Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom = silently lowering speeds.

• 11-05-2005 7:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Everyone I know that has eircom has problems with speeds

the plus package won't go over 109kB/s

and it's getting worse,

I think eircom realized what a huge mistake they've made by upgrading since ST, is nowhere near to threat yet. So they are trying to silently lower the speeds to "blend back" to the old speeds.

here are the results,

snag0008xr.jpg
    snag0014mk.jpg

and no, it's not my line's fault or distance, because I could max out 215 constantly in the first 2 weeks since their upgraded

the modem is still showing 2048/128 though

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I know it's been said a million times before for the wrong reason, but, contention perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

at 3-5 am? not likely

Never been effected by contention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

I think CyberGhost is experienced enough to test his connection early on in the morning when no one else is using it and wouldnt make the above comments if his speed varied throughout times of the day(slow during busines times/normal at night).

Thanks for the kind compliment Julius :)

also tried it at 11-3pm, when everyone(young and middle ages, who may use BT and other p2p) is supposed to be at work or at school, I don't think grandmas and grandpas use bittorrent and other bandwidth heavy tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭smorton

just think of all the ppl who never turn their computer off and have kazaa, bittorrent, ares, shareaza, limewire, winmx, etc etc etc, running the whole time. the time you check it could well be irrelevant

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Cyberghost is also bypassing 'normal' transparent proxies as he tested NNTP not HTTP or FTP , BTW have you tried an ftp from a linux distro site to see if you get the same result at that time dude ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

My eircom home starter was practically non existent last night from about 7:30 onwards. Since the upgrade my pings have been growing in the evening , but last night I couldn't even surf . Ran adaware , spybot , housecall , active scan , all came up with nothing .

My line has , when allowed , always been good , top d/l speeds on 56k , on UTV's dsl when they weren't having problems , and on eircoms up until recently . Using xp sp2 and the netopia 3341 witht the 7.4 firmware and using it's firewall .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Cyberghost is also bypassing 'normal' transparent proxies as he tested NNTP not HTTP or FTP , BTW have you tried an ftp from a linux distro site to see if you get the same result at that time dude ?

yes from heanet, itunes....

I liked eircom's service, it was overpriced good service, until the upgrades I haven't ever heard anyone having any problems with eircom's broadband, but now this is just, overprices crap

and forgot to add eircom's constant disconnections, physical line errors,....this is really annoying since I play games a lot.

Smart where in didly iddly are you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats pretty definitive then Cyberghost .

Eircom have throttled back the port speeds and furthermore they have throttled back the data rates on the lower speed ports from the look of it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

yeah, im getting a connection spike ( short , 500+ ping for .5 second ) nearly every minute, when going through INEX. Has only started happening recently.

Really strange and my pings fluctuate that bit more than they used to. damn eircom lol.

• Advertisement

Just got off the phone with eircom support , a guy called Jason went throught just about everything and could find no reason why my conn was moving at snails pace , said he would escalate it further and it would take from 1 to 4 days .

as a side note he did say that there was a problem in central Dublin and they had recieved several calls and were working on it .

check this out

Right click save as

downloading from here(and I wasn't downloading anything else at all, download manager was the only thing connected to the internet.)
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/i386/shrike-SRPMS-disc1.iso

the worst thing is that we can't do a thing, according to eircom having download of 25kb/s is normal
    http://home.eircom.net/speedtest/default.asp?id=1

sneak preview of eircom's new commercial:
    elton3lh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

jonski wrote:
    Just got off the phone with eircom support , a guy called Jason went throught just about everything and could find no reason why my conn was moving at snails pace , said he would escalate it further and it would take from 1 to 4 days .

as a side note he did say that there was a problem in central Dublin and they had recieved several calls and were working on it .

I've heard that line waaaay to many times .. but here is hoping .

I keep getting massive spikes , or else just get dumped off every now and again. Some of the games i play are very lagg intolerent, so before the upgrades i had some issues, but hey nothing is perfect, but now it's just getting silly :/

Well here is an update from the Roches St. exchange in Limerick .

Sitting at my pc , thinking , ok maybe it at my end , lets get set for a format , backed up what I needed to an jumped on here to see some last posts . But everything is loading faster now and I also remember a guy working at the pole outside my house around the time my problems started happening a few weeks ago , so I think I better add this to the info I have already given support . I phone looking for the same guy but that is not possible so this new guy Sean says he has my details up in front of him , I givew him the extra info he says "ok will add that " then he says that they had reports of a problem in Roches street exchange this morning and thsi problem was now fixed , problem with some equipment that would certainly have affected my line .

doing a speed test now and d/ling @ 110 KB/sec from http://159.134.223.194/dsltest/dsl.html

It all seeems to be ok now so I will hold off on that format till after this evening .

