the time (or something along those lines)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I thouhgt you could only be the insured on one car.
    I.E. if your Dad has his own policy on his own car, he can't have a second policy on a second car.

Although strictly speaking you must be the owner of the car, the insurance doesn't check this. I own the car my wife is insured on, and vice versa, and it hasn't been a problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

prospect wrote:
    I thouhgt you could only be the insured on one car.
    I.E. if your Dad has his own policy on his own car, he can't have a second policy on a second car.
    I think the situation is you can only use your no claims bonus on one policy.

You can still insure a second car, but "officially" you must start from scratch without a no-claims bonus. Of course you could use different insurance companies and not mention the other car, but there might be difficulties in the event of a claim, or they might require proof of you no-claims bonus before validating your policy.

I'm dealing with this at the moment so I might check back.

Cool, I would be interested to hear the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

landser wrote:
    one fly in the ointment... if you do have a claim, the insurer will investigate. if they discover what you've done, i.e. registered your car in your father's name with you as a named driver in order to get a better quote, they could refuse cover under the policy, as you have failed to disclose all facts in your proposal. the doctrine of (sp??) uberrimae fidei (utmost good faith) attaches to a policy of insurance, and you won't exactly have been very honest with them. also, the fact that you actually own the car but haven't advised them of this will be a material non disclosure, which could also allow them to avoid the policy or render it void ab initio.

the question is, how will they find out... wel, if they see that your dad owns two cars, and only drives one, then it's pretty obvious, and he isn't a millionaire. chances are that you'll get away with it, but there is a risk involved

best of luck with it

It's called 'floating' ... Theres about a 1% chance of getting caught in the event of you making a claim... Personally I like those odds ;)

• Advertisement

I think the situation is you can only use your no claims bonus on one policy.

You can still insure a second car, but "officially" you must start from scratch without a no-claims bonus. Of course you could use different insurance companies and not mention the other car, but there might be difficulties in the event of a claim, or they might require proof of you no-claims bonus before validating your policy.

You can transfer your No-Claims-Bonus from policy to policy ... Well, with Hibernian anyway, not sure about other companies

JohnCleary wrote:
    It's called 'floating' ... Theres about a 1% chance of getting caught in the event of you making a claim... Personally I like those odds ;)

interesting stat. where'd you pluck that one out of.

prospect wrote:
    Cool, I would be interested to hear the results.
    Okay as of today I've a policy with Quinn Direct on a daily driver, and a classic policy through AXA.

I wasn't able to use my no-claims for the classic policy with AXA, but they will award me a starting-off bonus of three years if I provide them with a "live bonus" cert from QD. So basically if I confirm for them that I have a no-claims bonus of 5+ years that I am using on another vehicle, they will give me a head-start on a NCB for a second car under them.

I'm don't think this is because the car is a classic, more because it is a "second car". How this might relate to the OP - you'd need to check the small print, but I can't see a crash in a second car affecting a NCB on a different car.
    JohnCleary wrote:
    You can transfer your No-Claims-Bonus from policy to policy ... Well, with Hibernian anyway, not sure about other companies
    Of course you can transfer your NCB between any insurance company - you just can't officially use it under two at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

if your father is insured with lets say quinn direct, could I get insured as a named driver with him with another company on a didderent car while he is still with quinn direct?

monster1 wrote:
    if your father is insured with lets say quinn direct, could I get insured as a named driver with him with another company on a didderent car while he is still with quinn direct?
    Just to save you having to READ the thread ( ;) ) the answer is YES. He won't have the benefit of his no claims bonus when insuring the second car however, unless he cuts a good deal with his second insurer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Stix

Assuming your father already has a car and will continue to drive and insure it the following will apply...

...they will not insure him as the main driver and you as a named driver, as this is blatantly obvious that he is not the main driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lexmark.Printer

I did that for about 5 years and never had a problem but I never had to make a claim and my mother didn't either.

My mother's first car was insured with A and had a NCB of more than 5+ years

My mother's second car was insured with B with me as a named driver and had no NCB.

If you are going down that route you should check if it works out cheaper to insure the car under your mother's name or your father's name. In my case by putting it under my mother's name it work out about 200 pounds cheaper back then! :eek:

Good Luck and drive safely!

landser wrote:
    interesting stat. where'd you pluck that one out of.

My backside

Stix wrote:
    Assuming your father already has a car and will continue to drive and insure it the following will apply...

...they will not insure him as the main driver and you as a named driver, as this is blatantly obvious that he is not the main driver.

Untrue, my father had 1 policy with Insurance company. He (I) bought another car, under his name and he was insured as the owner and me as a named driver.

Basicly, he owned 2 cars, and I was insured as a named driver on 1 of them... Might be blatently obvious but the girl in the insurance company was the one that recommended it to me!

JohnCleary wrote:
    My backside

... as i suspected

• Advertisement

Okay as of today I've a policy with Quinn Direct on a daily driver, and a classic policy through AXA.

I wasn't able to use my no-claims for the classic policy with AXA, but they will award me a starting-off bonus of three years if I provide them with a "live bonus" cert from QD. So basically if I confirm for them that I have a no-claims bonus of 5+ years that I am using on another vehicle, they will give me a head-start on a NCB for a second car under them.

I'm don't think this is because the car is a classic, more because it is a "second car". How this might relate to the OP - you'd need to check the small print, but I can't see a crash in a second car affecting a NCB on a different car.

Of course you can transfer your NCB between any insurance company - you just can't officially use it under two at the same time.

Thanks Atheist

Advertisement