Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom = silently lowering speeds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Home Starter Package
    On this package you should expect download Speeds of between 256kb and 1024kb (kilobits) or between 25KB and 100KB (Kilobytes)

Home Plus Package
    On this package you should expect download Speeds of between 256kb and 2024kb (kilobits) or between 25KB and 200KB (Kilobytes)

Business Plus
    On this package you should expect download Speeds of between 1MB and 2MB (megabytes) or 100KB and 200KB (Kilobytes)

Business Enhanced
    On this package you should expect download Speeds of between 2MB and 4MB (megabytes) or 200KB and 400KB(Kilobytes)
    am I the only one seeing their mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mimix

moshpit77 wrote:
    Jonski, I am on the same exchange as you (Roches Street) and have EXACTLY the same problem, it is obviously exchange related

last night (see my other post) 16.7kbps down

this morning back to normal I was getting 800+kbps

and now it's back down to crap again

unfortunately I don't have the time or patience to get on to support atm

I'm on the Dooradoyle Exchange in Limerick and im only getting 133kbps (Close to ISDN speed), Yesterday I was getting 1.71Mbps and had been since the upgrade.

BTW i'm on BtIreland Plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

well I'm on 38.2kbps now... wow that's lightning speed!

I'm glad I'm on the free trial because there's no way I'm staying with eircom when it ends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

astec123 wrote:
    am I the only one seeing their mistake?
    I think we ALL should realise that noone really knows what speed broadband package they offer. They just make wild guesses between bits and bytes and hope they get it right :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I'm getting chronic speeds here in Caherdavin (dunno which exchange we're on) with IOL BB (or BT Ireland or whatever the hell they're calling themselves now) - it was the same a couple of days ago too. I thought at first it was my P90 which was at fault, but then I tried it on a remotely modern PC and I'm getting like 40-80kb/s on www.irishisptest.com. Someone on the IOL forums is also reporting similar crappyness on the Ennis Road.

I hope it is just a temporary problem at the exchange - I won't be able to take this much longer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

41.2 kbps for that irishisptest , it says I have a 56k modem which is true !, but it's in the drawer unused for ages :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I was about to complain about mine on Netsourse, been brutally slow for the past few days, but just done a speed test and got 202K ... heh so seems to be working now, carry on :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

still crap here :(

Don't know what they are at in the Roches ST exchange but I have never seen Pings like these before

Pinging www.ireland.com

Success rate is 100 percent (4/4)
    round-trip min/avg/max = 20/20/20 msec

On allseeingeye pings look lower than ever before . But it was like this yesterday morning early aswell and then tailed off into the evening to where browsing became impossible .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

I'm getting chronic speeds here in Caherdavin (dunno which exchange we're on)

Me too...........we're on, wait for it.......Caherdavin exchange :D

Connection barely useable last evening. A little better today @ 170kb/s. Absolutely ridiculous - broadband - always on, 20 times faster than dialup - my arse :mad:

With UTV BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

just remember its only speeds up to 2mb your not guaranteed that speed, if you dont get the full 2mb since the upgrade then maby your line has a slight fault that is slowing it down and its unlikly they will or try to find it.

Well that didn't last long :(

Pinging www.ireland.com

Success rate is 100 percent (4/4)
    round-trip min/avg/max = 180/232/290 msec

Just got off the phone with James in Eircom support , they are still having problems in the Roches ST . exchange and are working to solve them .

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭j_nolan

They've definitely done something here (Wexford).

Last week, if I downloaded something from a quick server -- Microsoft, Heanet -- the speeds would start about 390, then steadily climb downward and even out around 210. Now, a few days later, they're starting off around 52 and sloooowly climbing toward 105 or so.

This has been tested at multiple times, with two different computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Dr_MalPractice

111kbps download on a 1Mbit connection in tralee town?(irishisptest) someones gotta be takin the pi$$ in a big way.

mate in killarney just got a ping of 502ms to google.com

this situation both sucks and blows at the same time. no gaming, skype becomes unusable, and surfing is almost like the dark old days of dialup.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

j_nolan wrote:
    They've definitely done something here (Wexford).

Last week, if I downloaded something from a quick server -- Microsoft, Heanet -- the speeds would start about 390, then steadily climb downward and even out around 210. Now, a few days later, they're starting off around 52 and sloooowly climbing toward 105 or so.

This has been tested at multiple times, with two different computers.
    Sorry but i find this hilarious, mister IE cache downloader

it's not cache, it's the initial burst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

CyberGhost wrote:
    it's not cache, it's the initial burst.
    Its not initial burst, its cache.

Most browsers start downloading the file as soon as you click the link. So, while you're busy choosing the location to save the file too, its already downloading. Once you choose the location, the download timer starts, and IE thinks you're downloading at XkB/sec where X is the amount you've already downloaded... if you follow that.

Its not initial burst, its cache.

Most browsers start downloading the file as soon as you click the link. So, while you're busy choosing the location to save the file too, its already downloading. Once you choose the location, the download timer starts, and IE thinks you're downloading at XkB/sec where X is the amount you've already downloaded... if you follow that.

I tell you it's initial burst and I STAND BY IT!
    too late to admit that you guys were right ;)

I could do with an initial burst of cash

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

its finally happened to me, after 6 flawless weeks of 2mb, today my line is not working as it should, it seemed a bit slow and then did a speedtest just there and its going between 200k and 450k which is worse than when i was on 512k, normally i get about 1760k, not good:( hopefully this is just due to them upgrading some exchanges throughout the country. Pings are still very good tho.

Gonzo wrote:
    its finally happened to me, after 6 flawless weeks of 2mb, today my line is not working as it should, it seemed a bit slow and then did a speedtest just there and its going between 200k and 450k which is worse than when i was on 512k, normally i get about 1760k, not good:( hopefully this is just due to them upgrading some exchanges throughout the country. Pings are still very good tho.

Welcome..........

............to the other side, muhahaha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Ive been getting a pretty constant 213-215KB/s since the upgrade without any deterioration in the service. Eircom Home Plus

WellyJ

did any of you guys with slow speeds have any improvements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I did after the upgrade i was getting 80/105 kbps on eircom home starter then all this week getting an average of 4/10 kbps till yesterday now it's gone up to a 30/40 kbps average. :mad:

Mine is back up to normal again , with some blips last night , the supporty guy said that the work here was finished but that they might be still "tweaking" it a bit .

jonski wrote:
    Mine is back up to normal again , with some blips last night , the supporty guy said that the work here was finished but that they might be still "tweaking" it a bit .

who do you talk to that gives you that kind of answers?

I usually have to be connected to some moron who doesn't know anything and just goes on to tell me that it's a normal thing :rolleyes:

so I usually end up with nothing found out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

Mine is still steady at 1714 kb/s :confused:
    Summerhill exchange btw

I'm on NEWLANDS CROSS exchange, and I'm closer to the exchange, and I get 45kb/s now :( I was at my friend's place who is on the same exchange as I and is further from the thing, and he got steady 215kb/s :|

maybe it is the cable that comes into my house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Im in ballinasloe. still getting 750-800kb connection on a "2Mb" line. Sometimes when im really lucky i can connect at 832Kb and once i nearly had an orgasm when i connected @ 1024Kb - but that only lasted about 10 mins :(

Advertisement