John.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it could be exchange related these problems, i havent had one single problem since the upgrade and my speed rarely goes under 210k/sec and pings are always low, its as stable as it was before any upgrades. I live on the Dunshaughlin exchange which I would feel would be one of the most underpopulated broadband exchanges in the country as we are not much bigger than an average village. If it is exchange related or contention then eircom needs to get off their ass's and upgrade the backhaul again in the exchanges where problems are occuring so that everyone can enjoy their 1mb and 2mb lines the way they are intended.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

This is crazy. I thought my connection was being dodgy. Was checking my PC to make sure nothing was downloading and checked the other machines too. Went for the speed test and my jaw just dropped when I saw the upload speed. ... 151 down (bad enough but not too much below the 171 or so typical) and... wait for it....24.4 up?!?!

I just tried that heanet download and I'm getting the stupendous speed of 16.2KB/s. I'm on IOLBB by the way. Belcamp exchange also. *sighs* At least I'm supposed to be studying. This is hardly a usable connection. I can barely use any of my webmail accounts.

God damn it , back the way it was earlier on this morning , surely this would show that it is not on my end ? I mean if I can get the speeds and then they drop again ?

Like wise Infini once said, "Eircom is crashing and burning"

you know what this all feels like?

like eircom's equipment can't handle bandwidth, and they alter it, like, limit bandwidth one exchange, give it to another and take it again after an hour or so, this bandwidth is going around the country like a peace pipe, instead of upgrading their equipment, they prefer not to do anything about it.

I know this is not how it really works, but it definitely feels like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

The new slogan has been Born.

"Welcome to the future of Broadband
    You Wont be able to get away"

T&A: We Do not guarantee service or connection as once you have had some of the peace-pipe it will be taken from you, and shared with others. We reserve the right to withdraw access to the peace-pipe should you be deemed as being high enough. As such, your perception of our service may vary greatly, due to the distorted view given to you via use of our Peace-Pipe.

Use of our Peace-Pipe is highly addictive and as such, it will thart all efforts to break-away from it, even if you attempt to migrate to use of gas-inhallation, as nothing may be allowed to make you higher than the eircom Peace-pipe

You agree to these terms, and agree to let eircom own your balls

lol

Legal Note :This is not meant as a public bashing of their QoS but more as a community joke/swipe at their current service and past actions, and is not indicative of a general experience

End of gratuitous Negation of Liability

hahahaha!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

Jonski, I am on the same exchange as you (Roches Street) and have EXACTLY the same problem, it is obviously exchange related

last night (see my other post) 16.7kbps down

this morning back to normal I was getting 800+kbps

and now it's back down to crap again

unfortunately I don't have the time or patience to get on to support atm

moshpit77 wrote:
    unfortunately I don't have the time or patience to get on to support atm

You need neither , you get through straight away . 1890 260 260 : option 1 . But you logging the call will make them see that there is a problem there . Start out nice and polite on the phone and end that way , the guys in support couldn't have been more helpful .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

CyberGhost wrote:
    Everyone I know that has eircom has problems with speeds

This would be consistent with an exchange related issue as the majority of the people you know with Eircom would be on your exchange. Juts get everyone you know to complain about the exchange and Eircom will be forced to look into it.

I'm experiencing no problems down here in Waterford so I guess its just unlucky to be you :)

What happens when I reset my modem to factory default settings exactly , besides it setting to factory default settings I mean .What would I have to do to be " connected " again . ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Since the "upgrade" eircoms service seems to have gone into freefall in a lot of places. When it comes to eircom dealing with a problem the only way you'll get them to fix is to drag them kicking and screaming into fixing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

jonski wrote:
    What happens when I reset my modem to factory default settings exactly , besides it setting to factory default settings I mean .What would I have to do to be " connected " again . ?????
    The eircom password and username are integrated into the factory settings of the modem so you won't have to do anything to be connected again!

You will lose any pinholes you have created though and your passwords will be deleted as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

havent dropped connection once since upgrade.
    210kB from heanet
    1.71mB from irishisptest.com
    upload at 15kB to eircom webspace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Chalk wrote:
    havent dropped connection once since upgrade.
    210kB from heanet
    1.71mB from irishisptest.com
    upload at 15kB to eircom webspace

almost identical figures for me, 1.71 on irishisptest, downloads at 200-220kbs no sign of slow down - on eircom plus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I have downloads of ~210K and my line is fine, I'm on the blanch exchange with BTBB+ the only problem I have is ping spikes every now and then. Maybe it's an exchange problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dr_MalPractice

i'm on UTVs 8gb/1mb/128k service, based in tralee town. on sunday my Day of Defeat pings were in their usual 60-85ms and stable to uk servers. yesterday i couldn't connect, but xfire was showing pings of 200- 5,000 for all my usual servers. same story in killarney town on a netsource connection.

surely eircom must be doing something with lines or exchanges countrywide to cause such a slowdown. can anyone cobfirm this?

xfire ID: Dr_MallPractice
    :D

Advertisement