Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

is their much to changing bulb in car?

Options
  • 11-05-2005 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

is their much to changing bulb in car?

i.e. can i just call into my local garage and will they fix it their an then in 5 minutes?

Tks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Depends on the car. With most cars, it is quite easy and should be outlined in your owners manual. Some new cars though require garage work though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

on most cars the bulb change is dead simple most
    front- when bonnet is open, look behind headlights, you will see a plastic cover, or two, usually held in with a simple clip. remove this and theres your bulb(s)
    back- when boot is open, again look at back of light cluster, usually a plastic cover or a plastic block unit, also held in wit a simple clip. pop this off and you should see 4 or 5 bulbs.

Only exception to this is a car with sealed beam or Xenon bulbs. . dont worry, unless you drive something like a 5 series BMW or Audi A8, this shouldn't be an issue.

hope this helps

The frog.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

Cheers lads,

i will have a look at lunch,,,,,i just thought it didnt warrant bringing to a garage for something so trivial....

Tks

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Kermitt wrote:

Only exception to this is a car with sealed beam or Xenon bulbs. . dont worry, unless you drive something like a 5 series BMW or Audi A8, this shouldn't be an issue.
    Xenon bulbs can go also [just not very often]!
    Also isnt the new Megan a dealer job?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Xenon bulbs are a pain. My dad has a 166 with xenons and it costs something like €50 per bulb to replace!
    Renault cover the cost of replacing bulbs for the first two years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

God be with the days when it was a 2 min job. Its on Megane/Clio you have to take the front of the car aprt if I remember rightly.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Some cars are a nightmare e.g. mate's 93 Corolla is a garage job. The driver's side bulb on a 206 is a right pain, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Many modern cars are really bad when it comes to owners changing bulbs. I've changed a few bulbs recently

Old Renault Megane - literally a 30 second job with very good access.

Renault Laguna II - about 5 minutes, requires removal of some covers and the windscreen washer bottle neck. Even then access is tight and skinned knuckles and use of expeletives are likely.

Nissan Almera - similar to Laguna. Tight access

Renault Megane II - there is a port in the inner wing which is supposed to allow access to the bulbs after removing the front wheel. That's in theory. In practice, the port is supposed to be virtually unusable so you need to resort to removing the front bumper to get at the bulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭db

On my 98 Mondeo I have to remove the radiator grill and then remove the full headlamp cluster before getting access to the bulb. There's always the chance of dropping the headlight and having to shell out 100's for a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

On my '00 fiesta bulb changes are very easy and quick... except when it comes to fog lights. Getting access to them pretty much requires crawling under the car and fiddling with plastic clip thingies, disconnecting the wiring from the lamp and pushing the whole thing out through the front of the car. Took me ages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Depends on the bulb too.. What bulb are you changing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

BrianD3 wrote:
    Old Renault Megane - literally a 30 second job with very good access.

had to change the fog lights for my old style megane, thought it would be as simple as the other lights, also no took half an hour lying on my back on the ground cussing at the thing. wasn't too bad once i got the knack of it thou.

in general chaning bulbs is a simple job that can be done by anyone who change change a normal lightbulb

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dwayneburke

the bulb is the left front dims on a astra 99. Piss easy to take out now just have to get a bulb.

Anyone know of places in galway to get one?

Calbro on the Tuam road i hear should have it

Tks again people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

If you are a real cheapskate, like the a guy who I used share an apartment with*, you could call the AA/RAC or your insurance "breakdown" service out for free to replace a broken front bulb because the car it makes the car undrivable (legally)

*he, cringe, drove the car down the street and called at night, pretending he had to drive somewhere in the dark

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Most half decent petrol stations should have the bulbs you need unless they're crazy hi-spec expensive ones like you get on high end bmws and audis.
    That said I must have visited every other petrol station in Kilkenny before I finally found one with a H1 bulb for the aforementioned fog light.

Advertisement