Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting HU situation in a WSOP qualifier

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Nicky, at what point does it become immoral? is it heads up in a ten dollar STT, or a thousand dollar STT, or is it only when there's a WSOP at stake? what about qualifiers for other tournaments with lower buy ins?

can explain to me why it's not right in a WSOP qualifier but is right in a five dollar sit and go?

You can't arbitrarily decide at what level taking advantage of someone being disconnected is wrong.

Either you believe that the practice is wrong, or you don't. It doesn't matter how much you are playing for. There is no monetary consideration that affects the "morality" of this situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Happy Camper

NickyOD wrote:
    I don't. but I don't think winning a $5 SnG this way even compares to winning a WSOP ticket. It's ridiculous to compare the two. One is like calling your neighbour an asshole, the other is like killing his dog.

"If you consider winning the money by default more imnportant than winning it by playing the best poker then you should seriously rethink why you actually play this game."

Your above statement clearly shows where exactly you want to stand on the issue, whether you're in a Freeroll or playing for a WSOP ticket.

"I think I only ever didn't wait once but that was in the WCP qualifier which is a freeroll."

Whereas this one shows that you're a bit of a hypocrite.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Personally I have in the past ticked check/fold which is more or less the same thing as sitting out. I don't have a problem with folks who would take advantage of the situation it's just the way I have played and will play. I'm perhaps a tad supersticious too in that what goes around comes around so I want to win with a clear conscience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

Marq wrote:
    Either you believe that the practice is wrong, or you don't..

I do
    Marq wrote:
    It doesn't matter how much you are playing for...

Yes it does.
    Marq wrote:
    There is no monetary consideration that affects the "morality" of this situation.

If you don't recognice the significant moral extremes between the two then there's no way I break it into smaller more digestible parts for you to understand the significance of winning a WSOP ticket by default and winning $5.

$5 means **** all to anyone. A WSOP ticket is a ****ing dream for some people.

"If you consider winning the money by default more imnportant than winning it by playing the best poker then you should seriously rethink why you actually play this game."

Your above statement clearly shows where exactly you want to stand on the issue, whether you're in a Freeroll or playing for a WSOP ticket.

"I think I only ever didn't wait once but that was in the WCP qualifier which is a freeroll."

Whereas this one shows that you're a bit of a hypocrite.

ROFL. So if I take a stapler home from work but criticise people who steal from the payroll that makes me a hipocrite?

You're comparing a freerooll to a WSOP qualifier. Get a life mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

NickyOD wrote:
    I was watching the final table of the $250 qualifier for the WSOP on Bodog. There was an overlay so first got a seat, 2nd got nothing.

When it got to HU the stacks were 25K and 19.5K but the chipleader was then disconnected. What did the other guy "LuckyCharms" do? He sat out and waited. When the CL came back he dominated and won.

What would you in Luckycharms shoes?

You should post this in a few U.S. sites. That guy should get a free ticket from the internet site. Great advertising for everyone all round. What a player.

I gotta be honest and say that if I was in shoes I don't know what I would have done but my little mousey would definitely be hovering over the raise button. If I could win a ticket for the big one with just one little tap on the pad.... then baby I gotta drop the hammer! Oh god, I'm such a nasty piece of work!

But I definitely think that the site would really profit from giving this guy a ticket. It'll even help them fight collusion and bad excuses from players in big showdowns (morally more than practically, admitedlly).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

MMmmmmmmmmm Perrhaps there's a curve...Lets call it "THE EXPONENTIAL CURVE OF MORAL PERVERSION"..

I love that and ask your permission to flog it to death. That will be my excuse or everything from now, courtesy of Amarillo fats.

Everytime I do something a little evil I'll just say to myself, 'baby, it's time to surf that expontential curve of moral perversion'. Yeah! i love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

I have to agree with Marq and co on this... the amount of money at stake shouldn't matter; it's whether you think it's wrong or not that counts. At least Dappergent is clearly on one side of the fence, but talk about being ruthless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Bottom line is, in roughly 10 times I have been disconnected I would say about 1 person has waited, all other 9 times I have lost my chips.

Play the odds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

I love that and ask your permission to flog it to death. That will be my excuse or everything from now, courtesy of Amarillo fats.

