Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband

• 11-05-2005 9:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

When they upgraded all accounts, eg lower packages to 1mb, higher to 2mb, to what speed did the accounts actually go up to?

I got my Esat BB months and months ago, was excited when the upgrades were announced - now I'm actually gettiing generally worse speeds the last 2/3 months since the apparent "upgrade"

Whats the deal with this?

As well as that, I am living close the an exhange so distance isn't an issue.

Another problem is that about once every 2 nights, my connection drops for a few minutes before returning. Very annoying mid-download or mid-upload, and for online gaming.

Comments

whats your speed test at www.irishisptest.com coming in as?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Download - 428kps
    Upload - 64.6kbps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Download - 428kps
    Upload - 64.6kbps

What!!!!

Your download speed cant be 428kps.
    Use IE6.0 to do the speedtest as Opera/Firefox were not the intended browsers for the above test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As in thats the speed of my modem.

Not my actual download speeds. They are about 45kb/s

I should be at minimum 512/128, and should be actually 1024/128 after the upgrade but have not received any upgrade.

I am using IE6.0 btw

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I should be at minimum 512/128, and should be actually 1024/128 after the upgrade but have not received any upgrade.

Well do remember that it is Rate Adaptive DSL. That means 1024/128 is only a max possible, if your line isn't of a good enough quality, then it operates at a slower speed.

Of course it would be worth your while to ring BT to check that they have upgraded you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

julius wrote:
    What!!!!

Your download speed cant be 428kps.
    Use IE6.0 to do the speedtest as Opera/Firefox were not the intended browsers for the above test.
    Oh yes it can, last night my download was 208kbps and upload was 80kbps. Previously I had gotten over 1.5Mbps on the speed test. This is on BT's 2Mb download, so that's 10 times slower than it should be. Gaming was impossible as pings were 800ms+ and even surfing the web was near to impossible. I'm going to call tech support this evening if it's not improved, which it hadn't this morning.

Advertisement