Everytime I do something a little evil I'll just say to myself, 'baby, it's time to surf that expontential curve of moral perversion'. Yeah! i love it!
    Cheers Doc..Fan base of one.
    There was a story about Eric Seidel, he could see an old ladies cards(or her titties cant remember)...He made her aware of this fact and even suggested a different method for checking her hole cards...Then he check raised that sonuvabiatch umpteen times in a row..and encouraged her to rebuy...
    By all means be a ruthless poker player...
    But if you put so much energy and enthusiasm into an endeavour for your whole life..To study and practice to gain those small edges...But now those wholesome edges potodds, hand reading, table image are dwarfed by collusion or a dodgy internet connection...
    The exponential curve of moral perversion...is a slippy slope indeed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

I'm pretty much with Iago and Samba on this one. Its a hard world out there, even harder in 'pokerworld' TM :D

But it depends if its a freeroll/$5 tournie then i'm hitting the raise button, if it was a final table deal in a big WSOP or big money tournie 5K/10K then i'd wait.....5mins then its back to raise raise ]:)

The time out in a tournie either at the start or when they are massive chip leader (by choice) is something u see a lot online, friend does it fair amount at teh start as by the time he comes back the nutters/maniacs are either dead (or massive chip leaders :D)

Few things are black and white, there is a lot of greys, off white, faded black/charcoal in life.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

<flanders> thats a dilly of a pickle! </flanders>

Stealing anything is wrong. Stealing a fiver is not as bad as robbing a bank. But its still a *little* bit wrong.

We'd all like to do the right thing. I wouldnt rob the blinds in a 5 euro game. I'd like to think my self respect costs a little more then that. I dont know if it would withstand a WSOP ticket. I'd like to think it would but I've never been in that situation and I'm only human.

So, interesting mental game..... how much at stake would flip you from "moral indignation" to "Its a dog eat dog world".... cos thats how much your self respect costs :):)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

DeVore wrote:
    So, interesting mental game..... how much at stake would flip you from "moral indignation" to "Its a dog eat dog world".... cos thats how much your self respect costs :):)

DeV.

.10c :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Happy Camper

NickyOD wrote:
    ROFL. So if I take a stapler home from work but criticise people who steal from the payroll that makes me a hipocrite?

You're comparing a freerooll to a WSOP qualifier. Get a life mate.

I didn't make any comparisons. I'm simply extrapolating conclusions from what you said, i.e.

biteme said:

"You either think it's morally wrong and stealing or you don't."

You replied:

"I don't."

But, in a previous post you said:

But then you admitted:

So, what exactly are you feelings regarding this issue? It seems that through your careless ranting, you have confused us all...

So, what exactly are you feelings regarding this issue? It seems that through your careless ranting, you have confused us all...

So confused it took you 6 days to reply. There's nothing more I can say that isn't alread in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭The Snapper

Playing a tourney at the merrion, a guy at the table who is fairly pissed and not paying much attention misses his turn post flop. I bet he chats on and everyone else folds, Dealer starts to move chips my way and I muck my cards. Arthur guinness' best customer then wakes up as the only player with "live" cards and takes the pot after a ruling. Ettiquette ? Ruling ?.

PS. My first post be gentle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Playing a tourney at the merrion, a guy at the table who is fairly pissed and not paying much attention misses his turn post flop. I bet he chats on and everyone else folds, Dealer starts to move chips my way and I muck my cards. Arthur guinness' best customer then wakes up as the only player with "live" cards and takes the pot after a ruling. Ettiquette ? Ruling ?.

PS. My first post be gentle
    Kinda harsh way for the ruling to go but you should never muck your cards until the pot has been awarded to you.

Dealer starts to move chips my way and I muck my cards.

I could see myself doing the same thing. I don't always stop and think before mucking my cards. I'd be too busy focussing on other things and I mean if the dealer was already pushing the pot towards you I'd consider the other players cards dead since he didn't act in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Nicky - your sig has got a bit mixed up - it has dropped the 'h' part of 'http', so it isn't working at the mo...

Thanks. I seriously need to start updating that blog.

• Advertisement
Advertisement